Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dynafit speed radicals with a big ski???

I've been touring a good bit more this year and I'm planning to add to my current one ski quiver (196 Lhasas with barons). I find the combination of ski length, weight, and having to take my skis off a bit of a bitch (...really I just want more skis).

I recently scored a pretty sweet deal on some 2012 model Dynafit speed radicals and subsequently scored some fat-ypus I-rock FTs (thank your gearswap). I know this set up doesn't make a ton of sense (super light weight binding with fairly heavy ski), but will I was wondering if anyone had a good reason why these two should not wed? Speak now before I mount them.

All the Dynafit binding line are pretty much functionally identical... go for it!

actually, it makes a lot of sense. get the ski you want and put dynafits on it.these bindings tour so well that the weight of the ski doesn't matter so much.

Not as much ski-binding contact with the speed vs. the others in the radical line. Science tells us that this may affect the transfer of energy from you to the ski.

Might be a little goofy, but hey, much stranger things have happened.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

I had these mounted up this week and the tech looked at my like I was loco. He seriously cautioned me against skiing these bindings hard and was a bit hesitant to even mount them. This has me a bit concerned. Does anyone out there ski hard on speed radicals?

Don't be a pussy. put em in lock out mode and rip.

Speaking from experience or are you just super gnar-gnar internet skier?

I now have over 100 days of hard skiing (touring, resort, and cat-skiing) with Speed Radicals on 190cm DPS Wailer 112RPs. No issues whatsoever. Go for it.

thanks ktnskier. I'm heading out this weekend and looking forward to trying out the radicals.

Quote Originally Posted by ELski50 View Post
    I had these mounted up this week and the tech looked at my like I was loco. He seriously cautioned me against skiing these bindings hard and was a bit hesitant to even mount them. This has me a bit concerned. Does anyone out there ski hard on speed radicals?
    No reason to be hesitant on the set up. If you really want the 12 din just throw in a 12 din spring and done. ive been skiing the ft 12 for a while on bigger skis and there fine. The new rads are harder to get in because of the "power towers" but they help prevent from pre release being pushed out the front by the ski flex and heel piece jammin into your boot. thoes and the wider, stronger wings your set. Dont let a little metal binder scare you, dynafits last and are stronger than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Marshack View Post
    Don't be a pussy. put em in lock out mode and rip.
    Did you spend a lot of time on this gem?
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

thanks ktnskier. I'm heading out this weekend and looking forward to trying out the radicals.
    How did this go?

I have some I-rocks on the way, and am looking at options. I need a reliable resort binding, and stupid as it might sound, I would like to do the odd rare tour on them (cant afford/justify second ski). Plus sidecountry stints on soft days. All the burly AT bindings seem full of comprimises. As I scored some Dynafit Titans on the cheap. I got a sudden urge to simply fit some Frredom plates. Sounds like a sweet set-up for travelling 1xskis, 1xboots, 2x bindings, 2x boot soles, and a screw driver.

Seems perfect, unless the rockered powder ski plus dynafit is a no no.

Would also mean I had nice stock of ski gear, and would simply need a more touring orientated ski in the future.
    Last edited by Smallfurry; 06-20-2012 at 03:58 AM.

I ski Dynafit speed classics on 186 ehp's and there is absolutley no issue with the binding at all. Purely a backcountry setup, but skied them once inbounds and they did just fine. Pro form price (compared to ft12) was over a $100 difference, so I went with the lighter lower DIN binder (in bounds only ski on fks) and have no regrets. In factI know many guys who only ski dynafits and everyone of them prefer the lighter binder (price & weight). If you don't mind locking out the toe you can straight charge on these bad boys and I assume the speed radical is even less likely to have pre-release issues.

check out how Hoji charges on dynafits, it will put your fears at bay...
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7

I'm personally not too worried about over powering the binding. I'm an intermediate blouse. I'm not really worried about groomer performance either. No binding is going to make the lame skier + powder ski combo a good one on preped snow.

I just want to connect my Titans to my 176 i-rocks, in a way that allows for max fun in the soft stuff, and allows for some walking.

Tempted just to chuck some radical FT 12s on, and jump the learning curve. 8.5 lbs all-mountian powder skis, with FT12s and titans, sounds like a nice light set-up to me. I especially like the way the Dynafits allow the ski to flex. Seems important on a such a ski.

