Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to tell if first descent?

I tried searching, but everything that returns is about people *doing* a first descent. What I want to know, is how do I find out if someone has skied a line already? I'm thinking there's a record of this somewhere and would really appreciate some input here. I've a line that I'm planning on skiing this spring and I think it's a first descent, but don't know where to find out if it is or not. Anyway, much thanks for any input you might have. Gracias, homeslices.

Well, if it doesnt have tracks, it is a first descent.

And if you dont tweet & facebook about it, it is not.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

PM Rontele, he maintains the official list of first ski descents worldwide

Maybe you should ski the thing first, eh?

If you've never skied it, then it is a first descent....just have fun and forget about trying to be the core-est person out there. If you're having fun then it is all good.....even if you're doing it wrong.

Dude, you're in Colorado. If the descent you are talking about is in Colorado, I can almost promise you its not a first descent. Everything, except maybe a few hidden gems in the san juans has been done. Above all, if you can see the thing from any road, its definitely not going to be a first descent. But, to answer your question, there really isn't an official online database or something like that. Its more sort of word of mouth. Your best bet is to post the claim, and see if anyone says they've skied it. You could also check listsofjohn.com, and see who else has been to the summit, and ask them. Its kind of a cool site, if you're into peakbagging, and slightly OCD. What peak are you thinking of?

There are lines visible from ski areas and roads that have never been skied, so I have to disagree with GIR to some extent, however I will agree with his basic premise and add that with this thin of a snow year, anything that has filled in enough to ski has been skied before. Any first decent in CO at this point is either just some hidden thing in the middle of no where or its a line that only gets filled in once a decade or less, probably both.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Just ski it and claim it.

The loudest shit talker always wins.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Just ski it and claim it.

The loudest shit talker always wins.
    and go-pro it.
    never forget the go-pro.
    Ski more blog less - Foggy Goggles

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I tried searching, but everything that returns is about people *doing* a first descent. What I want to know, is how do I find out if someone has skied a line already? I'm thinking there's a record of this somewhere and would really appreciate some input here. I've a line that I'm planning on skiing this spring and I think it's a first descent, but don't know where to find out if it is or not. Anyway, much thanks for any input you might have. Gracias, homeslices.
    Show us which line you want to ski, and we'll try to help.
    Gracias.
    Ski more blog less - Foggy Goggles

within 100 miles of a ski resort and more than 200 vert means probably not in this country.

still lots of mini first descents though... I always liked this shot from Buttahflake
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by GIR View Post
    Dude, you're in Colorado. If the descent you are talking about is in Colorado, I can almost promise you its not a first descent. ... What peak are you thinking of?
    I don't believe it's in CO, and I think he forgets where it is.

Hint, there aren't a lot of FD records for NM.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    PM Rontele, he maintains the official list of first ski descents worldwide
    ^^^This^^^

Rontele has that info. PM him.
    Dollar sign that bitch.

If its a first decent for you isn't that enough? Are you a pro? Writing a guide book?
    The Passion is in the Risk

Ask any old timers or guiding services in the area of your line. They should know. But yeah -- I wouldn't worry about it until you ski it.

First particular line on a mountain is not always the same as first descent, depends how differentiated the lines are to qualify for that. You want REAL first descents?? Head to where I used to work in Siberia (Kamchatka Peninsula), or head to Pakistan or Tajikistan or Tibet or Antarctica...plenty of first descents in all those places.

As others here have said, the only first descent that really matters is that tough line that is a first for YOU...one where you've tested your OWN boundaries. Who give a shit about some macho blowhard's "First"? Or being on a list?

The best first descent's aren't even talked about...they're between you and the mountain. Those are the good ones.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    As others here have said, the only first descent that really matters is that tough line that is a first for YOU...one where you've tested your OWN boundaries. Who give a shit about some macho blowhard's "First"? Or being on a list?

The best first descent's aren't even talked about...they're between you and the mountain. Those are the good ones.
    You might share your observations with Bill Briggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    You might share your observations with Bill Briggs.
    Bill Briggs looms HUGE at an old college of mine...from his escapades at Tuckerman's Ravine to his later fame in Wyoming. I would never call him a "blowhard".

But if you look at the early childhood history of Bill Briggs, you might find that he might very well agree with me about "testing one's own boundaries". As he certainly tested and hugely surpassed the boundaries that were originally given to him early in life.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Anyone that has been skiing for more than a year or two is going to roll their eyes at any mention of “first descent”.

The only people that actually care about that kind of stuff are the clueless gapers, internet “skiers”, and armchair mountaineers.

So that creates quite a dilemma. Getting reliable information will be nearly impossible.

Thankfully, the never ending cycle of first-year, gopro-wearing, fullface-sporting hacks is constantly changing. So you can claim that shit, and no one will be the wiser. Claim it!

And, seriously, be sure to wear a GoPro. That shit never gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Bill Briggs looms HUGE at an old college of mine...from his escapades at Tuckerman's Ravine to his later fame in Wyoming. I would never call him a "blowhard".
    In your first post neither you nor bcd^^ seem to be making any distinction.

look for a stack of yellow pages...............

Quote Originally Posted by bcd View Post
    Anyone that has been skiing for more than a year or two is going to roll their eyes at any mention of “first descent”.

The only people that actually care about that kind of stuff are the clueless gapers, internet “skiers”, and armchair mountaineers.
    Which of those mentioned above are these people?:
    http://ustre.am/:1nkOF

If a TR isn't posted on the internet it doesn't count.

Briggs counts because it was in the newspaper.
    Shameless spam: Trip reports and Gear reviews and if you want to support what I do follow me on Instagram @KyleMiller411

if your first descent choice turns out to have been played you should check out the a basin area. tons of 1d bragging rights to be had there.

No come up to AK and claim as many as you want. It's the popular tourist thing to do. Bonus points for heli and using the term Chugach.
    off your knees Louie