Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Oh its Dick Proenneke. He abandoned his family, kind of a dick. Lake Clark isn't that inhospitable, lots of game, forage, and timber out there. I'm more impressed with Inupiaq people living traditionally above the arctic circle.
    Never made any reference to his charecter or honor as a father/husband.

His ability as a carpenter was pretty impressive, although whats relevant to this thread is he seemed to always be active, rarely anything extremely strenuous, but always moving doign something, and he was thin and energetic his whole life
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    His ability as a carpenter was pretty impressive
    You don't know much about carpentry do you?

I like Dick's idea, I don't consider a god at anything

I'm on day 6 of the "insanity" workout. 54 more to go. it's high intensity, short, and doesn't require anything. My GF got me started on it.....so I can get laid again. Skijoring and backcountry are getting trumped by working at the brew store.

Anyone go to AV today?? How's tomorrow shaping up??? Is the AV backcountry skiable again??

Are you talking about arctic valley? It was great late last night, better today I'm sure.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

Well, something that is much overlooked in the series is the work required to set up the camera shots. Watch the catalog from the point of view of a director/producer and ask yourself what it would take to accomplish the feat, and then add the substance of the footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

He built a cabin in i think two or three days, which is still standing today. He furniture might not be selling in stores for lots of money to subrubanites, his work was def pretty rough, but the guy did have some skill. Regardless, if AKPM tried to tackle all the same carpentry projects, I bet he'd lose some weight.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    ok lets stop talking about diets...

I'm not talking about diets, I'm talking about exercise

you can lose weight easily by eating well and working out little. you'll still gain/maintain weight by exercising a lot and eating shitty(normal). i lost 70 lbs my freshman year of college (im a senior now), and this is something i think about/deal with every day (who doesnt). change what you eat to a higher protein diet, and eat as naturally as you can, meaning fruits/vegetables. i ran ~8 miles a day to maintain my weight before i caught on to that, now it's about 2.5.

goodluck, it's really about finding the mindset, it's gotta be what you really want.

Quote Originally Posted by timnormandin View Post
    Pal-e-fucking-ohhh.
    This, and TRX is not a bad option for you, you can do it inside or out even rings. Load up a pack with rocks grab your gun and go on 4 - 5 hour hikes. Its not the speed that matters just the time on your feet. As you keep keep adding distance.

Paleo its not a diet its just a way to get nutrients into your body to keep working out and prevent injury. Don't think of it as a diet and its not the easiest thing in the world hang in there.

Oh at least give the Paleo 30 days if you see no change then re-evaluate.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Jesus Fucking Christ... This thread is so derailed

Understand that I don't eat shitty food in the summer, I eat rice and salmon mostly
    Sub some veggies for the rice. No matter what color the rice is its making you fat, and causing inflammation.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I know, I'll just figure out how to be less of a lazy fuck and disregard all the horrible shit I put in my body. Great plan AKPM. No wonder you're a fat sack of shit. Keep feeding that pie hole of yours and think your jogging is going to take the fat off.

Guess what... IT HASN'T WORKED FOR YOU SO FAR. You already go on about how far you X-country ski. All the physical demands of your job. All the hiking and fishing and you have over 100lbs on me. And I drink WAYYY more than you do which is empty shitty calories. You know why I am not fat? Because other than the booze I eat correctly and do way less physical things than you. The fact you can dump 65lbs means it isn't medical. It means you are making yourself fat with what and how much you consume.

Sorry to put it so mater-of-factly, but the sooner your realize this the sooner you'll actually start seeing changes in your body.
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 03-05-2012 at 09:11 AM.

^^^ you put it more eloquently than i ever could

if OP had a handle on his diet (diet being what a person eats as opposed to an activity to "go on" when one gets fat) he would not be coming on TGR to get abused

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    just like there are a few women with natural E-cups. You're not one of them
    Sounds like his moobs might be pretty impressive though....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Prisoners who don't have access to exercise space or equipment and eat institutional food can get ripped doing push-ups, sit ups, etc in a high stress, low comfort environment. What can you learn from them?

If you regularly lose 30pounds in the summer, why not focus the summer less on actively trying to maximize weight loss and instead learn what will work for you to keep the weight off once you return? By doing the self experimentation and effort to understand what lifestyle changes would work for you long term you will almost certainly lose more than your usual 30pounds and come away with a plan to manage your weight better year round. Your goal is not to just get to 215 and re-inflate over the winter, but to figure out how to be sub 215 for life - break that shit down into smaller steps.

While you're at it, try a different health metric than weight - get some body fat calipers, or a tape measure, a heart rate monitor, take some fitness tests, etc. You clearly have tracked your xc ski times and abilities over the years - track something that matters more.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Sub some veggies for the rice. No matter what color the rice is its making you fat, and causing inflammation.

QFT.

You might as well be eating cake, pastries, cookies and doughnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
    QFT.

You might as well be eating cake, pastries, cookies and doughnuts.
    Actually, white rice is better than bread (no gluten/gliadin). It's still empty starch calories, but at least it's not actively bad for you.