Salomon STH 16 AFD toe plate cracked

Got a pair of STH16s late last season, bought them used, but no apparent cracks or wear on them. Put them on my Viciks with Sollyfit plates, no problem. Took the STH16 off last night to put on my Dynafits and saw that the entire plastic toe plate was cracked in half. Am I doing something wrong with the forward pressure on the STH's or is this a problem common to the STH's plastic toe AFD plate? As you can see in the photo of the STH's on the Sollyfit plates there is a gap between the Sollyfit plate and the plastic AFD. The Sollyfit plates are mounted correctly and they are flat.

Ideas or suggestions? Thanks...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600x450px-LL-04213ecc_STHtoeAFDsmall.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	110614

I just broke my AFD of my STH16's too, also using sollyfits. Wierd. I took it into a shop and they gave me a new one for free. As far as what broke it, maybe it's the design of the plate? there's that raised section in the back on the sollyfit toepiece in order to allow the ski to flex; maybe that encourages flex in one specific area that could stress the AFD enough to break it? Just a guess.

seems to me like that's the main weak point of those plastic AFD plates....don't know, maybe Salomon could bring back the 997 AFD design and incorporate a more durable plastic/metal plate there or if the older Salomon AFD plates are more durable and compatible with the STH's maybe use those?

I also had this problem and am running sollyfits. Mine broke then I cased a small stream bed and double heel ejected. You can order replacement AFDs at through a shop.

This is a very interesting development! I'd been chatting with mtnjam but originally I couldn't see how the plates could cause this. The way I designed the plates, there is solid metal underneath the part of the AFD which contacts the boot. In fact the boot should contact the AFD right above the screws - that's on purpose.

The fact that three people have posted that they've had this problem with SollyFits makes me question that however.

Would you guys care to list the model of bindings you're using?

Thanks for the reply Jon. The boot should have a small amount of space between the boot and the AFD correct? Like business card thickness or the Salomon AFD "card". I'm using STH16's for reference.
    The Sollyfit plates are level, just put the level on them and they are true...so sounds like the problem is with the AFD plates.

Thanks for the heads up folks, I will keep an eye on mine.
    watch out for snakes

I'm also using STH 16s. I never suspected it was due to the sollyfits either, but this thread has me thinking too. I'm not sure what difference the plates could be making.

My first thought: confirm your toe height is correctly adjusted.

My second thought: Salomon will probably ship you a new AFD for free. Go to your local Salomon dealer. Be prepared for the possibility of it taking several weeks for Salomon's lazy warranty dept to take care of you.

It's strange to hear that this is happening to multiple people runny Sollyfits. Good for Jondrums taking an interest and working to identify and potentially solve any problems.

I'd love to get one of the cracked AFDs in my hands to make a judgement call. One of you guys who have a warranty replacement PM me and I'll pay shipping. Either way, contact me privately and we'll work something out.

This is only guessing and don't know much about the flex of the plates - but could the main part of the binding together with the central part of the plates that screw down make the plate / binding combo so stiff that it will not flex at all in the middle. Then behind the rear screws of the front plate (where there is nothing screwed above or below, is where the plate is allowed to flex. So rather than the whole plate flexing, the plate may flex very sharply at the back set of screws which is right below where the AFD cracked? Also would the metal enhance any vibrations rather than dampen them, causing fatigue a lot quicker?

JD, I'll send you both of my AFD plates, the one that is completely broken in half and the other one that is developing a nice stress fracture. No worries on shipping. I'll get a hold of Salomon next week to get my replacements, until then I'll run my Dynafits.

skimaxpower, good point, the forward pressure and toe height are spot on, that is with the afd in the position it's in as seen in the above photo. So if the AFD was flat the toe height would have to come down.

Checked this on my sth 16s mounted flat on my gotamas. Same gap between afd and ski as shown between afd and plate in the photo. I think it has something to do with the metal piece the toe piece sits on being attached to a plastic afd. I checked my sth 14 drivers which have the plastic pivot piece and the same afd, and that afd was snug to the ski with no gap. Wierd as both are pretty much the same binding and both toe heights and fp are set the same.

