Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New 5D!

New 5D!

So it got the CR3 rating so it is pretty much confirmed this is it!

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/02/t...2728-2012-cr3/

5D Mark III/X
    Below are the specs for the coming 5D replacement, the full name of the camera is currently unknown.

Specs

22mp
    61pt AF
    100% VF
    3.2″ LCD
    Dual CF/SD Card Slots
    Price: Around $3500 USD
    Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)

So this pretty much confirms what we’ve been saying for a while now.

Anyone want to buy a 7D, 17-55 f/2.8 and a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8? Just kidding, not sold if I will be buying this right from the getgo but probably sometime once it gets in peoples hands and I hear some reviews.

looks like that link is currently /.'ed. I'm hoping this brings the prices down on the 5dmk2 quickly, I'm planning on picking one up soon.

The link isn't working?

Nope, most likely their servers can't keep up with all the traffic they are receiving.

Interesting, but not revolutionary, that's for sure. I feel like I'm still ahead of game with my 5Dmk2 and 7D combo.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

I think we still have more to learn next week.

fps increase will be nice.
    Higher ISO capability.
    probably not going to see 1080p60.
    What procs?

Not mention since they aren't sure of the names there have been rumors of a line split and we could potentially see 2 newer cameras in the coming months.

That's why I was saying I'm not just going to jump in when they announce. Wait to see how it performs, let the price settle down and see what's what. All I know is if I DO keep my 7D, the 5DII may become even more affordable

Here's hoping for mini-XLR inputs.

Yup, and of course they HAD to keep us hanging until Friday. Bastids!

Wonder if it will do video over hdmi as the new nikon does..4:2:2 and all...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor
    DiG!C 5+ Image Processor
    ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400
    Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)
    High Performance Operation

61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)
    6.0 fps for high continuous shooting
    Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage
    3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II
    iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor
    Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles

High end features
    Silent & low vibration modes
    Dual card slots (CF & SD)
    High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode
    Multiple Exposures
    Comparative Playback function
    Improved durability & water and dust resistance

SPECIFICATIONS
    Available Colours – Black
    Megapixels – 22MP
    Sensor Size – 36 x 24mm
    ISO/Sensitivity – 100 – 25600
    Autofocus Points – 61 points
    Lens Mount – Canon
    LCD Size – 3.2″
    Liveview – Yes
    Viewfinder – Optical TTL
    Min Shutter Speed – 30 sec
    Max Shutter Speed – 1/8000 sec
    Continuous Shooting Speed – 6 fps
    Self Timer – 10 sec, 2 sec
    Metering – Centre-weighted, Spot, Evaluative, Partial
    Video Resolution – Full HD 1080
    Memory Type – Compact Flash
    Connectivity – USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)
    Battery – LP-E6
    Battery Type – Lithium-ion
    Charger – Includes Li-Ion Charger
    File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4
    Dimensions – 152 x 116 x 76mm
    Box Contents – Battery Pack LP-E6 .. Battery Charger LC-E6 .. AV Cable AVC-DC400ST .. Interface Cable IFC-200U .. Eyecup Eg .. Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII .. CR1616 Lithium Battery

Looks like Canon fixed every small issue I ever had with my 5D2. Count me on the pre-order list. If anyone is looking for a month old 5D2 with under 1k shutter count, receipt and all original packaging, hit me up.

I'm interested. I figure it's probably going to be worth about $1500 once they lower the price on the current 5d2 to $2000 new. I have paypal ready.

I'd work you a deal for $1600 shipped. Let me see what the projected ship date is and we'll talk.

Out of curiosity, what were your complaints with the mk2? Other than AF. And maybe slow fps.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Out of curiosity, what were your complaints with the mk2? Other than AF. And maybe slow fps.
    Those were actually the only two. I found my self primarily using the center AF point and recomposing. I also shoot sports so the extra FPS are welcomed.

Perceived obsolescence is the name of the game any more.

After reading about the new D800 and the 5Dmk3 I've come to the conclusion that I might not upgrade my cameras for a really long time. Like until they break.

www.tonystreks.com

Popped up on Facebook this morning. Best camera ever?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/03/r...-jeff-ascough/

www.tonystreks.com

Just so you all know, the 5DmkII isn't coming off the market.

