Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Extra Gnarly, Super Awesome New Trick

So I learned a rad new trick this weekend, I'm sure some of you have done it, but it was new for me.

Here's how you do it

Step 1: Ski a Colorado resort without any snow, call it I dunno Winterpark

Step 2: Begin skiing back to your car at the end of the day taking a beginner run

Step 3: Be going normal, "Fuck I'd better not eat shit for some random reason" speed

Step 4: Eat shit for some random reason, real fuckin hard (in my case after hitting a hidden rock while poppin in and out of the trees next to the run). I'm talking the type of shit-eatin where you get a nice pause to think, "Fuck this is gonna hurt bad" before slamming into flat hardpack at 50 mph

Step 5: Ski down to the lift, hoping no one realizes you ate shit where you did on the mountain

Step 6: At Lift Line, examine shoulder, realize it is definitely dislocated

Final Step: Okay this is what makes it, look at all the fucking gaypers standing around you, think about all the way more awesome places you have gotten hurt and say "Fuck this." Grab the sturdy pole in front of you with your bad arm and relocate the motherfucker in the goddamn line. It is okay to make a noise when it pops in as long as it is no more than a yelp of surprise that draws onlookers' attention

Now, say something loudly to your bro like, "Dude, now we know it was dislocated" and enjoy the look on your dentist's face when he realizes that some dude just relocated his own shoulder standing next to him in the lift line.

If you want you can ski down to patrol and ask for ice, if you know them though you get a joint and a beer with it

so that's both shoulder's dislocated in under 12 months=winning

can't wait to get back after it, but might stick to my backcountry until we get some more schnee up in here

If I expect any sympathy ( I don't) I guess I should post some cool pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2379.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	791.9 KB 
ID:	110236
    Last edited by ShadyNasty; 02-14-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: make pictures work

this and this

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	110237

Name:	IMG_2249.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	952.3 KB 
ID:	110238

sounds gnar. Best explanation of a dislocation I've heard.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

That is pretty gnar-bar. Big balls!

Oh and nice blog Jong! (couldn't resist)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

I loled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

^^^
    i'm glad

Don, thanks & I'll try and keep the stories shorter, btw you can suck on those balls

very nice, I think i will try that once...not twice though

I did that once, almost exactly the same scenario except when I opened my jacket and reached up towards my shoulder I discovered my collarbone poking out- wasn't really able to pull that one back into place unfortunately. Liftie didn't believe me when I said it was broken... then he saw it. It was grate fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyNasty View Post

Name:	IMG_2249.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	952.3 KB 
ID:	110238
    Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anyone hike up something that steep before. You must be really rad! That's gotta be like 100 degrees at least!!

^^^lol now I see what you mean

I would fix it, but your comment was clever and I want other people to get your joke

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyNasty View Post
    If I expect any sympathy ( I don't) I guess I should post some cool pictures

Name:	IMG_2379.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	791.9 KB 
ID:	110236
    I like this one, its like your Lando Calrissian...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloudcitybitch.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	110252  
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

^^^
    so more importantly, would Lando go see a doctor?

or would he still do the Weekend Warrior competition on the 25?

maybe I should ask gimp central

and here's my one-upmanship:

http://backcountrybeacon.com/2010/04...e-backcountry/

My story is way moar bettarer.

when you are at nearly once a week "injuries", then we can talk. I really should not be proud of this...

"90-Degree-Elbow Arm Fly"
    ^^ my go to method

^^^been there done that, switch to the road

Quote Originally Posted by Utahrd View Post
    and here's my one-upmanship:

http://backcountrybeacon.com/2010/04...e-backcountry/

My story is way moar bettarer.
    Cool story bro, I'm not gonna click the link (no one is), but cool story

is this just a thread for jongs to argue about getting hurt? if so, my bad for starting it

You relocated your own shoulder. Big deal. What about that guy who cut off his own arm? Now that's impressive.

Tedski??
    I still call it The Jake.

"RIGGS!"

