Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Not the best vid but worth the watch if you cheer for the old guys!
    Nice helis! Didn't got the guts to try those on 205s this year (did a few last year...surprisingly hard compared to the modern skis. This year the kicker was so tight that the skis barely fit to the curve of the jump...I was afraid that I am going to crack those planks Might have to try shorter skis next year...eventhough the whole idea of our event is to go fully old school!)

but the airs...the airs were killing me.
    "The WTF: The craziest thing about a bump comp isn’t the actual bumps. It’s the few seconds leading up to the kicker. Good skiers plan ahead. Good skiers don’t drink beer all day. Knees together, upper body square but fluid, pole plant, pole plant, you got this…Where’s Terry? There he is. Right with me. Go faster! Here comes the jump. I think I’ll do a twister. Nah, did that last time. Hurry up and decide, man. Is that dirt in my mouth? Here it comes. Maybe a backscratcher? Haven’t done one since high school, but…oh shit… And then it’s some kind of twister spread or spread eagle with such a hard landing it knocks your hat and sunnies clean off."

From Powder Mag Article:
    http://www.powder.com/stories/bring-...Lklwmx8ytSA.97

The kickers seem to come up quicker and quicker every year...just casually bashing the bumbs isn't that hard - but the comp runs with airs is totally different thing! (But I guess if you do those once in a while = very good for your overall skiing?)
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Hey...can one of you guys help me out with something?

I couldn't figure out exactly how you're supposed to figure time into the 60-20-20 judging format....

the USSA manual has a formula for figuring a pace time, and says speed is worth 20 points...but I wasn't able to figure how actual run time versus pace time produced a point value.

Anybody able to educate me on that?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Both knees are sore, both thumbs, a shoulder, shins....I feel like I just crashed my truck on the way home from bullriding at the rodeo.

I know that feeling

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Attachment 202985

Video from last year.
    Some background... 41 yrs old
    ex Comp mogul skier from mid nineties. Coached for years and did well as I enjoyed it and I was really good at yelling and motivating kids.

I knew when I was in my late 20's I was going to do the Provincial Champs when I turned 40. I told no-one except my wife and an ex-athlete of mine who became a friend and agreed to be my coach. When the registration list was released the day before training people thought it was a joke and I got a few messages. No joke... Serious old mogul skier is serious.
    Training went well with one massive crash that hurt like hell. Honestly took me 3 weeks to recover.

Super fun experience as many athletes I had coached were there watching / coaching including a current national team skier who I coached as a kid. As well one of the coaches who taught me alot and who was a mentor was in attendance.

8 th place overall and first in my age category! (obviously) I beat a lot of kids who should be ashamed that a fat old bald guy beat them. Thought I would share the video finally.
    Moguls made me a great skier and now I can happily stay away from the zipper line and comp mogul airs for the rest of my life. or till I'm 50!

Spread twist twist!!!!

Not the best vid but worth the watch if you cheer for the old guys!

comp runs are the two shot from the start.
    Completely fucking awesome. Seriously.

Not sure if a lot of people who casually ski bumps understand how difficult those courses can be (although the pics do make this one look a little softer than most). Way to go handing a bunch of those kids their asses. POTD, week, month, maybe year. Advance out of Provincials next year?
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Hey...can one of you guys help me out with something?

I couldn't figure out exactly how you're supposed to figure time into the 60-20-20 judging format....

the USSA manual has a formula for figuring a pace time, and says speed is worth 20 points...but I wasn't able to figure how actual run time versus pace time produced a point value.

Anybody able to educate me on that?
    Maybe...so you got the pace time by dividing course length by the constant (9.7m/s for men?), here is what I think is next: pace time would be a 6.0 out of a possible 7.5 points (so 80%). You then calculate actual times as a percentage of the pace time, which would then move that 6.0 up or down in 1% increments.

So say pace time is 100 seconds (long course)--a skier who takes 110 seconds is 10% slower, so loses .6 points (10% of 6), and gets a 5.4 in speed.

I think the above is probably right.

Or just make it a dual and forget about it.

Or get Buster to create something based on differential equations or something even scarier.
    [quote][//quote]

I like that. Thanks
    Can anyone confirm or deny that's how USSA and/or FIS actually does it?

And yes, for a shwag springtime local hill mogul comp, duals would be the most fun way to go by far. Twice the kicker-building though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Completely fucking awesome. Seriously.

Not sure if a lot of people who casually ski bumps understand how difficult those courses can be (although the pics do make this one look a little softer than most). Way to go handing a bunch of those kids their asses. POTD, week, month, maybe year. Advance out of Provincials next year?

Thanks Dex! Appreciate the positive comments. Not sure why but I was hesitant to post the footage.
    Course was to spec. Super warm so the sides were soft but the ruts were huge!

