Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: NE Riding 2012

Quote Originally Posted by macdadmorgan View Post
    Buttah, I ride Earl's, and Bachelor St a few times a year, but not enough to be a tour guide. I can always try, but... I tend to stay up in the hills out of convenience, Hawley, Conway, Charlemont, and DAR.
    Riding up in Charlemont, eh? Didn't know anyone was actually riding those trails besides the guy building them.

Quote Originally Posted by macdadmorgan View Post
    Natedogg, I am still out here. I was going to send you a PM, I talked with Dfinn yesterday and he mad mention that you two rode up in BC last year, and I should get in touch with you if I was ridding the Nam. Oh well, maybe next time.
    Yeah, it was good to see him. Is he out there for good?

I may actually be able to sneak away Friday to ride Nam--need to convince my boss. What time you thinkin? I'll see if I can do it. Disclaimer--I haven't been riding as much as I hoped, so I'm pretty out of shape. No worries if you don't want to ride with a sandbagger.

There are also some pretty nice trails closer to Boston if you're looking to get out on your own for a quick spin--Cutler Park in Needham and some other trails in the area that skibumnh can tell you about.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    Yeah, it was good to see him. Is he out there for good?
    Most likely!

Nate, I'm in Whistler for all of August this year. Are you coming out again?

Been psyched to get out the past few days (Willowdale and the Fells), but the shit air is kind of killing me. Fells- 'meet the new Fells, same as the old Fells...' meh.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Been psyched to get out the past few days (Willowdale and the Fells), but the shit air is kind of killing me. Fells- 'meet the new Fells, same as the old Fells...' meh.
    Seen any of the new reroutes on the Orange trail near the sheepfold yet? The NEMBA bit is hopefully going to be good once it gets beaten down more (there are two corners that are basically 90 degree turns that are really odd). There's another trail that the Stoneham Conservation Commission built that is basically a four foot wide dirt highway, totally stupid. They did some really bad drainage work on it too, I'm betting it'll be a muddy mess after today's storm. I'm not sure what's more aggravating, making it a super wide super smooth trail that is essentially another fireroad, or the fact that they shut off the big rock staircase on the orange trail (it wasn't sustainable, but it was damn fun up and down).

^^ I made a Strava segment climbing the Bear Hill road towards the fire tower and looping back down through the new section of trail, pretty sure I called it "Bear Hill up to new dirt down" or something along those lines..

Bring it, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Had a fun ride on Sunday with powbmps and his non-mag friend. Got to check out a nearby spot (Spiers Falls/Moreau Lake) that I've been trying to get friends to explore for over a year now. Since it's well known to start with a big climb, everyone else was always making excuses... so thanks to powbmps for finally making it happen. The big climb was no joke - at least for around here - but we were treated to a nice variety of singletrack up high with some cool views and a healthy dose of sort of sketchy, but totally fun sections of trail. Then to finish it off, that big climb from the beginning served as a stupid-fast, grin-inducing downhill back to the car. Very fun, well worth the early morning start.
    Thanks for leading us around radam. Sorry I was dogging it so bad . Still had a fun ride.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    Lynn sounds right up your alley then. I could do Wednesday as long as I'm done by 11:30am and I'm free all day Thursday.
    Are you guys meeting up on Thursday? I'm heading north out of Boston around 10:00 am. Thinking of bringing my bike and hitting something close to 93 on my way back to NH.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Seen any of the new reroutes on the Orange trail near the sheepfold yet?
    I haven't. I don't mean to diss my beloved Fells- a pretty great resource within Metro Boston. I love to hike there, I guess I just like to ride elsewhere more. On today's ride I had a pretty bad attitude to boot- my dog was a mud-monster trying to stay cool and I just hate how much loose garbage you have so suffer through to get from one fun section to another. All told, a really fun morning none-the-less, and I i'll always credit the Fells and rides with the likes of mildbill for making me a much better rider. I will have to hit up that Strava segment so you folks can have a nice chuckle at my snail's pace.

Word word.

I'm not a fan of the reroute south of the sheepfold, cause it split off just before my favorite jump, that little table of roots between two trees. Otherwise, i think it will be an improvement once it's worn in. I always skip that hill north of the field in favor of cutting through the reservoir, but it sounds like I should continue that trend. The Fells is my go to spot as it's super convenient on my drive home from work. While yes there are a number of loose rocky slopes that haven given me many a pinch flat, there is a little bit of everything on my loop and I can really push myself knowing where almost every rock is.

I used to ride the Fells several times per week but it got to the point where I didn't feel like dealing with all the people, traffic getting there, not finding a parking spot and dogs chasing me around. I do still enjoy the occasional Fells ride, there are some nice rocky, gnarly lines there.

I live south of downtown, so if I'm driving North on 93 I might as well keep going to Harold Parker - that place is fucking fun.