Revival of an older thread....

Are the plastic STH16 driver AFD swapable with other driver plates (i.e. 14's or S900's or 914's?) Same screw pattern, etc? or not

Sent the cracked STH16's to jondrums to see if he can come up with something.

I'm thinking some sort of plastic or foam shim that could be placed under the gap seen in the photo.

Ive broke my STH14 AFD's while not using Sollyfit plates. I think it's just a combination of cold weather and a little bit of snow working under the AFD plate (even though there was never a gap to begin with).

I broke a toe AFD this weekend. Very similar to the OP. Anyone else still having issues?

Also I think this thread started before the loctite discovery, but no loctite was used on mine.

I just discovered the same on my Sth 16's over the weekend, as the OP pictured, around the rear toe piece holes.

Also a black piece of plastic in the heel appears to have a stress fracture. I did use loctite over the last two seasons, but probably have two change outs, no not THAT much loctite was used. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3145[1].jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	131905Photo doesn't show it well, but it's the black plastic just to the left of the rear screw. I don't think it's structural as the screw/bracket will hold the track down which holds the binding to the ski. Do I need to start hunting for replacement parts asap?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3147[1].jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	856.8 KB 
ID:	131904  
    Last edited by brown9; 02-05-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Attach better photo

i'm thinking that it's easier to over-tighten the machine screws than wood screws, thus causing a spate of cracked baseplates (+, in some cases, weakening of the baseplates through exposure to lock-tite vapor).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    i'm thinking that it's easier to over-tighten the machine screws than wood screws, thus causing a spate of cracked baseplates (+, in some cases, weakening of the baseplates through exposure to lock-tite vapor).
    Is there a certain torque that these should be torqued to if it was optimal?
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

replaced the baseplates last season and have lots of days on them this season with no cracks...probably overtightened them, used loctite, but very little.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsskier View Post
    Is there a certain torque that these should be torqued to if it was optimal?
    good question, not certain of the answer.

for some reason 3Nm is sticking in my head for standard ski screw torque.
    but that could be waaay off too.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Got a pair of STH16s late last season, bought them used, but no apparent cracks or wear on them. Put them on my Viciks with Sollyfit plates, no problem. Took the STH16 off last night to put on my Dynafits and saw that the entire plastic toe plate was cracked in half. Am I doing something wrong with the forward pressure on the STH's or is this a problem common to the STH's plastic toe AFD plate? As you can see in the photo of the STH's on the Sollyfit plates there is a gap between the Sollyfit plate and the plastic AFD. The Sollyfit plates are mounted correctly and they are flat.

Ideas or suggestions? Thanks...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600x450px-LL-04213ecc_STHtoeAFDsmall.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	110614
    Anybody know what's up with the gap in the back of the afd there, where the afd plate is raised off the ski/plate??? Just mounted up some sth16 steels and have the same gap, seems like the plastic is just moulded that way.....seems odd but done on purpose??? Thanks!

Live chatted with a backcountry.com rep, they had no idea. Only thing I could think of is they are intended to be used with a typical salomon ski, which has a relatively thick, soft topsheet, where the plastic of the baseplate would dig in and then it would sit flat. This obviously can't happen on the AL plate, thus leading to a stress point and cracking baseplates.

Mounting them to some older stocklis which have a very hard thin topsheet on top of metal. Decided to just take a panzer file (to my brand new $600 binding, LOL) and file off the protruding section so the entire AFD plate sits flat. With the toe height adjusted everything is is nice and tight with no slop or gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Anybody know what's up with the gap in the back of the afd there, where the afd plate is raised off the ski/plate??? Just mounted up some sth16 steels and have the same gap, seems like the plastic is just moulded that way.....seems odd but done on purpose??? Thanks!
    I have numerous pairs of sth and they are all like that. Cracked afd plates are sometimes caused by corrosive blue locktite. Call Salomon and they will send you a replacement for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using TGR Forums
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996