At this level most kids choose the outside lines leaving the inside less skied. I was super nervous second run as I thought the bumps would be over my head. Luckily it was slipped in between runs and when I showed up they were perfect!

yes

i realized fairly quickly for someone of my intellectual capacity that snowboarding moguls is at least not fun for extended periods and, for me, any periods. in hindsight, it seems possible that snowboarding moguls could be lame, in the possibly least judgmental connotation of that word.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i realized fairly quickly for someone of my intellectual capacity that snowboarding moguls is at least not fun for extended periods and, for me, any periods. in hindsight, it seems possible that snowboarding moguls could be lame, in the possibly least judgmental connotation of that word.
    Depends on the bumps. I have a younger friend who slays the moguls on his board. Its like poetry...He actually will go looking for them when there is no snow. I board a bit and stay far far away from moguls.

i enjoyed the technical idea, but my knee was compromised before i started riding. it was apparent that moguls took more out of my knee than they were worth.

No. In fact more people should ski them.

Spring has sprung and its mogul season!!!! (Which isnt lame...)

^^ Maybe it was lame in '18 only.

this was posted in another thread.

I like how even the best don't look like perfect WC bump skiers in real world bumps. Its encouraging. The zipper that Johnny hits at 2:30 looks like a WC course but otherwise, those are pretty "real world looking" irregular bumps and they all get tossed here and there, use different lines, different techniques. Cool.

I'm still pretty bad (terrible) at these but I've been focused on getting better. I've taken a lesson which helped but, really the interwebs have been fantastic. Here's wat I can tell you from the interwebs about mogul skiing:

If you can't ski moguls, you can't ski, but really they're easy. Your zipper faces the valley, and, preferably, also your chair-lift-riding audience. Its like you're a bear on a unicycle, only you're pedaling the unicycle backwards and teh seat has a spring. And you're zig-zagging while throwing a medicine ball to yourself and catching it. Oh, and your feet are next to each other instead of opposed. just pedal backwards on down the mountain, throwing the ball to yourself but, point your toes down at the top of each stroke. Like you're pushing a gas pedal down. So its like you're driving a Camaro but its a unicycle and you're a bear and throwing a ball to yourself. oh, and zig-zagging. And pedaling backwards. And lean forward, for god's sake lean forward. Then you use your edges all the time and edge hard but then you need to use a lot of pivot slips and not much edge at all while you ride the red blue green yellow line. Look three moguls ahead and "plan your route" then constantly look down at your tips to see what in the fuck is going on. Absorb. ducking bird is not absorbing, nor is it leaning forward. Just stay in the troughs the whole time but turn on top of the mogul, where its easier because you only have edges under your feet. Drift the back side of the mogul you're on but drift the mogul next to you. Slarve but carve. Wear a backpack.

I found some great tips from Lito and Johnny from Youtube. Lito teach a lot of slip in the video i saw. There's a good scene where he films his wife skiing a mogul field and he says something like 'she doesn't look like a world champion mogul skier, nor does she aspire to be one, but look how gracefully she navigates these moguls.' Lito is cool.
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 03-21-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

It's great to see you figured it out. ^^^ Now practice for a decade and it'll come to you, slowly.

Moguls = Lame
    There is a reason people go out in the backcountry... to find better snow than what is left in the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski View Post
    Learning on bumps at outer limits at killington and goat and liftline at stowe has made me a better skier. But the miniscus in my knees hates me. That was back in the late seventies and early eighties.

And bumps rule. If you can ski them.
    XD
    I learned me moguln' skills at Killington too. In the early 2000s

Those rock hard bumps were really sweet in spring>when every run turns into moguls!
    …………………………………………†¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â €¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦ …………………………………………†¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦..
    I love moguls>though I ski the bigger ones on steeps ,that are carve-able > We do not need to Bash bumps, to enjoy moguls

fyi ..you don't see these big moguls on blue runs … Blues run Moguls are almost always to tight ,and require some bashing usually
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    Moguls = Lame

There is a reason people go out in the backcountry... to find better snow than what is left in the resort.

one my best runs EVER was at Alta..right under Wildcat

Caught those Huge bumps ,with untouched Pow one day..(road was closed) and the mountain was empty...3 runs in a row before skiers started showing up .. Moguls are anything, but not lame..sounds like a Lame Skier haha/ jk ..no need for prep h
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Moguls = Lame
    You know, you could actually do both... Truly good skiers can ski virtually anything, have fun and look good doing it. People who think skiing moguls is lame probably can't really ski moguls.....just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    It's great to see you figured it out. ^^^ Now practice for a decade and it'll come to you, slowly.
    LOL. A decade?! Quite encouraging considering my progress thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Spring has sprung and its mogul season!!!! (Which isnt lame...)
    FKNA, luv me some slush bumps, grill and beers in the lot. repeat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1693.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	275259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1674.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	275260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1719.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	275261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1733.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	275262

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    You know, you could actually do both... Truly good skiers can ski virtually anything, have fun and look good doing it. People who think skiing moguls is lame probably can't really ski moguls.....just sayin'.
    People who think skiing moguls is cool probably can’t really ski big mountains in the backcountry.

Simply anecdotal, but most strong BC skiers I know don’t enjoy moguls. Some don’t even like resort skiing altogether.

Most mogul enthusiasts i see at the resort are skinny ski enthusiasts that have never been on a skin track.

People who think skiing moguls is cool probably can’t really ski big mountains in the backcountry.

Simply anecdotal, but most strong BC skiers I know don’t enjoy moguls. Some don’t even like resort skiing altogether.

Most mogul enthusiasts i see at the resort are skinny ski enthusiasts that have never been on a skin track.
    Are you a moron?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang