Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Krypton Pro vs Cross Questions

I went to bootfitter and really liked the Kryptons. However, they didn't have my size in the configuration I wanted, so fitter suggested I look online and bring them back for fitting once I find a deal. Wow.

Anyway, I can find the Cross in my size and the Pro one shell size bigger. Both with the ID Liners (Silver and Gold respectively). I tried both on in the shop with stock liners (as well as the Rampage).

My question, does adding the ID liner warrant moving up a shell size, or should I stick with the Cross ID in the smaller shell size? In the shop, there wasn't much difference in feel between the two shell sizes, so I would want to go smaller and do a few extra punches if necessary. I guess the question is there really that much difference between one shell size to be concerned, and would I be happier with the Pro in a larger shell or the more limited Cross in the size down? The larger shell buys me a little bit of extra width, which might be appreciated, and wouldn't require toe punch out/stretch. I should add that the flex on the Cross is probably a good range for me, but I would prefer to have the additional options (and dig the color) of the Pro. Prices are very close between the two.

Thanks!

DO NOT CHANGE SHELL SIZE.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    DO NOT CHANGE SHELL SIZE.
    I should add I'm in the larger size Shell now in my Langes but it is not a true WC/Perf fit. That is what I expected. Should I just go with the Cross ID then?

Do not go up in shell size.

Either buy the Cross in the correct size, or keep looking online. The boot has changed very little in the past six years, so you can also consider a slightly used pair or last years model.

Thanks.

That is what I suspected. However, I have heard the Pro I.D. liner is much lower volume than the silver that comes with the Cross, hence my question about going Pro with the larger (26.5) shell vs. the Cross at 25.5

stay smaller... all kryptons are the same basic shell shape, just changes in liners, and flexes, and options.

and if you want a deal on a 25.5 let me know
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...of-extra-parts

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    stay smaller... all kryptons are the same basic shell shape, just changes in liners, and flexes, and options.

and if you want a deal on a 25.5 let me know
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...of-extra-parts
    Thanks mntlion...I really want the ID liner for warmth and custom fit.

I have 25.5 Cross ID's on the way. I believe there should be no flex issues, but I would prefer to have the added flexibility (pun intended) of the Pro and dig the steezey green. Don't seem to be many around. If anyone would be up for a trade for a brand new pair of 26.5 for 25.5 I could swing that :-)

Just add intuition liners and you have the same boot. But you have some on the way

Just add intuition liners and you have the same boot. But you have some on the way
    I actually pinged you the other day about having ID liners, which you don't. I also emailed Dalbello to see if they sell them but never got a reply.

I've read mixed reviews of "standard" Intuitions working well with the Kryptons.

I have " standard intuitions" with a krypton cross and I love em much more than the langes before that
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” HST

which intuitions do you have gonzo?

The Pro Wrap will be closer to the ID Gold. That said, I had the silver and the gold, and I thought the silver was both warmer and a tad more comfortable. You aren't giving up that much going from the Pro to the Cross.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Do not go up a size especially with the ID liner. Most people I know including myself went down a size when they went to a boot with a intuion liner. I'm skiing the Pros this year. Skied the Crosses the past 2 years. Both great boots, but I do love the adjustability of the Pros. Also they just react to input that much quicker. The Pro shells are made out of a higher density poly than the rest of the krypton line. More responsive. Give me shout if you want to know more about what I think of the 2 models.

I agree, do not go a size up. I have the cross with the Id gold and the "b" tounge from the pro. (I downsized from a 29.5 in the technica diablo to a 28.5 in the kcross FTIW)Great boot espically when it fits you. Krypton parts are Relativly easy to find, and for cheap. I say go with the cross and use the bigger stiffining shims. You can always upgrade the tounge/other components down the road.

The silver is closer to the Luxury. Both ID liners come spec'd with thinner foam under the foot than standard Intuition liners, so keep that in mind relative to your footbed. If you use a thicker footbed, like a Superfeet Cork, and have a tallish foot be sure to stomp down hard flat in the boot a few times during the molding to thin down that underfoot foam in the Intuition.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Thanks for all the replies. The shop who SOLD me the Cross ID's has now reneged claiming they don't have them in stock (but noticed they raised the prices closer to their original price), so now I'm in possession of a pair of 25.5 Rampage ID's and soon to be 26.5 Pro ID's.

The 25.5's are about a 4-5mm shell fit or less, which makes me a bit nervous. I don't know yet what the Pros are since I don't have them but If my calculations are correct, the 26.5 will give me 14-15mm shell fit. I am also really afraid the Rampage is way to soft. I realize they'll stiffen a bit in the cold, but I think I will easily overpower them and have no way to stiffen.

So the plot thickens. Rampages on the smaller end of the spectrum or Pros on the larger end of the spectrum...or continue the search?