EDIT - or so I read.
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 03-02-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    Popped up on Facebook this morning. Best camera ever?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/03/r...-jeff-ascough/
    Well crap. That sounds awesome. The second they show up on Canons site refurbed I am all over it. Maybe a year? Who knows, but awesome looking camera there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Just so you all know, the 5DmkII isn't coming off the market.
    What do you suppose the reason for carrying both would be? I don't see that making a whole lot of sense. Either way, prices seem to be coming down already on the mk2. There's new ones on ebay for 2k and I found a couple of used ones for $1500 BIN.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    What do you suppose the reason for carrying both would be? I don't see that making a whole lot of sense. Either way, prices seem to be coming down already on the mk2. There's new ones on ebay for 2k and I found a couple of used ones for $1500 BIN.
    I have no idea actually. It didn't make much sense to me either but thinking about it. With the price difference we are seeing now it could be just kept as a first step for someone wanting a FF camera. I mean no one serious would buy the MKII over the MKIII, but by keeping it out there at $2K it could entice those wanting a full frame that are in the 7D budget area to dig a little deeper in their pockets?

And I just looked on eBay and I think the smallest BIN I saw was low 1800's and at that point I would get a new one for $2K. Shit, someone could get a 5D MKII AND a 7D for the price of a MKIII. That right there is a major reason to keep the 5D MKII as an "entry level" full frame

http://gizmodo.com/5889763/why-you-s...ark-ii-instead

Why You Should Buy a Canon 5D Mark II Instead

Yup, the Canon 5D Mark III is serious business. That sweet bit of kit is a pro-grade camera and a total lust item. But there's another reason to love it: It just made its elder sibling, the 5D Mark II, the best deal in cameras.

Thing is, though the 5D Mark III is an evolution of the Mark II, it's not replacing it. Canon will continue to make the Mark II. With a sticker price that's already a grand less than the Mark III and declining steadily, the Mark II is probably the perfect camera for some folks. So if you've been eyeing one for a while now, but have been holding off to make sure it wasn't replaced with a better model, you might want to still seriously consider picking one up. Here's why.

For $2,500 you're still getting one hell of a DSLR with full HD video recording capabilities and brilliant low-light performance. Yes, it was released way back in 2008 and the 5D Mark III one-ups it in many areas. But DSLRs tend to age very gracefully, and Canon obviously feels the 5D Mark II still has plenty of life left to keep it in the lineup.

One of the most sought after features in swappable lens cameras these days are its video capabilities. And the 5D Mark II wowed the videography world by being one of the first DLSRs to include full 1080P recording capabilities. In fact, the Mark II has become widely used in Hollywood over the past few years in films like Iron Man 2 and Captain America. It was even used to film the entire season finale of House last year, and when coupled with the right lenses and post-processing, the camera is still a video powerhouse.

Recently, Nikon's upcoming D800 made splashes with its massive 36 megapixel sensor. But as we've pointed out before, more megapixels don't automatically equate to a better camera. And Canon certainly agrees here. The 5D Mark III has just a 1MP advantage over the 5D Mark II, and even its soon-to-be-released 1DX only weighs in at 18.1 megapixels.

And like the 5D Mark III and the 1DX, the Mark II still has a full frame sensor ready to grab as much light as it can for crisp images even in low-light conditions. Unless you're willing to fork out the cash for a large-format camera, this is as big as DSLR sensors get, and during our hands-on review of the Mark II we found we could push its ISO all the way to 6400 with negligible noise in dark conditions. Being able to actually push a camera's ISO limits with usable results was mind-blowing, and as DSLRs go, the 5D Mark II's low-light performance is still remarkable.

So while the 5D Mark III certainly has everyone oohing and awing at the moment over its improvements to the Mark II, you're still going to have to fork out an extra $1,000 for what are, in many cases, only slight advantages. For $2,500 the 5D Mark II is still one of the best bargains in photography, and certainly still worth your cash. As long as you're not interested in buying the latest model for bleeding-edge bragging rights, the proven 5D Mark II is still a brilliant choice. Particularly if you invest that extra $1,000 you saved in your photography kit, with a wicked-fast prime lens, a capable zoom, and a host of other lenses which will improve the camera's capabilities where it really counts.

I pre-ordered this morning. Can't wait. The improvements make it the perfect camera for the type of shooting I do.

For whatever reason, the III doesn't seem like that big of an upgrade from the II. It almost reminds me of the 40 to 50D.

I'll stick with the II.