What do I need to do to start a new thread?

Okay, so I'm starting one here, but that's not the point . . .

I joined and tried posting something in the Slide Zone. Got a message saying it had to wait for moderation, which makes sense for spam prevention. That was a day ago and it's still not live. I'd PM someone but I looked all over and there doesn't seem to be a "PM a mod" feature.

Maybe I need 10 posts or something, and I can go make them and then repost my original message, but I don't want to double post. I'm also happy to wait, but I'm starting to think my post is stuck in limbo. I could even see how someone might think it was spam, but then a PM would be nice.

I also looked at the FAQ and some of the Ask TGR posts and I can't find an answer . . . sorry if this is already covered somewhere.

If it's this thread, it should be working. The 'pm a mod' idea might be a good idea.
    On the Trucker's new album in 2008 or so...
    We built her to last, skipping the undercoating and some of the shininess but focusing on really stout suspension and a hefty engine. Afraid she ain’t too fuel efficient, she’s a lumbering V-8, 4 barrel, but she’s built to last

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thanks (plus some gibberish to make it > 8 characters)