Page 66 of 108 FirstFirst ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2685
    spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post
    Spook
    How can you diss this?
    i actually preferred this monolith to the other one with all the gear, but it needs the boarder on his knees. maybe 3D with some monkeys photoshopped as well.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    it's not either/or.

why would you care about being a certain level of proficiency before putting yourself on film? is somebody going to take you more seriously? it's still a homemade vid of you doing something you love, regardless of what it looks like to "experts." most people are gapers to somebody else in one form or another. i certainly won't defend some wall street whore for his own sake, but i doubt there is a ridicule prerequisite to being a social creature. i have been the butt of more jokes than i can remember. you're right. it's not a big deal. but this is a little beyond making someone the butt of a joke and honestly the thread is as much the butt of a joke as he is.

he may look like a dumbshit, but the fact of the matter is he apparently said he was going to do something and he went and did it.
    It is either/or. Humor and a light touch is a boolean issue. And you seem to be all out, today. Too bad.

And, as for whether I would film myself, I know what I would see. When I have wonder as to what I will see, I will film it. It has nothing to do with the experts here, or your impression of my statement.

I am as much a whore to money as the GSA, and surely many others are here, too. That said, all pursuits present their pursuers with decisions/allocations of time and resources, and the choices we make say something about us. Sometimes, it says something practical, sometimes stylish, sometimes something inspirational. In this case, our GSA has brought us something else entirely. I can remember the first piece of equipment I bought that I didn't need. It wasn't a pair of GoPros. I find his harness and camera getup hilarious. You don't ... no prob, but you aren't getting anywhere telling me about my sense of humor.
    Sent from my Timex Sinclair using TGR Forums

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by drdevon View Post
    It is either/or. Humor and a light touch is a boolean issue. And you seem to be all out, today. Too bad.

And, as for whether I would film myself, I know what I would see. When I have wonder as to what I will see, I will film it. It has nothing to do with the experts here, or your impression of my statement.

I am as much a whore to money as the GSA, and surely many others are here, too. That said, all pursuits present their pursuers with decisions/allocations of time and resources, and the choices we make say something about us. Sometimes, it says something practical, sometimes stylish, sometimes something inspirational. In this case, our GSA has brought us something else entirely. I can remember the first piece of equipment I bought that I didn't need. It wasn't a pair of GoPros. I find his harness and camera getup hilarious. You don't ... no prob, but you aren't getting anywhere telling me about my sense of humor.

it definitely is not either/or and calling any of this actual humor or -- seriously?-- a light touch? -- is quite generous. not 66 pages worth unless you live in the land of will ferrell and adam sandler. but nobody's stopping anybody. have at it. apparently the irreverent and rebellious spirit of tgr individuality comes in bulk conformity.

edit: i'm also curious how many of tgr's business partners/sponsorship relationships this guy is wearing. i bet they don't give a shit if you look like a gaper as long as you buy their shit.

Hugh Conway Guest

A+ troll.

Seriously - read techtalk or half of the TRs sometimes. TGR = GSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    A+ troll.

Self awareness eludes many ... until ... and sometimes forever.

The GSA is blissfully unaware, and thus, a treat to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    A+ troll.

TGR== weekend warrior who would kill to be half as cool as the GSA

... apparently the irreverent and rebellious spirit of tgr individuality comes in bulk conformity.
    You would be right if there weren't so many tangents on this very thread.

edit: i'm also curious how many of tgr's business partners/sponsorship relationships this guy is wearing. i bet they don't give a shit if you look like a gaper as long as you buy their shit.
    Who? Me? none. You? I have no idea. The GSA? I have seen none in His Teachings to date.

And yet, here you are, posting on their forum. Who really casts stones?

spook Guest
    You would be right if there weren't so many tangents on this very thread.

Who? Me? none. You? I have no idea. The GSA? I have seen none in His Teachings to date.

And yet, here you are, posting on their forum. Who really casts stones?
    tangents? the tangents are him showing up. the predictable is the response. ridicule is pretty common. god references and imagery, biblical verse, blasphemers, sitings, believers, etc., etc., etc. i'm not casting stones, merely casting my opinion that it's not funny unless you're the only one laughing at your jokes. i wouldn't go so far as to call everyone here a comedy gaper and build obelisks in their names. but seriously, who came up with "gaper spirit animal"? spirit animal? it's cletus ridiculing the city folk.

the fact that i post here has nothing to do with the validity of my opinion.

No. It has to do with you questioning others participating or buying things here, which you have done on this thread.

We are all well aware of the other enjoyable contradictions represented on this thread. We just aren't showing up calling everyone else out about it - that honor is something you have claimed for yourself. Pretty funny.

spook Guest
    No. It has to do with you questioning others participating or buying things here, which you have done on this thread.
    i said i doubt anybody who markets the shit he wears gives a shit that he or anybody else looks like a gaper as long as they buy the product. you seem to be looking for some perceived hypocrisy to be relevant but it's not.

