Short Surf Trip in Asia/S. Pacific/Oz etc.?

heading to melbourne for a buddy's wedding in may, will have about 2 weeks after that to head somewhere for a mini surf vacation. been to east coast oz, north island nz, and fiji, so thinking of something different.

am a solid surfer, not looking for super gnar, just good fun reefs.

i consider a single takeoff point to be crowded at 10-15, loky depending.

not looking to explore/chart new ground here, just a fairly easy trip to get some waves before heading home to 6mm of neoprene.

not interested in partying/nightlife, just want to surf as much as possible.

budget traveller, approx. $20-$50/day, camping fine.

any reccomendations appreciated.

Hugh Conway Guest
    west oz or my standard vomitted destination of the big archipelago to the NW of Oz - which in May may have more people than you'd like at destinations of moderate comfort (but can have few, all depending)

west oz is an option, but have spent a lot of time in oz, and kinda looking for something new.

said vomit archipelago, i'm thinking the two week time period is going to limit access to further west islands and therefore less crowded destinations, correct?

Hugh Conway Guest
    with your budget constraints and time constraints, likely yes. That'd apply going east as well - which can have some great surf as well, likely relatively uncrowded. It's been a couple years (~3) but I had good, fairly uncrowded (<10) surfing on Islands not Bali in May outside of forecast "epic swells" which can fuck up things. Even at G-land - which is a decent spot if you are only interested in surfing. Number of takeoffs, nothing to do, pretty much the only people there are staying there, and it's not that expensive - ~$50-60 a day all in (beer wasn't badly priced either, maybe $1-2/binnie and they count badly in your favor if you are nice to the staff and buy 'em beer.

Sri Lanka? Haven't surfed there and it doesn't have the density or quality as other places, but it's not that far and a very cool island.

thanks. east looks interesting, easier to get to than west. mostly boat access spots i think? (not neccessarily a bad thing)

funny, sri lanka has been calling to me for some time. although i think it's a little out of the way for this trip, and will save it for when i have more time.

anyone with experience in samoa/tonga? looks great IF you get the swell, from what i've heard.

cheers

Hugh Conway Guest
    again it's been a couple years, and not sure about flight $, but Sri Lanka was pretty durn cheap - roughly the same as my time in Indonesia - but with better quality food and more "culture" (excepting bad bars, hookers, and smoking pot in a bar on the main drag with 6' pink haired big titted Catalans where advantage does to bali)

actually, flights out of melbourne are about equal.

that said, i appreciate all the pro's you list of sri lanka, and for those same reasons want to have more freedom (time) to soak it up. my lady is dead set on sri lanka, and is not attending this wedding, so another reason to hold off.

Get a 4th Gear surf mat, and you'll find waves everywhere you go.

you got it champ, that's me!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Odd coincidence - I'm the one in the foreground with the swallowtail.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Oh, you were referring to the surfboard?
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    you got it champ, that's me!

Please tell me that is on an international surf day...

nah, just gets busy when it starts pumping.

^^ Well let me know where that is, so I can put it on my list of places to never visit.

secret spot, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Then post pics in the other thread, ASAP.

My buddy spent new years in Sri Lanka and had a blast, not sure how the went for waves though I'll ask him. Other ideas maybe the solomon is or png? My uncle is basing a boat up in solo somewhere for fishing/freight work and he reckons the surf is pretty good with a few folks staying at the resorts and shuttling out to the reefs for day trips, but charles don't surf so he may have no idea. Maybe worth a look?

update:

due to time/$$$ constraints, i stayed in oz after the wedding and hit up some of the great ocean road.

thanks for all the responses and ideas.

That first pic is funny. 6 people out and 3 dropping in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    That first pic is funny. 6 people out and 3 dropping in.
    frothin' mate