Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: NE Riding 2012

Holy shiiiit the conditions are good right now! I wish I didn't have to work for a living and I could just ride....

word! it's going to be a wicked reality check when it gets humid and the bugs wake up. the grip in the woods is alltime right now. let's see more pics everyone!
    crab in my shoe mouth

I coming off having the flu last week, during the heatwave. I don't know what was the worst: the flu, missing the awesome riding weather, or the weather putting the final nail in the coffin on winter. Anyways, I'm stoked to get out and ride this weekend, think I'll be recouped enough by Saturday.

Vietnam was incredible today. All the trails, stunts, drops and the jumps are riding like its July. Good way to spend a Sunday.

Sent from my DROIDX using TGR Forums

With the exception of Red Tail Trail, virtually all the stuff in North Conway is in mint condition. We're easily 5 to 6 weeks ahead of normal. Even better with no leaves and no bugs, tacky trails, long sightlines. It does not get much better.

Thumbs up

Had a nice ride at Winchester(VA) today. The trails are dry and buffed. Looks like I missed the trail work day again.

Hitting up the Shed Thursday AMish for more biking then going for a B2B run in the kayaks afternoonish near Harpers Ferry. Life is fkna good!
    watch out for snakes

Shitty cellphone pics incoming!

Found a new line in the woods last night; its another way down to a sweet trail from a fire road. Everyone loves drops to flat, right?

One step:

Two step:

It may not be mud season out there, but it is dog doodie season. Got a nice big glob on my front tire halfway into my ride last night.

Some GoPro pics from Sunday at Vietnam.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip-2011-05-19075604.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	113708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip-2011-05-19085418.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	113709  

Just got back an hour ago from a quick rip at Willowdale. That place is so fuckin money right now its crazy. Packed and tacky. Even the fireroads through the swamps were dry for the most part. Best conditions I think I've seen there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

birdman, any suggestions for a route around Willowdale? I haven't ridden there since I was about 12, and I'd like to not take a stupid route on my way though tomorrow and feel like my old stomping ground is crappy.

I did some exploration around Winchendon yesterday:

Found some nice stuff near the end, but lots of sorta lousy doubletrack before finding the single track.

Anyone going to be hitting Bradbury Saturday or Sunday?

fort rock is riding really well right now

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    birdman, any suggestions for a route around Willowdale? I haven't ridden there since I was about 12, and I'd like to not take a stupid route on my way though tomorrow and feel like my old stomping ground is crappy.
    Sure. Starting at the Linebrook road side across from the farm, ride through the gate and along the field, bearing left at your first junction. You'll see a singletrack on your right. Take that. It will cross over a fireroad after and you'll come to a 4 way intersection of singletrack. Go straight through, across a couple more fireroads and it loops you back to the same intersection again. Go straight again then bear right at the next singletrack fork. This will eventually dump you out on a fireroad and you want to bear left, heading slightly downhill. Look out for the next singletrack a couple hundred yards down on the left. That loops around for a mile or two before dumping you back out on the fireroad. Take a left and look for the next singletrack starting this time on your right. That dumps you out on the fireroad again, take a right go across a real wet section of fireroad and you'll find another singletrack section.

Kinda hard to describe but you get the picture. That pattern pretty much continues. Once you find one singletrack its always fairly easy to find the next one after you get dumped back on the fireroad. Usually less than 100 yards away. Even if you don't follow my route, you won't have trouble. Just think like a tracker and try to figure out what direction everyone else seems to go when each section ends. Tough to really go wrong. You'll probably want to bring a DCR map with you though. None of the singletracks are marked on the map but you can at least bail out to the fireroads when you're ready to head back to the car. You can make a pretty long route in there if you want. There's gotta be at least 20 miles of singletrack. I doubt I've found it all and I ride there 1-3 times a week.
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

couple of shot's from yesterday in Walpole.
    it does not get better than this.
    nice cool air yesterday.
    my buddy Pedro came down with a half zipper of the 'ogre'.
    some of the dankest nugg's i've evah tasted.
    i love smoking weed and riding bikes!
    heading to STAB for the first time this year, today.
    git sum!

crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    i love smoking weed and riding bikes
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head right there.

town loops are riding great right now. Really have not explored what else is actually dry since the official as its going be SMBC word right now till the 15th is dont ask dont tell.

It's been good and dry down here.

