Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good, entry level pack for weekend hiking trips?

Total jong on this subject, so school me as required.

I am looking for a decent, affordable (but quality) pack for overnights and weekend backpacking trips. Plan to be carrying

• down sleeping bag
    • 1/2 of a 3 person tent (weekend trips)
    • full 3 person tent (or maybe single person, for solo trips)
    • Stove
    • H20
    • Skis? (this is primarily a summer pack)
    • etc?

Looking to spend less then $150 if possible. I am 6' even.
    Last edited by krp8128; 02-13-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

It's winter and you're planning to spend time in the wilderness...you need to make sure you have some dry shit to change into... and hopefully the "etc" includes food, avy gear, and puffy stuff...

I'm gonna take a hit for saying this but for winter trips I recommend you start with a pretty big pack...at least until you get good at packing and develop a reliable list. I know bigger means heavier...we all have a tendency to bring as much as our pack will hold...this is usually waaay more than we need...but until you know the difference between what you want and what you need, you need to bring it all.

I'd recommend something in the 5,000 - 6,000 cubic inch size...but you won't find a decent new one for $150...probably closer to $250-$300 (although I've seen some Kelty packs in the $150-$175 but I can't speak to the quality). I use a REI, XT85 for my extended winter trips (skiing or climbing). I don't ski or climb with it beyond the approach or the tour to the goods (base camp)...I usually try to bring along a small "day tour" pack to carry the essentials when I'm away from the campsite.

I know you can get by with slightly smaller pack but you need to have a "system" to your packing...until you do it for a while you won't be able to get too much smaller...

I'd check the gear swap for a used pack in good shape, until you get into a groove and shrink your packing list...

My $.02

This is just my opinion...I'm sure there are as many suggestions as there are people...good luck.
    Last edited by moops; 02-13-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge...

Osprey Atmos 65 is probably the best "do-everyting well" pack on the market right now.

It's bigger than you need for an overnight, but not too big.

This would be more of a summer oriented pack that might get used in the winter, as opposed to a winter specific pack.
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Then the Osprey ^^^ or Gregory Z45 (http://www.leftlanesports.com/Produc...RG01252&et=lls) are both good choices...
    I'm not sure why I went on the "winter" tangent...maybe because I'm in the middle of packing for a winter trip...

My bad....

here's a good deal on the Gregory Z55 http://gearx.com/gregory-z55-pack-5.html

Hugh Conway Guest
    depending on how bling your stuff is (i.e. small and lightweight) something 40L, 50L or 65L might work. I'm pleased with my now discontinued Arc'tery Bora 50. It's gone weekends in summer and winter, hiking and skiing, carried tents and skis, and been bomber.

Took some webbing and a trip to the cobbler to get it rigger well for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post

I am looking for a decent, affordable (but quality) pack for overnights and weekend backpacking trips. Plan to be carrying

• down sleeping bag
    • Stove
    • H20
    • etc?

Plus sleeping pad, extra socks, rain jacket, warm layer, food, small essentials.

Don't carry a 3 person tent by yourself on a solo trip if at all possible.

Some of this stuff like the sleeping pad and tent parts can be lashed to the pack or stuck under the lid, it doesn't all have to fit inside.

Before spending a lot of money on a pack, load it up with stuff and wear it around the store. Fit is important. You never know when the "right size" pack is gonna press on your shoulders or spine oddly, or something like that. That said, sometimes you can get a good deal on someone else's lightly used pack, but it helps to know what to look for - unless it's freakin' cheap and serves to get you out until you know what you really want, which occasionally happens. Packs aren't like skis, a 10 year old pack design isn't hopelessly outmoded, just a little heavier.

I have a Granite Gear approx 60L pack that works well, for me. It's in the fairly light but not flimsy category.

If it is summer (it is not a fucking blizzard) you don't need a tent. Get a poncho and a bivy sack.

If you need more than 45-50 L for an extended weekend. You are (IMO) doing it wrong.

I just picked up an osprey atmos 50 from ems for 150$. 50l is prob the min I would go. Just find whatever you like. I gave a tendency to lean to osprey packs. They have a great warranty and they fit me pretty good.

This is bar none the best pack I have owned. It is way better than some of the pricier Arcteryx bags I have had in the past in terms of both durability and comfort, although it is a tad heavier.

I know at least a half dozen folks who have bought this pack and have had nothing but good things to say about it. It is not 100% waterproof but I usually stuff anything I don't want getting wet in ultralight dry bags anyways so it had not been an issue. Although, even in fairly heavy rain and not using dry bags my stuff has never gotten wet. The only time I had water seep through the bag was when I had to ford a river with it.

I don't know how close you are to an MEC, but if you can't reach one in person you can order it online. Free shipping too. They also make a 60 liter version for $10 less if 80L is too big for you. MEC will also repair/replace the pack for life no questions asked if you have any issues with it. IMO, they have one of the best return/repair polices I have ever dealt with.

80L - $169 Cad
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hiking...0-backpack.jsp

60L - $159 Cad
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hiking...5-backpack.jsp

As already mentioned Osprey atmos, or Gregory Z series packs are the standard in that price/category.

Osprey tends to have more cheeky, though well thought out, "features" in their packs. Some like this, some don't. Gregory has been making great packs for a long time, and the Zpacks are quite light.

Look for at least 45L, up to 55L. In addition to volume check how much weight the pack is designed to carry. I'd bet since you haven't been buying gear with backpacking in mind, and don't have much experience, you will push 50lbs with food and water on weekend trips. After a few trips you'll knock that down 10lbs and more, but with only one pack, having extra capacity will give you options to throw in the fly rod, or over pack for a comfy basecamp trip.

Also, consider how well the pack compresses down to carry smaller loads. Some packs don't do this well.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If it is summer (it is not a fucking blizzard) you don't need a tent. Get a poncho and a bivy sack.
    sounds miserable on the east coast - I think krp's near the nipple of knowledge if IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post

• down sleeping bag
    • Stove
    • H20
    • etc?
    Know this: No matter what size pack you get, large or small, you will at first have a tendancy to overfill it. I.E.-bringing way too many clothes (that's the biggest mistake newbies make for packing...second is bringing more food prep gear than they need.)

Stick with an absolute minimum of clothes that you will need for the weather. And focus on layering. layering is your friend and forget the cotton. Light weight, wicking UnderArmour or Patagonia synthetics are your friend too. Sure, you'll stink, but so will the others in your party. just bring some Dr. Bronners soap and a lightweight chamois towel and you'll keep clean.

Given that you will overpack...I don't think you need a big 6000-7000ci garagantun pack...you'll just fill it up and it will make those weekend trips HELL.

For your FIRST pack, I'd stick with something in the 4000 to 5000ci range and try to get a pack that is BOTH top-loading AND has a zipper access for the middle. LOTS of great companies out there spanning wide price range. Northface is pretty much always good but expensive. I like MountainSmith for comfort and adjustability but others often find them too complex. But they're DAMN comfortable!! They're expensive too, though.

Best thing to do is head to a decent shop like REI or Downy Friends (can't remember their actual name in Seattle...just a couple blocks from REI)...place needs to have a shitload of packs to test. Take that ridiculous paper out of the pack and fill it with stuff from the store similar to what you'll actually be taking. freeze-dried food...clothes...pans....stove...etc. The heavy sand bags they'll have on hand won't really tell you shit because WHO hikes with sand weights....they don't approximate a DAMN THING that you'll actually be taking with you. They have a problem with you filling their pack with their store goods, just tell them: "well you want to sell a pack or not?".

Testing a RANGE of packs is the best thing you can do. And YES, you can take it back if it doesn't fit.

--
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 02-14-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: got my cubic volumes screwed up!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Best thing to do is head to a decent shop like REI or Downy Friends (can't remember their actual name in Seattle...just a couple blocks from REI)
    Feathered Friends is a great local gear shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    depending on how bling your stuff is (i.e. small and lightweight) something 40L, 50L or 65L might work. I'm pleased with my now discontinued Arc'tery Bora 50. It's gone weekends in summer and winter, hiking and skiing, carried tents and skis, and been bomber.

