Page 67 of 108 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2684
    I believe Rideit just demonstrated how awesome arguing on the Internet is. Awesome.

Great job proving everyone wrong, Spook.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Son-of-Pbville View Post
    I am not sure I see where you are coming from spook. I am trying to empathize, at least for a second, but I just can't get there.

It is wrong of "us" to make light of something that is so ridiculous that when I spoke to him my internal dialogue was "there is no way that is is really happening. I had no idea I would ever see this for myself." ? Not sure, maybe. But the similarity between ridiculous and ridicule might have some importance here. I aints a linguisters person.

Does making fun of this guy make "us" condescending and judgmental? YES

But you have seemed to commit the same "sin" of being holier than thou when it comes to the posters in this thread.

Has this whole thing "taken it too far"? Because "we" are fascinated with this oddity of our ski culture? Because "we" might potentially hurt this guys feelings?

As far as I can recall, no one here has stated that the GSA should not be a skier, not receive his "skier badge" (that we all wear so proudly), or excluded from the community.

On the contrary, "we" claim he is the greatest skier, take his actions as lessons, make special badges (and videos, and stickers, and poems, and religious ravings) in his name, and welcome him with open arms into the community!!!

Sure some of it is tongue in cheek, but I don't think anyone here is being malicious.

Because the reality is he has always been present in our community, and each one of us has gone through a period where we were closer to him that ever, and that never dies. The GSA is A BIG PART of TGR and SKIING, which has been pointed out many times.

"We" like to laugh, at others, at ourselves, at you. I truly like to think that the GSA is the evolution of Saucer Boy (RIP). I don't know any skiers that don't list McConkey as a hero, but he was ridiculed for making fun of "those" skiers as well. Because this NY Stock Broker takes it seriously makes it all the funnier. LIGHTEN UP DUDE!!!!

Also, you point about manufacturers is well taken, but a bit obvious. Except in some rare cases (e.g. charitable companies ala Newmans Own, or in the case of sponsored athletes) the companies only care about the bottom line. If you buy the product, you are cool in their eyes.

I don't know of any conservative companies that refuse to sell their products to liberals, or gays, or immigrants. Its only about money.
    you're working too hard. there's nothing profound about any of this, my comments included. i offered my simple opinion, which is that whatever the motivation, the self-congratulatory nature of much of the "humor" in the thread isn't that funny. i'm not critiquing anybody as humans, i'm just saying it's not redundant 66 pages funny. and again, hypocrisy really isn't relevant. if it were, nobody would be saying anything. but as has been demonstrated in this thread several times in responses to other people, some of you are pretty defensive over a few contrary posts out of 1600 regarding something done all in fun and self-deprecation.

personally, i hope he's trolling.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Nice!
    Grow your hair out, Jarhead!
    right after i finish filling this hole

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    you're working too hard. there's nothing profound about any of this, my comments included.
    not working hard. just a taking time. and No, thats where you are missing it. It is profound. And this gaper is teaching us that.

i offered my simple opinion, which is that whatever the motivation, the self-congratulatory nature of much of the "humor" in the thread isn't that funny.
    which you are entitled to. it may be "self-ass-pats" but if they make other people laugh, i don't see an issue. again that is kind of the point.

but as has been demonstrated in this thread several times in responses to other people, some of you are pretty defensive over a few contrary posts out of 1600 regarding something done all in fun and self-deprecation.
    defensive? i frankly don't care what you think, or hope to prove you wrong. I just like patting my own ass, and that is fun and because i do it here in the public sphere it might be considered self-deprecation. I think the contradictions add to the story line. without the haters, we would have nothing to hate back on. and (non-malicious) hate is fun too

personally, i hope he's trolling.
    ME TOO, because the would be even funnier. And we all would be the victims of the one we have victimized. OH THE IRONY!!!!
    "The top of the mountain is just the start of the journey." - favorite mentor in skiing and life

