Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: NE Riding 2012

I'll be at Otis AFB all weekend with a small crew. Look for a red bearded dude. Should be a solid three-dayer coming up, y'all have fun out there.

I'll be cruisin' around the Kingdom Trails again this weekend with the fiance. If you see a grey TransAM, ask for change...

I'll be doing a 2 hour ride in Needham on Saturday if anyone around boston wants to join.

Will be at Plattekill with ML242 on Monday. DH time

STAB again Sunday morning if anyone is around. Need to be out of there by 11.

Hack hack, cough. What a weird set of conditions- super humid air, dry as the desert dirt. Still great though- Otis is fun as hell- a lot of climbing for coastal souther NE. Saw noone in there all weekend- fine with me. Hope y'all had fun too. Thanks veterans.

Rode Pear Hill out in Townsend yesterday. Some real fun stuff out there!

The pollen was super crazy though, clouds of it were floating around after strong breezes, and we saw more grilling at a friend's house after. I came home and had the windows open all day and the pollen even coated the floor of my apartment!

Did a 45 mile offroad loop thru western mass yesterday - Robinson, M&M, Granville, and return. Nasty air conditions, some sections of the forest were hazy with pollen. When the rider in front wacked an overhanging branch, clouds of pollen were released. Dirt is surprisingly dry, too. We need some rain pretty badly.

Had to spend a few minutes soaking my head in a tub of water when I got back to clear my eyes and nose of pollen and dust. Fun ride, but...bleck.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    The pollen was super crazy
    Out of a crew of 4, we all spent the last hour of the ride hacking and heaving- the pollen/dust/humid air cocktail was kind of a killer. Our dog got so overwhelmed by the conditions (after charging for 2.5 hours) that upon getting home he housed about a gallon of water and then hacked and puked his way through the afternoon. Very strange condish overall, we need some steady rain to clean things up and hydrate the ground.
    Last edited by biggins; 05-29-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Attitash and Red Tail were good yesterday... Tash was a little dry and it seems to get more and more washed out every year, but still great tech trails.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Wicked sticky humidity down my way (CT) the last few days. Managed to ride the last three days, but only about two hours each before just feeling too wiped out. Ugh. Between the humidity and pollen crap floating about, I nearly passed out while mowing my lawn this morning. Got to throw my pack in the wash soon - it's getting really disgusting.

Don't go leaving your nasty bike duds in the car, kiddos!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Ditto. two hours yesterday was about all I could muster too. Felt f'n good but wow, sticky gooey air for sure!

Oops, clothes are still in the trunk. Black car, hot sun gonna be special when I open it huh

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Wicked sticky humidity down my way (CT) the last few days. Managed to ride the last three days, but only about two hours each before just feeling too wiped out. Ugh. Between the humidity and pollen crap floating about, I nearly passed out while mowing my lawn this morning. Got to throw my pack in the wash soon - it's getting really disgusting.

Don't go leaving your nasty bike duds in the car, kiddos!

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    Attitash and Red Tail were good yesterday... Tash was a little dry and it seems to get more and more washed out every year, but still great tech trails.
    How are the Attitrash trails these days? Have they jumped on the bike park bandwagon actually built jumps, berms, features, etc?

Not at all. It's all just techy gnarly rocky rooty tight trails straight down the fall line for the most part. It seems like trail maintenance isn't a huge part of their budget. They've definitely made some minor improvements and minor new reroutes to curb major erosion, but soil on most of the trails has been winnowed leaving either boulder 'pavement' or bedrock. I wouldn't mind one or two longer, faster, smoother, pedally trails, but I don't get the feeling they have any inclination towards getting a machine up there.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    Not at all. It's all just techy gnarly rocky rooty tight trails straight down the fall line for the most part. It seems like trail maintenance isn't a huge part of their budget. They've definitely made some minor improvements and minor new reroutes to curb major erosion, but soil on most of the trails has been winnowed leaving either boulder 'pavement' or bedrock. I wouldn't mind one or two longer, faster, smoother, pedally trails, but I don't get the feeling they have any inclination towards getting a machine up there.
    I figure most ski resorts with lift assisted mountain biking have gone the bike park route. Even Mt. Snow and K-mart have some pretty nice new man made trail features. At least Attitash is keeping it old school with natural, teeth shattered New England DH trails.

Needham MA ride tomorrow evening anyone? Trails were riding great over the weekend and it seems the worst of the tree pollen has passed. Thinking 6pm, 1.5 to 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by skibumnh View Post
    Needham MA ride tomorrow evening anyone? Trails were riding great over the weekend and it seems the worst of the tree pollen has passed. Thinking 6pm, 1.5 to 2 hours.
    Did 10.5 miles in Cutler today and will probably be there again tomorrow, but I'm afraid you're are going to be too late for me.

I'm out of work in Watertown at 3 and pick up my daughter from the in-laws in Newton by 6 so my window is short and early... anyone with a similar schedule tho, let me know.

I avg'd about 7.5 mph today if that gives you any indication of my skill / fitness level.. both are still pretty lacking, but it WOULD be nice to chase someone around for a bit if anyone is near my pace.
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 05-31-2012 at 08:58 PM.

I might be able to do 3:30 to 5:30 and I'd be happy to show you around the other side of town where you'd be lucky to break 5mph for any stretch. Shoot me a PM.

Bumping this thread because its cold and pissing rain. I'm heading up the NEK this weekend. Burke campground is full.......any other rec's for camping up there?

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    Bumping this thread because its cold and pissing rain. I'm heading up the NEK this weekend. Burke campground is full.......any other rec's for camping up there?
    Upper parking lots at Burke Mtn have worked for me. Keep it low profile and good to go. Enjoy. Love that place.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Upper parking lots at Burke Mtn have worked for me. Keep it low profile and good to go. Enjoy. Love that place.
    Haven't tried that, but I've seen a few others pull it off quite well. They've been locking the gate, but most are parking at the road to the right and walking up without getting hassled. If you don't mind the drive, there's a campground in Island Pond, or you pay a few more dollars and get a room. Lynnburke isn't bad, close and fairly cheap if you have a KT season pass and book online, or you could take a shot at the Lyndon Lodge, though that's probably full by now...

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    Brighton State Park about 15 mins past Burke Mtn. Real quiet, some sites on the lake, new/clean bathrooms and showers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

3rd Brighton State Park in Island Pond. Very nice- not too far from E Burke.

Just poking around Facebook and found these pics my friend took last Fall. Figured I would post a few up since he got some pretty sweet shots. Some NE tech riding at its finest...

^^^^^^Holy Jeebus, where is this??!!

Quote Originally Posted by birdman829 View Post
    Brighton State Park about 15 mins past Burke Mtn. Real quiet, some sites on the lake, new/clean bathrooms and showers.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    3rd Brighton State Park in Island Pond. Very nice- not too far from E Burke.
    I'll give this place a go, thanks for the tip. Weather actually looks good.