Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Yep. That is the exact math that pretty much kills the deal. That and the fact that you still have the drive once you fly in, car rental, more gear = more baggage costs, etc. it pretty quickly tilts in favor of heading out west for better snow and terrain.
    Perfect! The 15 hour drive keeps the area from being overrun by flatlanders....

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    Perfect! The 15 hour drive keeps the area from being overrun by flatlanders....
    That's why you bring two drivers and a pre-paid Tim Hortons coffee card. Just keep driving ...

The 'gite' is really 5 star. Awesome accommodations in a quaint little area there. The area is so undeveloped. So much more area to ski than is currently being accessed off the highway.

According to wikipedia, "They are heavily eroded, with flat tops and steep sides. Over 25 mountains have peaks higher than 1 km; the highest is Mont Jacques-Cartier at 1,268 metres (4,160 ft)."

With stats like that, there is definitely potential. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chic-Choc_Mountains

National Geographic has it listed as one of the top 10 places to go on a ski trip: Telemark Camp
    Chic-Chocs Mountains, Quebec

Also, the snowfall is not bad, but the stumps are smaller and so it does not take 400 inches of snow to make a good glades run. The party life has got to be good - those French Canadians with their cheap wine and woodburning stoves.

Want kids? Take the wife to the 'gite' for a wine-and-cheese on a bearskin rug.
    Last edited by canwilf; 01-28-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Yeah, and the cognoscenti can drive the north shore to sept isles to climb Le Mulot and other 250m ice. Only an 11 hour drive from Quebec city, or 24 hrs from PA - assuming good road conditions or a psycho behind the wheel! And then, there's the road to labrador from Baie Comeau - just drive until te trees thin out and you can ski lines....

just drive until te trees thin out and you can ski lines....
    you ever been up that way north of manic 5? i'd like to go hang out up there for a while someday... fun?
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

probably beer and a ballet close as well

Yeah, and the cognoscenti can drive the north shore to sept isles to climb Le Mulot and other 250m ice. Only an 11 hour drive from Quebec city, or 24 hrs from PA - assuming good road conditions or a psycho behind the wheel! And then, there's the road to labrador from Baie Comeau - just drive until te trees thin out and you can ski lines....
    You've driven the Baie-Comeau-Labrador City road? Wow!!! I'd you be curious of your impression of the terrain up there or you simply went skiing at Smokey Mountain? I've never been and it never been on-radar.

As you are talking remote stuff to drive to (and I wouldn't know anyone that you drive for pleasure. Did you ever make into higher up in Northern Labrador/Quebec Torngat range?
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

The best skiing is in Vermont. More snow. Lifts. Nothing to see here.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Does anyone know where I could find good topos of the parc de la Gaspesie?

thanks

This thread started like shite (PEI, srsly?), so let's see if we can bring it back around.

I went on a week long trip with Francois's Vertigo Adventures several years ago. While I would call him one giant lung, I wouldn't call him 'cool'. He is very quiet and serious and does his job extremely well. His guiding was top notch and he read our party properly to know what we wanted and where to take us. He also puts on a serious spread.

Here he is cutting marshmallows (or maybe mushrooms, I can't remember)

We skied on and around Mt. Blanc. Slide paths and trees, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    you ever been up that way north of manic 5? i'd like to go hang out up there for a while someday... fun?
    Not yet, but it is on the list right after I ski out Chamonix.

My friend Stephan Lapierre (author of Quebec ice guide) has flown over much of the terrain and would be a good source for skiing prospects. I haven't been to the torngats - no roads.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 02-02-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    This thread started like shite (PEI, srsly?), so let's see if we can bring it back around.
    It was a response to the initial post about it being in NB. Your sarcasm meter is off, especially that I mentioned that I followed an avy course given by François in 2008.

That being said, I noticed an article in Skiing at the Newsstand yesterday about Vertigo Adventures. Nice PR for this guy who takes his stuff seriously and does an awesome job.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn
    gp: you ever been up that way north of manic 5?
    Not yet (...)I haven't been to the torngats - no roads.
    Jumpturn, I was just amazed that you knew of that BC-LC road. Some Eastern Canadians skiers don't even know about le Parc de la Gaspésie and surrounding area.

I know there isn't any road further north, but like I said...I was surprise dby the beta you had, I thought 'maybe'. I have a good skier friend and fellow grad student in my university years that had been to the Torngats for his director. The guy was a regular to Tuck in May, he would stay in the shelters and return every year for at least 10-15 years. I remember seeing him around the Geography Department at the end of summer and we would say ..."Pat, you should see these mountains...I'd love to bring my skis with me next time I go and make some turns"

dupee, there is a guide book on skiing in the area that just came out in November. It pretty well done. Its in French.
    Ski Mad World

TORNGATS. That would be an expensive trip. Dreamt of that way back when... when the Quebec snow map showed 200cm+ snowpack up there and the southern Quebec season was all but over.
    The Monts Groulx are at least accessible by road...

Sent by magical elf power using TGR Forums

Apparently the road to Labrador has been paved at some point in recent history and now you can supposedly make very good time up it without drifting gravel curves.

I have my eye on the Monts Groulx. Summer skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by mtl_ripper View Post
    let's do it!
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

Pfff, any place that's available by a mere 22 hour car ride is going to be over run for sure.

Just jump in a puddle jumper and head over to the Mealy Mountains. Best spring lines south of the Torngats!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lederer-Lab-terrain-5x2.tiff1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	113713  
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    It was a response to the initial post about it being in NB. Your sarcasm meter is off, especially that I mentioned that I followed an avy course given by François in 2008.

That being said, I noticed an article in Skiing at the Newsstand yesterday about Vertigo Adventures. Nice PR for this guy who takes his stuff seriously and does an awesome job.

Jumpturn, I was just amazed that you knew of that BC-LC road. Some Eastern Canadians skiers don't even know about le Parc de la Gaspésie and surrounding area.

edit: the 'Parq' is actually in Ontario. In the OP, I stated it was in New Brunswick. Look a little north from Buffalo, just past the Niagara Escarpment. You will see it. Road are bad there.The OP has been corrected for accuracy.

Have fun!

I have always wanted to get to the torngats also, but the access is tough. But there are a few guide outfits doing BC skiing. Might have to focus resources on this for next year. BC magazine did a article on it and sent some people up there a few years ago, claiming some FD's. My dad has a cessna and I asked him about flying up there last year. We are still talking about it. I think he may be game this summer. Artic Char and summer glacier skiing on the EC would be wild.

Torngat Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by mtl_ripper View Post
    If it is possible...I wouldn't say 'no'...however family vacation might solve summer turns issues. Unfortunately it would be cheap...last Summer trip broke the bank (as we say in French). TRs are to be posted at one point when summer is going to be relevant and not much action in the East.
    Ski Mad World

Holy crap this thread has potential... imagine a dream and make it real.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    I have always wanted to get to the torngats also, but the access is tough. But there are a few guide outfits doing BC skiing. Might have to focus resources on this for next year. BC magazine did a article on it and sent some people up there a few years ago, claiming some FD's. My dad has a cessna and I asked him about flying up there last year. We are still talking about it. I think he may be game this summer. Artic Char and summer glacier skiing on the EC would be wild.

Torngat Stoke

TC, I have been all over hotwire, priceline, orbitz, etc. and I cannot find tickets for that flight? Got the inside scoop?! I'm in if there is room!!! F*ck yeah!
    The Passion is in the Risk

Wikipedia info on Torngats. Wow. The research begins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torngat_Mountains
    The Passion is in the Risk

Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 05-08-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Sign me up. I've had a Nain, Labrador shirt forever. Would like to be wearing it for reals

Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    Two beautiful mountain ranges with a valley between them. The fry looks suspect but the rest is FKNA!