Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Talisker SkiLink reality check video

Here's a video documenting the reality of the proposed Talisker/Canyons SkiLink tram as a transportation option. In a best case scenario, you have to pay $96, ride four chairlifts (five including the proposed SkiStink) and ski three runs up to "intermediate" in difficulty, all of which would add 75-90 minutes just to get to the base of the SkiStink.

When this video was shot, the Peak 5 chair was closed due to avalanche control on the three inches of new we had, so it delayed the process even further.

Once you survive this epic crossing, you then get to throw down for a $68 ticket at Solitude.

It is resort expansion, pure and simple.

Well done, how many gapers asked what those funny bindings are?

I am totally opposed to this but don't you have to think that their plan is to sell a Canyon / Soli ticket like the Alta-Bird for maybe +$15? To be honest I had no fucking idea The Canyons (I always say THE just to piss them off) was $98, pretty expensive for that SS

But....isn't this kind of stuff cool when it's in Europe?[/devil's advocate]
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The Wasatch is a far cry from Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    The Wasatch is a far cry from Europe.
    Fewer interlinked ski areas?

Wow, I could probably skin over from the Canyons to Solitude quicker than the lifts would get me there. And I'm in sorry ass shape this year.

The links in Europe actually go somewhere.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

This whole thing will go right up your Poppenhausen if you don't push back!

Get involed. Tell your friends.

I went to the County Council meeting last Tuesday and believe me, it's going to be a tough battle based on the body language I saw.

Wow, I could probably skin over from the Canyons to Solitude quicker than the lifts would get me there. And I'm in sorry ass shape this year.
    Just teasing....

The US needs more lifts and linked areas. But I understand this might not be the best place or particular plan to do it. But the best plan or places to do it is necessarily going to "ruin" some of our stashes, side country and regular haunts for evhar.

Great depiction of the nonsense in the video, btw.

Just teasing....

The US needs more lifts and linked areas. But I understand this might not be the best place or particular plan to do it. But the best plan or places to do it is necessarily going to "ruin" some of our stashes, side country and regular haunts for evhar.
    Watersheds in our case.

For the simpletons in one sentence:

OUR ELECTED GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS ARE BEING BOUGHT OUT BY CORPORATE (CANADIANS IN THIS CASE) INTERESTS TO LIE IN WASHINGTON TO PASS A BILL IN THE NAME OF 'TRANSPORTATION'.

If you like your government being bought out by special interest groups, then you'll love this deal.

This will be a PR nightmare for the Can on a pow day when Tombstone & Peak 5 are on hold for avy control and people who bought a combo ticket want to get over. I think I could skin up Guardsman and pick my way down to Soli faster than the Can could get me there.

OUR ELECTED GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS ARE BEING BOUGHT OUT BY CORPORATE (CANADIANS IN THIS CASE) INTERESTS TO LIE IN WASHINGTON TO PASS A BILL IN THE NAME OF 'TRANSPORTATION'.

If you like your government being bought out by special interest groups, then you'll love this deal.

^^^^

This!

Oh, and to SELL YOUR PUBLIC LAND to a FOREIGN COUNTRY/COMPANY FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF EVADING PUBLIC COMMENT.

This is precident setting, and not in a good way.

So a bit like the Keystone pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    ^^^^

This!

Oh, and to SELL YOUR PUBLIC LAND to a FOREIGN COUNTRY/COMPANY FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF EVADING PUBLIC COMMENT.

This is precident setting, and not in a good way.

No idea about Keystone, I live in Wasatch Myopia.

Okay, so, I have to admit that I have not been following this with much interest. So, my apologies for the jong questions.

Why would you pay window rates to ski at "The" Canyons? Especially since you want to ski at Solitude?

I get that you want to show the inherent douchbaggery of getting to said Solitude based on current proposed model.But for godsake, get a fricking discounted ticket from somewhere!

So, why don't they just put in a cog train like they have in Grindelwald/Wengen? Now, how sweet would it be to get around the Wasatch in one of them adorable little cog trains?

IMO then just need interconnect the whole fricking Wasatch. Not only can UT then say the have the greatest snow on Earth, but that you can lift access more of the greatest snow on earth! (JK, sort of...)
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I'm not a proponent of Skilink, but...

Why is it the people opposed are every bit as disingenuous as the people for it? I like the "30 minutes from the Canyons to BCC" then they say "7-11 to 7-11." How many people ski at the 7-11?

We took it from the Indians, now the Canadians want it. Crazy..........But really just a bad way to make a buck
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Solid investigative work, Colombo.

I don't think you can call this ski area expansion if neither resort is actually adding any skiable terrain or expanding their boundaries. And while I don't agree with the "transportation" angle SkiLink is arguing, I do support an interconnect in some fashion. I just worry Jack's "my ball, my bat, my field" attitude will cunt up future interconnects in Utah that actually have merit.

How so? Enlighten please.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I'm not a proponent of Skilink, but...

Why is it the people opposed are every bit as disingenuous as the people for it? I like the "30 minutes from the Canyons to BCC" then they say "7-11 to 7-11." How many people ski at the 7-11?
    All the jibber kids doing urban shoots, hoping to be the next big film star.

Canadian corp, attempting to buy out government, bypass regulations, enviro concerns, falsely done in the name of ___________.

Europe especially the alps cannot be compared to places like the Wasatch. The infrastructure in the Alps is immense not only the ski infrastructure but also the road and train infrastructure. We have been putting crazy cable cars up the sides of things and drilling tunnels for trains through mountains for the purpose of skiing for literally 100 years. Now there are still lifts that get put in that are totally pointless or create bottlenecks but if it is a cable car like the peak to peak in whistler it is pointless in the sense that its hourly transport rate could never justify it as a means of transport. If it is a 8er Gondola then the capacity might justify itself but not when just getting to it takes 2 hours maybe even 3 with lift lines. The Alps are also HUGE!! But as expansion continues on many resorts many are shutting down due to lower snowfall totals and bad years in general. So to a certain extent there is balance. This is a marketing gag in more ways then one. The ski resort in my home town is trying to do something similar but thank god is being constantly shot down. Their proposed lift opens up minimal terrain but cuts through a beautiful area with tons of touring possibilities. Now these areas are close to my heart because the are easy access and hold good snow for long periods of time. Because the pitch across where they could actually build the thing is so steep they would either have some sort of cat track like groomer on the way back that would be really boring and add no significant value to the resort or have to move tons and tons and tons of earth to make one. Destroying a truly beautiful area. This kind of sound like what is going on back home. Where does this add value to a resort?

@ PNWBrit what is the point of linking things when it brings no added value to the resort??

Things like the Sella Ronda in the Dolomites is a good example of where Skilinks have been put to good use. Its noting for me or anyone that spends most of their time off piste but its a cool thing for families to do together.

All this really is is a pendulum. In Austria, France and Switzerland there are more then enough examples where this has worked out. You can even ski between countries but at the end of the day most of these Skilinks have added value. On a side note only in America would they say ok buy a ticket for 96USD which by the way is INSANE!! pay an extra 15 dollars (assumed) and you can go ski over there because you took a Gondola which took you two hours to get to.

Lifts go up shit all over the place here. Thats what makes it cool. On the other hand we sit and twiddle our thumbs for months at a time on whether we are going to get any snow. The range is pretty limited i.e not that big its 160 miles long I don't know it that well but the proximity to SLC means that a certain amount of Nature should be preserved. The other question is if they cant get the peak chairs to run after 3 inches how often will SkiLink run?