Even managed to clean up the garage/shop a bit.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Holy shit your garage is awesome. Thanks for that. Something to aspire to.

ct

ct riding is so good in so many spots. used to race a bunch down there back in the day.

riding the stratham alps in the a.m. tomorrow if anyone's interested. bunch of power climbs and limited tech, no fun

rog

Damn right. Going to Lynn. 100% tech, no power climbs. Pure fun.

Time to test my hand out after my retarded 2.5 mph over the bars while chatting and kind of looking back wreck last Friday. Longest time not mountain hiking since... errr.... like last winter. Back in the good old days when southern new England actually got snow.

Btw, anyone going to highland opening weekend? Getting pretty pumped for it myself I must say. Conditions are going to be all time if this weather continues until then.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman829 View Post
    Holy shit your garage is awesome. Thanks for that. Something to aspire to.
    Man, I actually think it's a mess. Tiny little one-car. We don't use it for a car, but one of my little mental challenges was/is to have it able to take a car if need be with minimal hassle. Everything out can be tucked away, and my or the wife's car can juuuuuuuuust slide on in. Bike room/spare house repair/renovation junk/yard junk all has to fit in here, so... Have a nice attic for storage, but don't want to schlep this stuff up there. Decent sized basement as well, but same deal - other than some of the leftover and spare renovation crap, don't want to have it taking up space down there.

Went way up the walls, since the ceiling is nice and open. Pegboard is evolving as I figure out what gets the most use/needs to be there. The least used stuff keeps making its way higher and higher up the walls/off the rafters. It's a work in progress. Un-insulated roof and one large exterior wall, though the interior walls are insulated, and the garage door is a thick insulated one - the place gets damn chilly in winter. At some point I'll throw some stuff up over the uninsulated bits. Meantime, a heater in winter with the rubber mats and lotsa' warm layers. At least the old fridge holds a lot of beer.

Cabinets on the left were there - no reason to ditch them. Built the work bench/table with the fold down leaf for a bit extra work room, since it had to stay so narrow. The top is basic 3/4" ply that I can swap out nice and easy if it gets too fucked up down the road. Will probably make the drop down table section a bit bigger, with better support at some point, and figure out a good spot for the table saw once I get things a bit more squared away.

Expanded the upper shelving a bit as well - got to make better use of that. I like our small house, and don't want to really do a small shed or anything, but it would let me get much of this stuff out of here and make it a bit more of a proper workshop... Maybe not even have to worry about it - there is enough space for everything, I just have to get of my ass and get it put together a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    Damn right. Going to Lynn. 100% tech, no power climbs. Pure fun.

Time to test my hand out after my retarded 2.5 mph over the bars while chatting and kind of looking back wreck last Friday. Longest time not mountain hiking since... errr.... like last winter. Back in the good old days when southern new England actually got snow.

Btw, anyone going to highland opening weekend? Getting pretty pumped for it myself I must say. Conditions are going to be all time if this weather continues until then.
    not highland, but am thinking to maybe get up to platty when they open.

Conditions are going to be all time if this weather continues until then.
    yer MUCH too young to be using "all time" my friend.

hp soon? got a new weapon to show you. you should be scared, mmmmwwwwaaaahhhhh!

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    yer MUCH too young to be using "all time" my friend.

hp soon? got a new weapon to show you. you should be scared, mmmmwwwwaaaahhhhh!

rog
    Only if you ride the rigid. The combination of rog and full squish is not allowed. Maybe we can get drew to make the journey up too. I think he has finally accepted giving up on winter since he rode the others day. Hp would be just about the perfect middle ground for us 3.

Only if you ride the rigid. The combination of rog and full squish is not allowed. Maybe we can get drew to make the journey up too. I think he has finally accepted giving up on winter since he rode the others day. Hp would be just about the perfect middle ground for us 3.
    heh. this new thing i'm riding is a fucking beast of a machine. climbs like a homesick angel too. fort rock felt like willowdale the other day. pick a line? we don't need no stinkin line!!!

would be stoked to hook up with youz boyz at hp.

decided to ride road today, yay

rog

good stuff y'all!
    yesterday at STAB was redonk!
    place is completely blown, like no leaves anywhere.
    wicked tacky loam.
    no blowdowns and they removed that nasty head high widowmaker on Sluice.
    now you can just chuck it right down that chute into the switchbacks.
    i'm convinced. it's my favorite place to ride bike's.
    seven miles from exit 8 I91. thirty five minutes from my place. woot.
    no pics from yesterday, rode with a couple of my boys from Franconia.
    they love STAB.
    crab in my shoe mouth