We are all well aware of the other enjoyable contradictions represented on this thread. We just aren't showing up calling everyone else out about it - that honor is something you have claimed for yourself. Pretty funny.
    even funnier is you claiming to speak for everybody who posts here. i think you give yourself and many others too much credit.
    Last edited by spook; 04-07-2012 at 12:45 AM.

i said i doubt anybody who markets the shit he wears gives a shit that he or anybody else looks like a gaper as long as they buy the product. you seem to be looking for some perceived hypocrisy to be relevant but it's not.
    That has nothing to do with this thread. Is the manufacturer or marketer of the might GSAs harness here laughing at him? If so, you would have a point.

even funnier is you claiming to speak for everybody who posts here. i think you give yourself and many others too much credit.
    I am not "speaking for everybody" ... I am assuming others here are at least as bright as I am; a courtesy which seems to elude you.

spook Guest
    That has nothing to do with this thread. Is the manufacturer or marketer of the might GSAs harness here laughing at him? If so, you would have a point.

I am not "speaking for everybody" ... I am assuming others here are at least as bright as I am; a courtesy which seems to elude you.
    my point has nothing to do with manufacturers ridiculing him. their sole aim is to sell. so they don't give a shit if gsa looks stupid wearing a harness -- which apparently you and your sense of humor do -- they're just happy he bought it as long as he doesn't hurt their brand. gopro would love it if he had 8 strapped on. so yeah, it does have something to do with the thread.

you should quit equating your sense of humor with how smart you think you are. then you wouldn't take this so personally.

300cms of snow in two days, and a worshipper showing the power of dos gopros. The GSA is a saviour for all the world.

simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

tangents? the tangents are him showing up. the predictable is the response. ridicule is pretty common. god references and imagery, biblical verse, blasphemers, sitings, believers, etc., etc., etc. i'm not casting stones, merely casting my opinion that it's not funny unless you're the only one laughing at your jokes. i wouldn't go so far as to call everyone here a comedy gaper and build obelisks in their names. but seriously, who came up with "gaper spirit animal"? spirit animal? it's cletus ridiculing the city folk.

The GSA is TGR only more so. We get that. That's why it's funny. Worship, blasphemers, believers, motes in other people's eyes. Skiing is a recreational hobby. Taking it seriously is cause for laughing at ourselves. Your opinion is valid too. So is your butthurt.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    300cms of snow in two days, and a worshipper showing the power of dos gopros. The GSA is a saviour for all the world.

Herrefred.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    The GSA is TGR only more so. We get that. That's why it's funny. Worship, blasphemers, believers, motes in other people's eyes. Skiing is a recreational hobby. Taking it seriously is cause for laughing at ourselves. Your opinion is valid too. So is your butthurt.
    oh no! i've been accused of being butthurt! i am devastated and put in my proper place of shame by a 14 year old!

please don't tell me to eat a bag of dicks next or i'll be irreparably humiliated and strangely curious.

Spook, you're so pleasant and stoked in the Mt. Hood thread...and only in the Mt. Hood thread. What gives?

Wellbutrin shortages?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSkidmark View Post
    only in the Mt. Hood thread. ?
    that's not true at all.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Wellbutrin shortages?
    hee hee! see? unfunny and unoriginal is infectious!

Get a haircut, hippie!

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Get a haircut, hippie!
    3/8" as of last week, SIR!

Nice!
    Grow your hair out, Jarhead!

I am not sure I see where you are coming from spook. I am trying to empathize, at least for a second, but I just can't get there.

It is wrong of "us" to make light of something that is so ridiculous that when I spoke to him my internal dialogue was "there is no way that is is really happening. I had no idea I would ever see this for myself." ? Not sure, maybe. But the similarity between ridiculous and ridicule might have some importance here. I aints a linguisters person.

Does making fun of this guy make "us" condescending and judgmental? YES

But you have seemed to commit the same "sin" of being holier than thou when it comes to the posters in this thread.

Has this whole thing "taken it too far"? Because "we" are fascinated with this oddity of our ski culture? Because "we" might potentially hurt this guys feelings?

As far as I can recall, no one here has stated that the GSA should not be a skier, not receive his "skier badge" (that we all wear so proudly), or excluded from the community.

On the contrary, "we" claim he is the greatest skier, take his actions as lessons, make special badges (and videos, and stickers, and poems, and religious ravings) in his name, and welcome him with open arms into the community!!!

Sure some of it is tongue in cheek, but I don't think anyone here is being malicious.

Because the reality is he has always been present in our community, and each one of us has gone through a period where we were closer to him that ever, and that never dies. The GSA is A BIG PART of TGR and SKIING, which has been pointed out many times.

"We" like to laugh, at others, at ourselves, at you. I truly like to think that the GSA is the evolution of Saucer Boy (RIP). I don't know any skiers that don't list McConkey as a hero, but he was ridiculed for making fun of "those" skiers as well. Because this NY Stock Broker takes it seriously makes it all the funnier. LIGHTEN UP DUDE!!!!

Also, you point about manufacturers is well taken, but a bit obvious. Except in some rare cases (e.g. charitable companies ala Newmans Own, or in the case of sponsored athletes) the companies only care about the bottom line. If you buy the product, you are cool in their eyes.

I don't know of any conservative companies that refuse to sell their products to liberals, or gays, or immigrants. Its only about money.
    "The top of the mountain is just the start of the journey." - favorite mentor in skiing and life

Let not the blaspemers deter the seeking of enlightenment, retire therefore to thy favorite pow stash and contemplate the gaper spirit within before you drop,
    and don't forget to post the fore & aft edit so that all of maggotdom will be inspired to buy more cameras.
    embrace the gape
    and believe