MRI technical talk confusing.... anyone help?

I hit a tree while boarding and had an MRI but not sure if this means I now need to head back to the UK from Canada and have an operation. Could anyone give an opinion please?

Opinion: A Large complex joint effusion is seen.
    there is a complex tear of the lateral meniscus. A full thickness tear of the ACL is also Identified along with an intrasubstance tear of the PCL.

An osteochondral frature of the posterior margin of the lateral tibial plateau is seen associated with marrow contusion. Contusions of the medial tibial plateau and fibular head are also identified.

Thanks

Sounds like you'll be fine. A little Ibuprofen and an ice pack and you should be good to go.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

You have a broken leg and two torn ligaments. Surprising you were able to get an MRI without seeing an orthopedic surgeon. You will need to see one to get a clear to fly letter for the airline and for your travel insurance company. With the letter, the airline will waive change fees and provide wheel chair access on and off the plane and through the airports. I just went though this drill last month.

Oh, and next time - Tech Talk...JONG.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I stayed at a holiday inn once so I can translate that. You're fucked..... say hi to Queen Lizzie and the gang for me.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post

Actually next time Gimp Central or whatever it's called. Don't make me say it to either of you.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Shit You can walk that off.

I have had 3 of the things you listed but never more than 2 at the same time., Dam dude you really fucked up your knee.

(Not a Doc)
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

That's tech talk for you fucked up you leg. Welcome to the club of torn ACLs. Gimp central would be happy to take you under their wing. Ice 20 mins on 20 mins off. Your in Canada so you can get pain killers OTC. Eat them like smarties and you'll be fine.

Granted I'm no expert but this is what it sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnight View Post
    there is a complex tear of the lateral meniscus. A full thickness tear of the ACL is also Identified along with an intrasubstance tear of the PCL.
    First sentance basically sums up that your knee is pretty screwed up. The meniscus tear is referring to the cartilage in your knee between your tibia and femur. The cartilage sounds to be torn pretty badly. Then it says you completely tore you ACL (an important ligament) all the way through. Looks likee there is also a tear in your PCL (another ligament) although that tear doesn't sound as bad.

An osteochondral frature of the posterior margin of the lateral tibial plateau is seen associated with marrow contusion. Contusions of the medial tibial plateau and fibular head are also identified.
    This seems to say that you fractured part of your tibial platue. The tibial platue is the top surface of the large bone in your leg below your knee. Looks like another surface of the tibial platue is bruised. Also looks like you bruised the fibular head which is the top of the smaller bone beelow your knee where it joins with your knee.

In all it sounds like an injury thats gonna take quite some time to heal. Torn meniscus usually = no good. Can't regrow cartilage and they will likely take out o portion of it. The torn ACL and PCL aren't too good = long time to heal. Fractured tibial platue = usually not good at all. Hard to say how it will heal and what they will have to do to repair it without more info. While painful, the bruised tibial platue and fibular head would likely be fine on their own after a month+ of pain. So to sum it up you did quite a number on you're knee.

As mentioned before, I'm just somebody who has had a few injuries of my own and read about others who had them on the site. Did my best to translate but by no means do I have ANY medical training. Hope it helps somewhat.

you can just save time with a quickie amputation. At the neck.

Check with JimS over in the tahoe thread. If I am not mistaken, he is some sort of ubergeek when it comes to reading these things.....oh and gimp central jong!
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Taking the 5th.

And I am an expert at this.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post

This is great...

Nothing to worry about, just stay off the snow for a day or 2.

= surgery

I hit a tree while boarding and had an MRI but not sure if this means I now need to head back to the UK from Canada and have an operation. Could anyone give an opinion please?

Thanks
    Your knee is swollen a filled with fluid/blood.
    Your lateral meniscus is fucked.
    ACL gone.
    Small tear in PCL.
    You've lost some chondral cartilage under where your meniscus was torn and bruised the bone.
    You have associated damage to the chondral cartilage and bone bruising on the medial(inside) side of you knee joint.

What this means it that you will need an ACL reconstruction with lateral meniscus repair or removal. You will also likely get microfracture chondroplasty for the lateral bone/cartilage injury. The PCL and medial compartment injuries will likely not be treated. I wouldn't be surprised if you've also torn you MCL and medial meniscus.

You're knee is fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Your knee is swollen a filled with fluid/blood.
    Your lateral meniscus is fucked.
    ACL gone.
    Small tear in PCL.
    You've lost some chondral cartilage under where your meniscus was torn and bruised the bone.
    You have associated damage to the chondral cartilage and bone bruising on the medial(inside) side of you knee joint.

What this means it that you will need an ACL reconstruction with lateral meniscus repair or removal. You will also likely get microfracture chondroplasty for the lateral bone/cartilage injury. The PCL and medial compartment injuries will likely not be treated. I wouldn't be surprised if you've also torn you MCL and medial meniscus.

You're knee is fucked up.
    This is not entirely accurate. There's no description of articular cartilage damage. The osteochondral fracture is basically a bad bone bruise. There should be no need for micro fracture based on that report. The lateral meniscus tear is most likely not repairable and would most likely be debrided. If he had an MCL tear or Medial Meniscus tear, those would be in the report.

Still a bad injury and there should be concern for a postero-lateral corner injury. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    This is not entirely accurate. There's no description of articular cartilage damage. The osteochondral fracture is basically a bad bone bruise.
    Not really. An OCF is a fracture that violates the cartilage and adjacent cortical bone. However, it's is not the same a frank cartilage tear or cartilage defect.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.