The boot fitter in me says go stiffer and smaller.
    you can make a small boot bigger, not big boot smaller.
    you can make a stiff boot softer, but no much the other way....

the seller in me says
    {my 25 are on ebay now}/end spam

Question

you can make a small boot bigger, not big boot smaller.
    you can make a stiff boot softer, but no much the other way....

the seller in me says
    {my 25 are on ebay now}/end spam
    mntlion...all very good points. I guess my question is...does 14-15mm shell fit (assuming my measurement is accurate) put me in the upper end of a performance fit or am I really moving into more of a recreational fit? This is just a hair over 1/2" for us Americans...and my thought was anything less than 1" is considered "performance" fit?

Regarding your boots on ebay, I would still need to source ID liners (Dalbello is sold out for the year, boots too) or find a suitable Intuition to go in there. Also, it appears that ship may have sailed based on the number of bids you've received so far!

Once the man in brown shows up today, I should have a bit more intel on the 26's and if things go as I suspect, I may have to go back to the drawing board.

Another option is to get through the season on my current boots, save my benjamins and revisit in the fall when the 2013 Kryptons hit the shelves

In a perfect world, I would like to go this route. In my case, the choices at hand are basically Smaller with more Flex or Larger with less Flex. Since I appear to be somewhat in the middle of the range on size, which is preferable? Making a slightly larger boot smaller or trying to make a soft boot stiffer?

How many different goddamn way do we have to say don't go with the bigger boot!?!? Geezus! Are you really that THICK? Buy the damn boot you want, and then don't start a thread about how much they suck when they pack out. Cripes!!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    How many different goddamn way do we have to say don't go with the bigger boot!?!? Geezus! Are you really that THICK? Buy the damn boot you want, and then don't start a thread about how much they suck when they pack out. Cripes!!
    Seriously?

My current situation doesn't allow for a "perfect storm". I don't have the option to buy the Pro ID in a 25.5. The 26.5 turns out to be a 13mm shell fit and not so tight on the arch (I have C/D unweighted/weighted width). I don't think my question is that out of line. I'm within the threshold of a "good" fit in the 26.5's in a boot I believe to be the right flex (that I have in possession). The 25.5 Rampage (Cross didn't come through) is a 3-4mm fit and VERY uncomfortable in the arch area and instep. It is definitely too flexible.

I may be missing something, since I'm so THICK, but I don't think my questions are that out of line. I have 2 boots in hand, neither of which appear to be ideal. However, I'm simply questioning if maybe one of them IS ideal. If the consensus is that's not the case, I can continue looking.

I'm fine with going to a bootfitter with either boot, but obviously the 25.5 (not available in a flex I need) will require more stretching/punchouts, etc than the larger boot (which again, falls well within the 5-15mm mark defined by mtlion, and even more inline versus other gauges I've seen) and since I clearly bought the boot online, I will have to pay for those adjustments.

As also stated earlier in the post, I'm currently in 26.5 Langes, but they are not stiff enough and I'm overpowering them. Also they are a 101 last, and that is causing the biggest issue with my overpronation. The length has not been an issue in that boot.

I'm not trying to justify a preconceived conclusion here. Really just looking for some differing opinions. So far, the majority seems to have weighed in on the smaller boot, which unfortunately is not available in the flex I need. Axebiker, I will add your vote to the smaller boot camp...much appreciated.

If anyone has some experiences contrary to the buy the smallest shell you can possibly fit in and then have hours and hours of punching, stretching, hours in a bootfitter shop instead of on the slopes, I would be interested to hear them and should I decide to go against the mob, I will certainly not start a thread bitching about a packed out boot, but take responsibility and size down if needed. If I do decide to go with the consensus (so far), I will continue my search for a 25.5 Pro ID, wait until next fall to resume the search, or visit a bootfitter and try to find another boot.

FWIW, my current boot was bought with too wide a last and too soft a flex...and I used a very reputable bootfitter which I won't mention. I'm not bitching about that, but trying to resolve it with the help of a seemingly DIY mentality group of skiers.

thanks for all the feedback!

go smaller (still)

go smaller (still)
    Duly noted. I'm only hesitant because I've been in small boots before in my life, and when I was skiing 60+ days a year that was an easy compromise to make. When skiing 20-30, it's harder to justify many hours/days with the bootfitter dialing in the perfect fit.

I think I will reset my search and start over, possibly waiting until next year when there are more ideal options.

Thanks!

I ski the Cross. The only significant difference between it and the Pro are the tongues and the bootboards, and given the difference in price, it's cheaper to use the Cross and order a stiffer tongue (comes out to about $40 less than Pro). But mainly, don't go all defensive, and reread your own first post. If the Cross is "in your size" (your quote), and if everyone here (including some very experienced folks) is saying to stick with what fits you, and stop overanalyzing shells and liners, then WHY GO LARGER? For the sake of getting a cool color?