Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AK Mini?

AK Mini?

Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Great idea, love that place!

I wish I could, but I've got my second surgery (hysterectomy) on the 14th and won't be walking/skiing for about a month after.

I'll pass on av there are lots of other places with shitty skiing, we live in Alaska, there's no reason for it here.

You're having your uterus removed?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

The bluegrass is a big turnoff too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post

You're having your uterus removed?
    It's really been getting in the way of my balls lately.

The bluegrass is a big turnoff too.
    Come On...we can't all be 1st gen RAHOWA fans

Oh please don't even go there with that racist bullshit. White power can fuck off. I'm more of a 2tone fan.

How 'bout Hilltop for a micro-summit?? :P

The obvious choice would be Alyeska. But How about Hatcher Pass??

The cool thing about Hatcher is the choices. Anything from non-technical descents and ride-sharing a truck or snowmachine back up, to more technical ascents and great pow further up the pass. It can get crowded there weekends with all the folks from Wasilla and Palmer, but it's Hatcher-style "crowded" which means not really crowded at all compared to Alyeska....and the people are usually a pretty cool mixture,from XC nut-muffins to half-crazed escaped convict-type wildmen in tire-chained argos and everything in between. Plus the Hatcher Pass Lodge is right there for grub and brew.

The avi danger has been pretty high this past week with a lot of slab potential, but that might moderate some, and that still leaves a lot of shallower areas with decent pow that are not so prone.

By the way, they are holding a pretty decent avalanche field course in Willow Feb 25th. It's going to be taught by North American Outdoor Institute out of Palmer...contact Dorothy Adler for sign-up....not sure about the cost.

Anybody got a snowmachine or two?

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I may actually be at hatcher Pass then. My buddy wants me to come over and do the Bomber Traverse with him. I am trying to think of alternatives really don't want to deal with the snowmachines.
    off your knees Louie

I'll be in FBX on the 25th.. Go SEAWOLVES!!! Gov Cup weekend... and I got an idea of a pow stash up that way...

Hatcher would be cool, I've never really skied there...

Hatcher is great but a mini in potentially sketchy avalanche conditions seems silly. What with the booze and all. As much as I love hiking the collectives needs may be better served by a tram. But hey, this is Alaska and we are different than those lower 48 types so who knows.

anyone got a place in gird we can all crash, fuck skiing, with this rain we might as well drink

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    anyone got a place in gird we can all crash, fuck skiing, with this rain we might as well drink
    Well drinking is something I can do...well (although I've had some very good times skiing in the rain -Hood native)

The only place I've got in Girdwood is Jeremy's hostel
    I am planning on being up March ~11-17 (got to check ferry schedule)
    my leg is going to still be pretty weak so I am probably limited to cruising the groom, but we'll see,
    I will bring bc gear but I really just want to get on the snow (3+ months off a leg does some weird shit to the mind and body)

@Jed -you know I'm just joshing ya, that's what the winky was for

How bout the first weekend in April at Aly... Corn snow or powder... Bluegrass at the Sitz... It'll be warm enough to have a mini forest fair maggot campout...

Lets say April 6 and 7?

What's with you and bluegrass? Maybe you should move to kentucky. Nothing personal but if there's bluegrass I'll be at home.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Well drinking is something I can do...well (although I've had some very good times skiing in the rain -Hood native)

The only place I've got in Girdwood is Jeremy's hostel
    I am planning on being up March ~11-17 (got to check ferry schedule)
    my leg is going to still be pretty weak so I am probably limited to cruising the groom, but we'll see,
    I will bring bc gear but I really just want to get on the snow (3+ months off a leg does some weird shit to the mind and body)

@Jed -you know I'm just joshing ya, that's what the winky was for
    Jeremy's hostel? Is that the place that sort of overlooking the meadow...I can't remember the street, but it's less than half-way down the main road, off a dirt/gravel road that leads off from the left as your facing down the road? The cool place that has that great wood-fired suana and a driveway usually filled with rusty suburus??? If it IS, I used to stay there all the time!! 10/12 bucks a night!!...and cool vibes!

I might be in Gird during part of that time....if so, I'll PM you.

Ak-Pow_monkey:

April at alyeska sounds pretty do-able...can be rainy, though. But there should still be plenty of snow. I guess the suits at Alyeska haven't forecasted when they going to close yet....it's usually too damn early...but they just don't make enough in spring to pay for that huge operation....but they could STILL at least keep the tram open for skis/boards longe...since it's open anyway for tourists...keep a few patrollers on hand to keep the insurance company happy...but they never do.

Mountain biking season, I'm gonna bring a ski-bike there....fuck em...that's a "bike"!!....who says it needs wheels?

BFD - if you DO decide to head to Hatcher, PM me. i might be up there or I might wait until I go to willow.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:

What's with you and bluegrass? Maybe you should move to kentucky. Nothing personal but if there's bluegrass I'll be at home.
    Bluegrass is awesome... I mean we don't have to go to the sitz, plenty of drinking establishments in g wood

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Bluegrass is awesome... I mean we don't have to go to the sitz, plenty of drinking establishments in g wood
    I looked up that band "Hot Dish" who's going to be at arctic valley...they do this thing called "Newgrass". I haven't heard a clip of them yet, but 'newgrass', whatever the hell that is, sounds cool enough to look into further.

Just looked them up on the tube...maybe it's the bad audio or maybe it's the fake southern accent, but can't say I'm overwhelmed with emotion. The fiddle player sounds cool, though and the guy knows his way around a banjo...but they need work on the overall synergy of it all.

EDIT: Is this 'newgrass'?? It sounds sorta like 'oldgrass' to me. But the more I listen to it the more I like it.

--

Posted by DJSapp:

Hot dish has some skills good guys too... They are good party music

Word on the street is there's $1400 worth of fireworks for that party.

I'm going, hopefully we'll get some new snow for it, should be a good time, not sure how I'm gonna get down the hill though

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    Quote Originally Posted by akrdubbs View Post
    Word on the street is there's $1400 worth of fireworks for that party.
    Hot JUST word on the street... there is MORE than that....but you DIDN"T hear it from me....

Put it this way, if you live in anchorage or eagle river. look up at the star after dark....if it is clear out there WILL be a good show being put on. There will also be tubing and a bbq spread with bear included

on another note, i am in for a summit, but damnit, we ARE the biggest state in the union, lets not have mini, lets do it AK style and have it as a Grand
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

You still running the show up there buddy?

I'm pretty stoked for saturday, even if the snow sucks

Should have gone to Alyeska. Great snow and no mandolins.

Alyeska is too expensive and crowded... I rolled in at 2:30 and had plenty of powder at Alpy, oh and the party was pretty fantastic... Skiing, all you can eat food, and beer all cost less than a day at Aly! Yeah!