Took some webbing and a trip to the cobbler to get it rigger well for winter.
    I use the bora 40 for ski touring or weekend BP trips, I was able to swap to a smaller hip belt which I needed, its on the heavy side but the suspension system will handle carrying a lot of shit stuffed into the extended top

Thanks guys.

Obviously I am limited on lightweight gear (camping gear period), but am keeping weight in mind as i make purchases. I do plan on picking up a cheap backpacking tent (Found a Kelty, ~$100) for solo trips.

I'm in central NY, so options are limited (as far as I know) for in store purchases. EMS might be my only option, perhaps Gander Mountain.

Hugh Conway Guest
    For a cheap 3-season backpacking tent, try to find the Sierra Designs Flashlight (or later clip flashlight - there were also other branded versions, like I believe nashbar?) you can find them used insanely cheap sometimes ($25) and they are good, durable, 3 season tents. Bit much mesh for winter and they require a stakeout but they are still decently light for a full service tent. If well pitched they can handle winds that will make sleeping miserable from the noise and not fail.

Call Randy at Cold Cold World.
    He based out of the NE and builds custom packs priced right. I've been using mine for 20 years on skiing & climbing trips, great packs!

Chernobyl runs about $165.

http://coldcoldworldpacks.com/intro.htm

PSSST.... You need to get the pack that fits. Until you know for sure which one that is, ordering online is a crap shoot. Pack fit as important as ski boot fit for a long day in the mountains with much more than about 20 lbs. You need to know some basic sizing info to even get close..

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/sizing_and_fitting

50L should be plenty for a weekend, and okay for winter camping if you can live with strapping a bunch of crap to the outside. ( I hate that personally ).

It would be well worth it to make a trip to a good store ( if they exist anymore ) and get some help in getting a pack that really fits you. Especially if you're on either end of the bell curve when it comes to weight and height.

Uberlight weight packs are fine if you are only carrying uberlight weight loads. They suck rocks if you ever need to carry more than the 20lbs most ultra-light packers are aiming at.

A custom pack for $165 is a great deal and the Cold Cold world packs have a good reputation.

Another small pack maker with good stuff is Mountain Tools, relatively expensive though.

If you're poking around for deals. Deuter and Vaude from Europe are quality packs that can often be
    found cheap and MEC in Canada has pretty good deals on their house brands.

Gregory z55 on SAC NOW!!!!

http://www.steepandcheap.com/?avad=18493_d2880097

Fit is important, but it isn't terribly difficult to achieve, assuming you are reasonably average build. If you buy the right size for your torso you will likely be happy after adjustment.

The biggest problems you may encounter are pack width and waist belt sizing. Many packs have interchangeable waist belts, so check that size as well and get the correct size. Width is the biggest problem that can't be adjusted out, but most packs are generic enough to work for most. Vaude tend to be very narrow, "euro size".

Unless you have an odd shape, don't over think it. More important is to adjust the pack correctly to fit you.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Quote Originally Posted by bbense View Post
    PSSST.... You need to get the pack that fits. Until you know for sure which one that is, ordering online is a crap shoot. Pack fit as important as ski boot fit for a long day in the mountains with much more than about 20 lbs. You need to know some basic sizing info to even get close..

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/sizing_and_fitting

50L should be plenty for a weekend, and okay for winter camping if you can live with strapping a bunch of crap to the outside. ( I hate that personally ).

It would be well worth it to make a trip to a good store ( if they exist anymore ) and get some help in getting a pack that really fits you. .
    I suggested that once and was laughed at but I know I needed a smaller hip belt from the small sized pack than what came on both my regular sized bora 40 & bora 65,we spent 2hrs fitting the GF for a new weekend/ski pack which involved trying a bunch of packs but it was worth the hassle because now its easier to load her up with more shit to slow her down

I think nowadays people just buy a pack online and sell it on e-bay when it doesn't work out

All a bigger pack does is give you room to pack shit you don't need.

How much does 80lbs of lightweight gear weigh?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    All a bigger pack does is give you room to pack shit you don't need.
    yes, like a tent, so you don't spend your time in mosquito/bug bitten misery