Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Mooo!

SRF is that shit.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    My brother-in-law gave me a 10 oz. Snake River Farms Ribeye filet yesterday so I put in the fridge for Sunday during the football games. Well I pulled it out and let it warm to room temp. and used a new Chicago Steak Rub I got from Penzy's spices yesterday. I also pulled out a 2010 Stags Leap cabernet sauvignon to go with the steak. I fired up the Big Green Egg and decided to use my caste iron pan in the egg to avoid flair ups with the drippings. Because the steak is fairly thick I opted to do a reverse sear. I put the steak on the grill at about 250 and then lowered the temp to around 225. I flipped it in 10 minute intervals and check the temps with my thermapen. When the internal temp got to about 115 to 120 I pulled it and cranked up the BGE. It got to about 650 when I couldn't wait any longer and put the steak on the grill. I flipped the steak every minute and checked the internal temp and finally pulled it at 140. I let it rest for about 7 minutes and then devoured it. For me the steak was cooked perfectly. I'll be buying more Snake River Farms Steak that's for damn sure.

I have a boner
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Reebs!

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

butt

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Can I get some Big Green Egg stoke please?

Hey egg folks - it's time to replace my Weber gas. Just about made up my mind on a large or xl BGE. Need some final advice.

Size?

Is it worth buying a stand-table rig? Any must have accessories?

Something that puts it at waist level is a necessity IMO. Especially if you go XL.

Conveggtor for low and slow indirect. Mine is BGE's ceramic, but this looks awesome. This would've kept me from buying a CI half moon.

Pizza stone
    Maverick wireless temp gauge
    A wok set up is next item for me. Waiting on the weather to warm up.

I have a small rolling outfit, that has flip out wings. I don't like for it to be in the weather, so I wheel it out of my garage.

If you are handy, this is neat.

If I go the egg route it will be outside permanently and in WY weather. Great advice on waist level. I don't like bending over anymore than I have to!

Thx!

how hot does the outside get? i.e. if the table top was wood instead of stone, how much of a gap is needed?

Mine has a gap of only a couple mm on the front side and the wood has obviously discolored from the heat of doing a few long high temp pizza cooks. So it gets pretty damned warm. Actually it has me kinda concerned about the risk of the wood smoldering, though not enough to disassemble the big bastard and remove it so that I can enlarge the opening.

And yeah, buy a bge plate setter or similar, a pizza stone (steel?), and a big pair of leather welding gloves. Beyond that I think a lot of the eggcessories depend on the type of cooking you're going to be doing. And, once you've cooked on it enough to get comfortable with it, you'll have to plunk down some more coin for a pit controller. Having a table with the egg built in is ideal but until my fil had time to build mine I just set the egg on a moving dolly with a big concrete paver on top and a cheap aluminum side table next to it to set all my stuff (beer) on.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Looking at getting an upgrade from my weber, what are the advantages of a BGE vs something like the below, which I have my eye on.

Can use it as a grill for regular dinner occasions and then plenty of room for the smoking and space it takes up will be similar to a BGE once you throw it in a cart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1455140106.394272.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	176554

[QUOTE=Beer Drinker;4664087]Something that puts it at waist level is a necessity IMO. Especially if you go XL.

Conveggtor for low and slow indirect. Mine is BGE's ceramic, but this looks awesome. This would've kept me from buying a CI half moon.

BD, what is that...? I have had my large over 10 yrs (getting ready to get an XL) and use mine almost weekly... I thought I knew all of the accessories, but have never seen that... Curious minds want to know like me...

Thanks...

@dtown
    My fil has one of those. He likes it a lot but it's a very different animal from a ceramic cooker like the egg. That rig uses a lot of fuel and makes a lot of smoke because it has a plenty of airflow and isn't insulated. It also has a lot of grill surface area so you can cook tons of food. But temperature control is not very precise, you'd be doing really well to keep it within 25* of your target temp for any extended period of time. It's a great, versatile cooker and I dig cooking on it when I'm over there.