Definitly would be interesting walking with 158mm shovels.

you'll just have to get used to not having brakes. not a big deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by reukk View Post
    you'll just have to get used to not having brakes. not a big deal though.
    The fact that you can get the radical FT 12s with 130mm brakes off the shelf. As opposed to buying almost any other AT binding and needing to buy wide brakes as an extra. Is what makes them a come in at a OK price.

Even if walking efficiency is way down the list of prioritys. Is it such a bad chioce? Low stand height, minimal effect on natural ski flex, and low weight.

The obvious chioce for my usuage, the duke, has 10mm or so more stand height, and it stiffens the ski.

If you disregard weight the Salomon Guardian, or a MFD plate with alpine binding, offer both natural flex and low stand height.

As I see it, it comes down to the elastic travel of the release guardian/MFD vs the low weight of the FT12s.

Over thinking I think

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfurry View Post
    Even if walking efficiency is way down the list of prioritys. Is it such a bad chioce? Low stand height, minimal effect on natural ski flex, and low weight.

The obvious chioce for my usuage, the duke, has 10mm or so more stand height, and it stiffens the ski.

If you disregard weight the Salomon Guardian, or a MFD plate with alpine binding, offer both natural flex and low stand height.

As I see it, it comes down to the elastic travel of the release guardian/MFD vs the low weight of the FT12s.
    1. I think the issues with skiing dynafits inbounds have been discussed to death. Some people think it's fine, others can't stand it. Pages and pages of debate can be found, but I can't see why anyone would want to ski a dynafit binder if walking efficiency was "way down the list of priorities." Inserts/swap plates exist for a damn good reason.
    2. Keep in mind that the ramp angle of the Dynafit Vertical is 17 mm (as per Jonathan S' measurement). So if you add 10-15 mm to the toe, you're looking at the stand height of the Duke (roughly).
    3. I think by all accounts, the MFD plate effects the ski's flex more than the Duke does.

But agree with your last statement: I'd take the MFD plate over the Duke if I were buying new and had the money.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

The fact that you can get the radical FT 12s with 130mm brakes off the shelf. As opposed to buying almost any other AT binding and needing to buy wide brakes as an extra. Is what makes them a come in at a OK price.

Over thinking I think
    if you don't care about walking efficiency, just get alpine bindings and trekkers.

also, skis are stiff as shit underfoot. if skiing soft-ish snow, wide binding plates and the "free-flex" binding concept are not meaningful, but regardless, the duke is just as "free-flexing", if not more, than a dynafit.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Over thinking I think
    Yes.

For your usage, Dukes sound pretty good. They ski well in-bounds, are reliable and you'll still get decent walking action for shorter trips since your boots have a walk mode.

Sollyfit plates are excellent as well.

I wouldn't want to use Dynafits all the time for resort. They're fine in the soft stuff but I don't like how they feel on harder snow. The metal on metal results in an an overly direct feel on ice, and I can feel the pins sliding in and out of the heel fittings on bumps, which doesn't feel as solid as a step-in binding.

Some great input here. Cheers.

Probably going to go with Dukes, pending more info (price + availiblilty) of the other beef AT bindings.

Then look into focused touring ski plus tech binding set-up later.

Seems the n+1 rule applies as much with skis as it does with bikes. I will be updating my nordic set-up ASAP too.

mmmmm, n+1.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Found some Look Pivot 14s on clearance, as well as some cheap MFDs (189 USD). So the desicion was made for me. Verses the Dukes, it seemed like much of a muchness to me.

At least this way if I fancey a pair of narrower, stiffer, skis in the future. I just need MFD swap plates.

Everything arrives on Friday.

Excited.....

MEC called me last night about the speed radicals I was having mounted to some carbon megawatts. They said that mounting a speed radical to a ski that wide could void the warranty of the ski or the binding.

This seems like crazy talk to me. I went through the speed radical manual and there is no mention of anything regarding ski with in the warranty section. Regardless of what they cautioned against I'm mounting these with inserts, but has anyone else ever heard about warranty issues with dynafits and wide skis??

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Guy View Post
    MEC called me last night about the speed radicals I was having mounted to some carbon megawatts. They said that mounting a speed radical to a ski that wide could void the warranty of the ski or the binding.

This seems like crazy talk to me. I went through the speed radical manual and there is no mention of anything regarding ski with in the warranty section. Regardless of what they cautioned against I'm mounting these with inserts, but has anyone else ever heard about warranty issues with dynafits and wide skis??
    The person who called you is stoopid. It would be sinful to put anything but tech bindings on a pair of carbon megawatts.