Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    cookie, do you ski tour?

rog

Sunlight shading and snotel layers are now live.

Snotel layer shows all sites that have at least daily snow depth updates; blue sites have wind data and red sites don't. Zoom in a couple levels and it will load current data for all stations on the page; click on a station for a 7-day graph and link to the official snotel webpage. http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=42.5,...5&b=ter&a=sntl.

Sunlight layer allows you to pick a date+time or show all exposure over the course of a day. Full-day mode is currently dog slow, I will likely need a server upgrade to make it faster. Click "+ Add New Layer" in the left bar and then "Add Sunlight Analysis". One note is that all times are based off your browser's current timezone, not the map location or some future calculation involving daylight savings. Examples for 2/15: All Day and 8AM.

If you find either of these useful, great. They're both new, so if something looks inaccurate, please let me know - bugs are definitely possible. Welcome any and all feedback but I'm not getting drawn into another long argument.

Ooh I am going to have to take a look at this-thanks for the heads up on how time is calculated.

Going on a trip to Katahdin at the end of March and think this could really help with predicting corn cycles and when slopes go back into freeze.

Thanks for your ongoing work.

this is super helpful. thanks and keep up the good work.

Love the new features. Thanks.

this is great, super useful software mattyj, you should add a "if you like this donate now" button to help raise some funds for that server upgrade.

^^^ The bigger issue is that I'd be paying at least an extra $50/mo for extra capacity that would only get used for viewsheds and the sunlight layer, neither of which see very consistent use.

This has been in the works for longer than I'd like to admit, but as far as supporting the site I'm planning on selling custom large-format topo maps and peak identification posters based on the "view from here" feature. Biggest holdup has been finding a cheap enough source of waterproof paper for the maps. But I'm close to pulling the trigger on selling the peak posters regardless, since I really want some around the house and those don't need special paper.

It's getting off topic, but Here's an early prototype of the Yosemite area in case anyone's interested.