The egg is really well insulated so temperature is control very precise, mine frequently varies less than 5* during an entire 16h cook if I'm doing pulled pork and using the pit controller. But since it's so well insulated you don't get as much air flowing through it and you get less smoke which can be good or bad depending on your needs. You can also cook at crazy high temps on the egg and, with the lid closed, you get awesome convection going on which makes big thick steaks cook really fast with great char. At ~800* it'll cook a Neapolitan style pizza in less than 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    @dtown
    My fil has one of those. He likes it a lot but it's a very different animal from a ceramic cooker like the egg. That rig uses a lot of fuel and makes a lot of smoke because it has a plenty of airflow and isn't insulated. It also has a lot of grill surface area so you can cook tons of food. But temperature control is not very precise, you'd be doing really well to keep it within 25* of your target temp for any extended period of time. It's a great, versatile cooker and I dig cooking on it when I'm over there.

The egg is really well insulated so temperature is control very precise, mine frequently varies less than 5* during an entire 16h cook if I'm doing pulled pork and using the pit controller. But since it's so well insulated you don't get as much air flowing through it and you get less smoke which can be good or bad depending on your needs. You can also cook at crazy high temps on the egg and, with the lid closed, you get awesome convection going on which makes big thick steaks cook really fast with great char. At ~800* it'll cook a Neapolitan style pizza in less than 2 minutes.
    Thanks man...good to know and definitely taken into consideration when dropping a grand on a grill.

[QUOTE=Undertow;4664204]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Something that puts it at waist level is a necessity IMO. Especially if you go XL.

BD, what is that...? I have had my large over 10 yrs (getting ready to get an XL) and use mine almost weekly... I thought I knew all of the accessories, but have never seen that... Curious minds want to know like me...

Thanks...
    It's a cast iron plate setter/conveggtor. I've got a ceramic one and a cast iron half moon. This combines the too.

Probably could sear whatever on that.

http://www.countrystoveandpatio.com/shop/cast-iron-plate-setter/

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Looking at getting an upgrade from my weber, what are the advantages of a BGE vs something like the below, which I have my eye on.

Can use it as a grill for regular dinner occasions and then plenty of room for the smoking and space it takes up will be similar to a BGE once you throw it in a cart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1455140106.394272.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	176554
    Totally different animal IMO, the side by side. I'd also get a Old Country Smoker as its $350, and basically the same thing.

The Egg seems to cook all the large cuts I want, despite my desire to buy a overkill smoking device.

5 hours in, before getting wrapped up. Sprayed with apple cider vinegar throughout.

"my desire to buy a overkill smoking device."

I think I have a bit of this in me

Cruiser nailed what I was gonna say. Down to the FIL having one

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    If I go the egg route it will be outside permanently and in WY weather. Great advice on waist level. I don't like bending over anymore than I have to!

Thx!
    Mine stays outside in WY weather all the time and never had any issues. I cook with it once or twice a week all winter, but it is a little difficult to cook at higher temps (500+ degrees) when its really cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Mine stays outside in WY weather all the time and never had any issues. I cook with it once or twice a week all winter, but it is a little difficult to cook at higher temps (500+ degree when its really cold.
    Gas isn't great either when it hits 10* or so. Think I'll make the dive into the BGE pool in the next couple days!

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Gas isn't great either when it hits 10* or so. Think I'll make the dive into the BGE pool in the next couple days!
    If you're not already decided, check out the Akorn Kamado grill from Home Depot or Lowes. It's basically an insulated steel version of the large BGE, for about $300 instead of a grand. I got one and I love it, it seems to be about 90% of the awesomeness of the BGE for 1/3 the price, and it comes with a built-in stand/table/cart (which is a little plasticky, but does the job - you could probably replace the table surface with something nicer if you were handy). It's also a hell of a lot lighter than the BGE, which makes it easier to move around.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gril...6520/204151650
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Ace Hardware has them too
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    If you're not already decided, check out the Akorn Kamado grill from Home Depot or Lowes. It's basically an insulated steel version of the large BGE, for about $300 instead of a grand. I got one and I love it, it seems to be about 90% of the awesomeness of the BGE for 1/3 the price, and it comes with a built-in stand/table/cart (which is a little plasticky, but does the job - you could probably replace the table surface with something nicer if you were handy). It's also a hell of a lot lighter than the BGE, which makes it easier to move around.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gril...6520/204151650

Review from amazingribs.com: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...do-akorn-grill
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Pretty accurate review. Mine's still going strong after 2 years, so it seems like durability isn't a big issue.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey