DynaLook Swap Plates BSL Set up Question

Looking for a little guidance.

I have got a pair of Wootest 196s that I am planning to mount up with DynaLook swap plates. So the plan is;

Resort: Pivot 18s with Lange 130rx 29.5 (BSL 336mm)
    Touring: Plum Guides with Dynafit Vulcan 29.5 (BSL: TBC? the BSL for the 27.5 was 304mm according to wildsnow so going on previous boots that would put the 29.5 at around 324 or 325 at my count)

Obviously I want to mount up alpine this year and be able to switch in and out for the plums next year once I have the Vulcans.

This is my first time mounting plates and without both boots available to me I am not exactly sure at what BSL I should mount.

Couldn't find much in the other threads about this especially since the DynaLook plate is new and of course the Looks have limited adjustment in the heel. Any help would be much appreciated

you'll be awfully damned close if those exact measurements hold, because from what i know, you have 10MM of adjustment on pivots/fks either way on the swing arms. so 336 <--> 324 is going to be C L O S E ! not definitive and i think there is actually more adjustment in those arms (maybe 20MM total) but suggested is 10MM forward or back.

Are you planning to run the Vulcans in fks? If so, then you'd better get the exact bsl and mount for halfway between the two. I'd the difference is 10mm, you should be ok. Plum guides have enough adjustment to handle the discrepancy.

Another idea, pick up a pair of px18 and mount for next year's bsl. The px bindings have plenty of adjustment, but you'll be behind the line 5mm this year.

^^FKS/Pivot is technically supposed to be +/- 7 mm. I'd hesitate to go outside of that, but that's me.

But I don't see why he has to do that. He's not trying to make the Vulcan work with the Pivots. Mount the plates for the Lange bsl, and your Plum's might be further back in the heel track (further forward on the ski). From looking at jon's plate, he simply split the difference between the toe pattern for the FKS/plum. If you really want see how it will work out before hand, line up the individual binding templates for each bsl. Then see how much further back the heel holes on the plate are. Hope that makes sense, haven't had my coffee yet.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quick question:

I am mounting up my skis with the dynalook plates, and will be using p18s and dynafits, no PX bindings. Would it be stupid to just drill the front four holes for the heel plate, rather than all 6 and leave the back two holes unattached?

i'm thinking that's a potentially bad idea because the plums / dynafits are going to be back closer to the back 4 of the 6 screws. that was my quick and dirty interpretation when i looked (was curious as well).

and, yeah, i've read (here on TGR thread) that it's really 8MM either way. that would not matter if you don't run the vulcans in the DH bindings. then you'll just have one of them forward of the line or you can split as jon suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Quick question:

I am mounting up my skis with the dynalook plates, and will be using p18s and dynafits, no PX bindings. Would it be stupid to just drill the front four holes for the heel plate, rather than all 6 and leave the back two holes unattached?
    I'm kinda wondering the same thing. I'm also considering cutting the plate after the second pair of holes. But it's so pretty and nicely machined I can't bring myself to do it...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

If you have two pairs of boots you want to fit in an FKS binding: 336BSL and 324BSL. You should mount for 330, and each boot will fit because they are within +/-7mm.

jon, is the Dynalook template dialed? Read in the Gear Swap thread it was slightly off. Has it been updated, or maybe the poster was wrong? Thoughts?

photos

Thanks for all of the replies and advice.

I have no plans to use the Vulcans for alpine so that negates the biggest issue but I do want to remain as much over the dimple as possible on the Wootests so will probably end up going at 330-332 range.

Now just not to mess up the mount.

^^ That sounds best. Also, check the WooTest thread for mounting-point discussion if you haven't already. Kidwoo's suggestion is 101.5 from the tip, which is -1.5ish from Keith's dimple. (Numbers off the top of my head, definitely check the thread to confirm and get other's input on the mount point).

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    jon, is the Dynalook template dialed? Read in the Gear Swap thread it was slightly off. Has it been updated, or maybe the poster was wrong? Thoughts?
    first I'd heard about it, but I just sent a PM to see if I can get to the bottom of it. I tested the template pretty carefully before release.