Anyone up for a MTB ride after work today North of Boston? HP, etc...

[QUOTE=powbmps;3691804]Thanks for leading us around radam. Sorry I was dogging it so bad . Still had a fun ride.
    /QUOTE]

No worries. If you couldn't guess by the lack of other riders and absence of cell (and possibly gps?) service, that was not a spot I'd want to check out solo. I was just glad to finally ride it. Definitely let me know when you're back in the area, we'll have to ride some more fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by crank54 View Post
    Sadly, I'm not around today, but you want to ride sometime next week? I need someone to give me a good ass kicking, and show me that I'm still a worthless XC rider, and you're the perfect person for that!

You live in Beverly, right? Maybe a Beverly farms/Gordon ride at some point?

All this talk of Lynn and the Fells is making me nostalgic - lived between the two in 1999-2001, rode both quite a bit. Harold Parker, Wompy, Otis/TOT, etc. Bunch of stuff I've not ridden in a long time.

One of these days I'll have to get over there and get some rides in.

Same for all the stuff around Portland, ME area. My in-laws are close to there, but all the trips have revolved around holidays, or been during shitty weather, so haven't bothered to bring a bike.
    Bradbury and Sunday River wouldn't be too far from their place, either.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    I haven't. I don't mean to diss my beloved Fells- a pretty great resource within Metro Boston. I love to hike there, I guess I just like to ride elsewhere more. On today's ride I had a pretty bad attitude to boot- my dog was a mud-monster trying to stay cool and I just hate how much loose garbage you have so suffer through to get from one fun section to another. All told, a really fun morning none-the-less, and I i'll always credit the Fells and rides with the likes of mildbill for making me a much better rider. I will have to hit up that Strava segment so you folks can have a nice chuckle at my snail's pace.

Word word.
    Haha no worries man, I've been getting pretty sour on the place myself lately. And yes, swede, I loved that jump! I didn't realize it was gone until I rode the reroute the south-to-north direction and noticed the old trail filled in.

The Fells is a great place with some really fun trails. The biggest attraction for me is that it is very easy to get to. Lynn isn't much further by mileage, but after work there's only so much traffic I want to sit in.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    Sadly, I'm not around today, but you want to ride sometime next week? I need someone to give me a good ass kicking, and show me that I'm still a worthless XC rider, and you're the perfect person for that!

You live in Beverly, right? Maybe a Beverly farms/Gordon ride at some point?
    I grew up in Beverly, but I'm in Billerica now. I'd love to show you around the North Shore a bit though (or do you live there... can't remember.) Anyway, let's ride soon. Are you still on that ridiculous hardtail?

My kid is KILLIN' IT lately We've been getting out around 6:30am or so my last few days off and going to my old favorite spot. It's all rocks, roots and mud with long windy singletrack and climbs for miles. I finally built up a 26" hardtail for her and the difference between her old 24 and the new one is astounding. She's rolling stuff that used to have her walking and climbing like a billygoat. I had almost forgotten how 13 year olds have nearly limitless energy once they get warmed up We'll be 40 minutes into it and she comes rolling up behind me saying "c'mon old man, roll!" Bitch...

She desperately needs a full squish bike though, hardtails and 97 pound riders are a bouncy combo and that's what's holding her back from really making the step up to the next level. Anybody here have any experience with the Pivot Mach 4 in the XXS size? I need to come up with something with about a 20" top tube.

I grew up in Beverly, but I'm in Billerica now. I'd love to show you around the North Shore a bit though (or do you live there... can't remember.) Anyway, let's ride soon. Are you still on that ridiculous hardtail?
    I live in Lynn so I know the area pretty well. I just forgot that you didn't live in Beverly anymore.

So yeah, HP would probably be the best middle ground. We could also do a Russel Mills/Greatbrook farms combo ride. That is right down the street from you (and also right down the street from school for me). Russel Mills only has like 6 miles of trails, but everything is really good. We could probably go out and do every trail in both directions in under 2 hours.

And yeah, I'm still on the shitty and heavy (but indestructible) hardtail.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Most likely! Nate, I'm in Whistler for all of August this year. Are you coming out again?
    Jesus, really? Damn, no, don't think we are making that trip this year. Maybe next year--you making it an annual trip?
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Riding Landlocked tonight at 6 parking at the Flat Breads lot in Bedford.

Quote Originally Posted by prophet0426 View Post
    Riding Landlocked tonight at 6 parking at the Flat Breads lot in Bedford.
    Ah, cool! That's right down the road. May see you there. You riding solo or with a group? What riding ability / speed?

Crank, could meet you at HP around 530.

Cool, love HP. What lot, Jenkins Rd?

yeah, Jenkins lot, I'll be in a silver outback with RI plates

Right on, see you then. I'll be in a black 3-series.