Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Avalanche Death Between LCC and BCC Today? 1-28-12

Anyone know anything about this? Ksl.com has it as breaking news. No further details though.

saw a rescue truck racing up bcc around noon. hope this is just the news jumping the gun.

BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON -- The death of one male in an avalanche has been confirmed by local officials.

Three men were skiing and riding on Kessler Ridge, an area that drops into Mineral Fork Canyon near Big Cottonwood Canyon. As they reached the peak of the ridge around 11:30 a.m., the deceased male descended the slope first on his snowboard, triggering the avalanche and carrying him an estimated 2400 feet down the slope, completely burying the 25 year old under about 3 feet of snow.

The other two skiers, whose conditions were reported as "fine," had not been caught in the avalanche and began to search for their friend afterward. The two unharmed males switched their avalanche transceivers on to alert rescuers of the situation. By the time rescuers and Wasatch Backcountry Rescue arrived at the scene by helicopter, the two skiers had already found the man deceased. They were flown out of the canyon.

The three had reportedly headed to Kessler Peak, prepared for back country skiing.

"They had beacons and were prepared for the back country, but the backcountry conditions right now are just extremely dangerous," said Lt. Justin Hoyal of the Unified Police.

The death marks the ninth avalanche fatality in the West this season, and experts say the risk of additional slides could remain high all winter.

The Utah Avalanche Center reminded people to check avalanche conditions before heading out to back country, and that when dangers are high, to never venture beyond professionally groomed slopes.

Utah Avalanche Center director Bruce Tremper said the group of skiers was in an area that the public was warned to avoid after last week's snowstorms.

He said the center's latest advisory noted avalanche conditions were dangerous and urged the public to steer clear of steep slopes such as those found in the Kessler Peak area where the fatality occurred.

"We put out the information and people are free to use it however they want to," Tremper said. "Most people follow the advisory pretty closely."

Experts say a weak base layer of snow due to a dry winter, packed with large grains of ice that are loosely connected, is plaguing parts of Utah, Colorado, Montana and California, and could keep avalanche risks high for the rest of the season.

Of the West's nine avalanche deaths this season, four were in Colorado, three were along the Wyoming-Montana border, and two were in Utah, according to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center. There were 25 deaths recorded last winter and 36 the season before. Written by ksl.com with contributions from the Associated Press.

Wow I never knew when I switch my beacon to search it 'alerts' rescue personnel. Who wrote this? RIP to the victim, very sad and way too young. Its so touchy this winter, I hope we'll get to ride up high at some point around here but I'm doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by tybee View Post
    It was Alecs, who died today.. Posts on here as Alx88... He was great friend and touring partner.. The kid will be missed

RIP in Alecs.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Sad day when a mag goes down

RIP 88

Be safe out there homies
    Last edited by Clownshoe; 01-28-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tybee View Post
    It was Alecs, who died today.. Posts on here as Alx88... He was great friend and touring partner.. The kid will be missed
    Fuck.
    Rip alec, that kid got after it and posted more stoke here then just about anyone. I didn't know him but many on here were friends and touring partners.

My condolences to friends and family.

Sent from my DROIDX using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

damn this sucks. RIP Alecs. vibes to friends and family

RIP Alx88, 25 is much too young to go. Condolences out to everyone who knew him.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Awful news so sad to hear, condolences do his friends and family. Stay safe out there.

RIP Alecs, damn.

RIP Alecs

Sorry to hear this. Please be careful out there.

Sorry to hear. RIP Alec. Vibes to family and friends.

Horrible news. RIP Alec.
    "Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

Shit, so sad. Sorry all who knew alx88.
    +++
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Condolences to family and friends. Too young indeed. RIP Alec. Take care out there everyone dragons are lurking.
    The Passion is in the Risk

That's terrible to hear. Only 25 that really sucks. A mag too! Vibes ++ to family and friends. To young to go down. Rip in peace

The Lone Peak video shows someone with a zest for life who got after it. Very sad news. RIP
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Rest in Peace buddy. Be careful out there mags, lets not lose anymore damnit!

Awful ... rip Alec. Vibes for his loved ones

RIP alecs. didnt know him, but he was always posting some amazing stoke!

Sad news, again. Way too young.

RIP Alx88

++++vibes++++ to friends and family
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Shit. Fuck.

R.I.P.

That sucks hard! RIP Alecs!

Was the problem layer the result of the storm that provided the snow for the first video?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.