Just an FYI, not out to one-up you. You need to hear this:

I've dislocated both shoulders several times. Also went through a surgery on each. You don't want to continue this. I know it doesn't hurt when you put it back in. It likely feels good. I recall doing pushups immediately after to tighten my shoulder muscles. Pushups are pain reliever.

But- the depth of this injury isn't hitting you yet. It'll hit you in your mid-thirties. I'm 36.

I have severe arthritis in my shoulders now from all the in and out rubbing that goes on with (dis)locations.
    I can't change my shirt or even get dressed without kicking my past decisions.
    I can't sleep without my hands going numb as my arms in general don't have adequate circulation anymore.
    I can't throw a baseball with my kids.
    I can't swim a traditional breath-stroke.
    So, I can't surf.
    If I go without working out for 3 weeks, it dislocates in my sleep.
    I take Aleve daily as a pain reliever.
    I haven't dislocated my shoulder for 5 years now. And it was 5 years before that one. It's been roughly 10 years since my cycle.

I don't have tendons anymore, only muscle tissue holding everything together. The doc said that a repair would involve a hamstring biopsy to rebuild tendons in my shoulder. Fuck that double recovery.

Dude, don't play the dislocated shoulder game. You have no idea how long this will impact your life. Nobody told me about the long-term damage I was doing. Or if they did, I didn't listen.

/The biggest regret of my entire ski career that also ended my competing career. Stop it. Don't ever do it again.

/shrug/

That's what you get for skiing trees that low on a mountain I guess...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Just an FYI, not out to one-up you. You need to hear this:

I've dislocated both shoulders several times. Also went through a surgery on each. You don't want to continue this. I know it doesn't hurt when you put it back in. It likely feels good. I recall doing pushups immediately after to tighten my shoulder muscles. Pushups are pain reliever.

But- the depth of this injury isn't hitting you yet. It'll hit you in your mid-thirties. I'm 36.

I have severe arthritis in my shoulders now from all the in and out rubbing that goes on with (dis)locations.
    I can't change my shirt or even get dressed without kicking my past decisions.
    I can't sleep without my hands going numb as my arms in general don't have adequate circulation anymore.
    I can't throw a baseball with my kids.
    I can't swim a traditional breath-stroke.
    So, I can't surf.
    If I go without working out for 3 weeks, it dislocates in my sleep.
    I take Aleve daily as a pain reliever.
    I haven't dislocated my shoulder for 5 years now. And it was 5 years before that one. It's been roughly 10 years since my cycle.

I don't have tendons anymore, only muscle tissue holding everything together. The doc said that a repair would involve a hamstring biopsy to rebuild tendons in my shoulder. Fuck that double recovery.

Dude, don't play the dislocated shoulder game. You have no idea how long this will impact your life. Nobody told me about the long-term damage I was doing. Or if they did, I didn't listen.

/The biggest regret of my entire ski career that also ended my competing career. Stop it. Don't ever do it again.
    shit... buzzkill...
    I'm in PT for it right now; surgery is a much more difficult option for me than most, at least logistically.

Quote Originally Posted by sicktird View Post
    "RIGGS!"
    I was waiting for this.

don't know who tedski is,
    to grrskier, yup

"I can't change my shirt or even get dressed without kicking my past decisions. "
    "The biggest regret of my entire ski career that also ended my competing career. Stop it. Don't ever do it again."

gaijin thank you for posting, I am seeing a doctor today. I do not think it was a bad dislocation because it relocated so easily and hopefully I didn't tear to much stuff.

My right shoulder I very badly dislocated during a very bad fall and I had to have athroscopic surgery. Thankfully, it has healed very well and the tissues should be fully prepared, I can already throw with it.

This new one on the left shoulder shouldn't need surgery, but yes that means it will be at increased risk of re-injury. So i will definitely take your advice and do whatever I can to heal it as much as possible and not let it happen again if I can help it. I think I am taking the rest of February off so that I can do the March competition and ski when the snowpack is deeper.

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.