Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude

Recommend a Dog/Puppy training book

So the woman and I are leaning heavily towards getting an Entlebucher Mountain Dog http://www.entlebucher.org/ we've both had dogs before but my dogs were actually my parents dogs and they like small dogs (carin terrier, scottish terrier, belgian schipperke and currently a shiba ennu) We are looking for a medium sized female dog and have found a breeder in Maine so we're going to do a daytrip up there to Sanford to hang out with the dogs and the breeder and see what we think. We probably won't be getting the dog until July or August.

I've poured through amazon.com and read reviews on a few different books for training but I'm wondering if any of you have any books you'd recommend over some other book.

I ordered "The Art of Raising a Puppy" but I think I need to keep looking so we are able to raise a happy, obedient, well-behaved doggy.

thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by vinzclortho View Post
    I ordered "The Art of Raising a Puppy" but I think I need to keep looking so we are able to raise a happy, obedient, well-behaved doggy.
    I'd continue with the Monks of New Skete and their non-puppy-specific book "How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend." Everything I've heard - and seen practiced by friends - that has come out of that book seems great and I definitely think you could raise and continue to train a dog with those two books. Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/How-Your-Dogs-...9868541&sr=8-4 Sounds cheesy - and I haven't read any of his books - but I think I'd also checkout Cesar Milan's books as well. And then the last one I think I heard about on TGR, pretty much human behavior when around dog's sounds quite interesting: http://www.amazon.com/Other-End-Leas...=3MGWE60PBULLZ

Whenever I do get a dog, my plan seems to be the same as yours: read/study up a bunch BEFORE I/you get the dog. Good lucking pups, by the way. I'm excited to see what the TGR dog wisdom brings to this thread.

"The Art of Raising a Puppy" and "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend" are the two books I read and would recommend. Haven't read any other books but I would definitely recommend an obedience class or two. Really helped me with Jack's training.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.