Shoulder Surgery not successful?

So I blew out my shoulder on the mountain 3 years ago. Doc said it was a shredded laibrum, I said ok and decided to finish out the season. Dislocated it 3 more times on the mountain and 7 other times off the mountain doing other shit. Had surgery in June of 09 and rehabbed the entire summer and following fall; got the clean bill of health and celebrated... Since then i have dislocated it twice, can't throw a football or baseball any better than a 5 year old(played both sports before injury), and have pain on a weekly basis. Any other mags have this or a similar injury/surgery and experienced the same problems as me? Or have any tips/tricks to regain preinjury performance?

I had my laibrum repaired in 2009. I still am not able to throw like i once was, but am back to weight lifting and not really having too much pain. I do notice slight pain when laying on it wrong if I haven't worked out in a while. I haven't experienced any dislocation (knock on wood) since the surgery. I wonder if they didn't repair the tear 100% which is why it is still dislocating. I would go to a different doctor and see what is going on... Have you been keeping up with rehab?

I did until late fall of '10, then it was back to skiing and after the ski season focused on more important things like wakeboarding jet skiing and golf. I am doing pushups every night and am thinking I'm ok to get back to the workouts I used to do for football- minus the power snatches. I'm probably going to get a second opinion because I was told it would never dislocate again, although most if the time I am able to re set it myself as I have learned the numerous techniques of how to pop a shoulder back in. Just kind of sketches me out as I don't want it to dislocate in a bad spot (backcountry, on a long summer hike, or in the middle of a lake while jet skiing) and not be able to re set it before the ligaments tighten up and medical assistance is needed.

Mine was torn in the rear. I was able to do pushups fine, but the minute I put my arm into throwing motion, it fell apart.

Do you remember what part of your shoulder the tear was located? It really sounds like it is torn again.

how much

Stupid question:

How much did you guys get charged for this surgery? I'm considering doing it, but I'm a poor bastard. FYI -- I know everybody's insurance is different, yada yada.

Had mine done like 2010 June or some shit...anyway...its surely not 100%..did the PT after the surgery and been lazy ever since. Still get "Ghost pains" down to the elbow and when i lay on it funny it "hurts". I dont think it'll ever be 100% again, but thems the breaks. Made it nearly 31 years skiing without serious injury.

Gobig21 - If I were you I would go see a specialized shoulder surgeon for an evaluation. With as many dislocations as you've had, it may be that it's not only a labrum problem, but an actual bony socket problem (think of a golf tee where a part of the rim has been broken off - the golf ball will tend to fall off). If your shoulder dislcoates that many time, the ball can start eroding the socket and vice versa. In turn, if there is sufficient erosion of the bony part, a soft-tissue repair alone (such as a labral repair) may not be enough to hold the shoulder in place. In the interim, I completely agree with your fear of experiencing a dislocation in the backcountry where help isn't readily available, and would be very careful.

Best of luck...
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoski View Post
    Gobig21 - If I were you I would go see a specialized shoulder surgeon for an evaluation. With as many dislocations as you've had, it may be that it's not only a labrum problem, but an actual bony socket problem (think of a golf tee where a part of the rim has been broken off - the golf ball will tend to fall off). If your shoulder dislcoates that many time, the ball can start eroding the socket and vice versa. In turn, if there is sufficient erosion of the bony part, a soft-tissue repair alone (such as a labral repair) may not be enough to hold the shoulder in place. In the interim, I completely agree with your fear of experiencing a dislocation in the backcountry where help isn't readily available, and would be very careful.

Best of luck...
    I figured this is the problem, if I lift my arm above my head and I feel the damn think drop in the socket about 1/4in, is there a repair for this? I'm only 21, do I have to look forward to a lifetimes worth of pain and dislocation? Am I fucckin doomed never to play catch with my future sons?

There are definitely things that can be done to fix this kind of problem (each with risks/benefits) and there is no reason you shouldn't expect to play catch with your future children. I think the next best thing is to see a surgeon who specializes in shoulders - some surgeons do fellowship training ONLY in shoulder, which is likely your best starting point. You'll likely need additional studies such as an MRI or a CT arthrogram (the latter of which involves injection of dye into the joint and shows the bony details really well), and then you can have an honest discussion about your options. This is especially true b/c you're only 21.

Again, best of luck.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.