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Son-of-Pbville View Post
    not working hard. just a taking time. and No, thats where you are missing it. It is profound. And this gaper is teaching us that.

which you are entitled to. it may be "self-ass-pats" but if they make other people laugh, i don't see an issue. again that is kind of the point.

defensive? i frankly don't care what you think, or hope to prove you wrong. I just like patting my own ass, and that is fun and because i do it here in the public sphere it might be considered self-deprecation. I think the contradictions add to the story line. without the haters, we would have nothing to hate back on. and (non-malicious) hate is fun too

ME TOO, because the would be even funnier. And we all would be the victims of the one we have victimized. OH THE IRONY!!!!
    ok. can i still keep my #1 medal?

edit; fuck it. This whole thread tanked it. The post below by the Messenger summed it up better.
    Last edited by jaja111; 04-08-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: religion leads to war. Praise GSA.

I think a passage from the Legend of the Ironic Mullet is a more apt analogy for the rise of the GSA cult.

Quote Originally Posted by The Legend of the Ironic Mullet
    That which is mocked,
    is first worn with irony,
    then becomes hip with sincerity

spook is a terrible skier and he smells really bad

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Spook - we get it. You're better / smarter / funnier than all of us. Okay? Satisfied? Let it go already. If you think this thread is dumb or pathetic or immature or not funny or all of those things, then maybe you should stop posting in it so much. Just a thought.
    if that's what you got, you got it wrong. i'd posted maybe twice out of 1700 posts until last night. it's okay to chime in on occasion. don't let it ruin your fun.

ok. can i still keep my #1 medal?
    hmmm.......will the medal keep you?
    "The top of the mountain is just the start of the journey." - favorite mentor in skiing and life

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Hey, whatever, I don't really care. It's an internet forum. It just seems to me that you're doing the equivalent of going to some city, declaring it the shittiest place you've ever been, and then immediately looking for a place to rent on craigslist.
    all that from a dozen posts in one thread. it's not the whole city and i'm just squatting.

Spook, with your charitable and mature approach to this issue, have you considered taking Greg up on his offer and joining AlpineZone forums?
    Sent from my Timex Sinclair using TGR Forums

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by drdevon View Post
    Spook, with your charitable and mature approach to this issue, have you considered taking Greg up on his offer and joining AlpineZone forums?
    no, but i have giggled at his appearances on more than one occasion. i thought he was going to start doing it too much and make it "iceman does X in jeans" ubiquitously unfunny, but if he lays off for a bit, it should be cool.

"He grew up as a little shit-spark from the old shit-flint. And then he turned into a shit-bonfire and then driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance, he turned into a raging shit-firestorm."
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Is it possible to not only put Spook on the ignore list but also anyone who responds to him?

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skibiker View Post
    Is it possible to not only put Spook on the ignore list but also anyone who responds to him?
    search function, JONG

go find your own thread to cunt up, douche.

this one is far too holy to be interfered by a non-believer like you. we all know what happens to non-believers....

see guys -- this is why we can't have nice things!

spook Guest
    somebody needs to start the inquisition thread

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Our cheif weapon is fear. That's it, just fear... and surprise.

Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as...

Fetch the soft cushions!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

And here's a picture of Frank coming round the front of the house, and you can just see the side...
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

ON THESE NORTH SIDE STREETS TRY AVOIDING THE LIGHTS ... WHERE ONCE THERE WAS A CELEBRATED COMING OF AGE ... (WILL YOU BURN OUT?) SHALL WE JUST WAIT AND SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES ALL OF US TO TURN ... COULD THIS BE THE FREEDOM THAT MY MOTHER SPOKE OF AT HOME?

I propose a meeting of the high councile to address deleting pages 67 and 68 of the book of GSA, Splat's testimony excepted.

this is one of the dumbest threads ever on tgr. honeyblond dd was way better.

also, i'm pretty sure there was just a "serious" TR posted that included someone with multiple go pros. just throwing it out there...
    Live To Ski!