Need some camping/backpacking gear

The lady and I will be new to it, need to slowly piece together gear so we can do some overnight hikes when it warms up. Advice is welcome and recommendations/selling your gear is wanted too. I have cash now to get some gear going

***EDIT***
    I have for trade for gear or partial trade
    I have a pair of axial 120 composites with only some cosmetic wear (not very much, just where the heel clicks in mostly). Bought them used and never mounted them. Paid $75 so thats what I would value into the trade
    An XL Saga The Shut Out in black in 10/10 condition. Bought before the crazy sale, but will value at sale price with shipping at $70
    Have a pair of FT high fives 29 or 29.5 cant remember off the top of my head that I may consider trading. Not molded yet and used very little.
    Pictures upon request
    Last edited by kingsskier; 01-27-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1323.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	108695

I have a Dana T4000 pack. Size Large. Tags are gone, it was used once. You can see specs here: http://danadesign.com/dana_catalog.pdf

$50 plus shipping

Keep an eye out on steep and cheap. They have had some sleeping bags and pads up at good prices. Make sure to buy quality gear. The better companies have lifetime warranties which comes in handy down the road.

I don't have one for sale, but an MSR Whisperlite (+/- International) is a no-brainer on the gear list.

Smile Sleeping bag

I have a mountain Hardwear Banshee SL zero degree waterproof bag I am looking to sell. I used it a total of three nights, no crabs ! $250.
    Also one of you buckeyes need a set of B2 bandits don't you? I have a pair of 170s for cheap, great condition. I am just down the road too.

thermarest and msr mini-works filter still available.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ers?highlight=
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

I could part with my REI tent for the right price. It's very solid but I need cash so...

http://www.rei.com/product/825483/re...nt-special-buy

Damn TGR is coming through with this (as expected), a lot of pms and posts. Let me do some research on all of this gear and get back to you all.

A lot of pms asked for the wifey and my height weight ability so here it is:
    I am 6'8" 210
    She is tiny at 5'4" 110
    Both in great shape and she is deceptively strong for her size, love nature and hiking camping
    We have not done any overnight hikes and being in the midwest, no hikes over 1000 ft elevation change (I mountain bike Moab every year so I know what to expect from a biking prospective). So we are new to backpacking, but not new to the elements involved per say.
    Thanks

I have a few osprey packs and really like them. I'm currently waiting on a kestrel 48 pack to arrive at my house. Aside from here on gear swap, backcountry.com, and amazon usually have some good deals.

@ Kingsskier-

At 6’ 8” you are going to need a 7’ sleeping bag (obviously) and those big bags can get quite heavy. I would recommend a Western Mountaineering bag, super light and it will last forever but it is going to cost you though. You do not need anything warmer than a 20 degree bag (if you buy WM) in the spring, summer & fall so that should help cutting down the weight.

As far as backpacks are concerned, in my opinion, ULA has the lightest & most durable packs on the market and they are not too expensive. My ULA Circuit pack was $200, weighs 35oz and has a 4200 cu inches capacity.

Shelter is going to be tricky being that you are 6’ 8” but Big Agnes might be what you are looking for. The Big Agnes Fly Creek UL line of tents are by far the lightest out there (besides a tarp). I use the Fly Creek UL 1 and I use it as a fast fly set up (no tent body) and it weighs 22oz.

For warmth, check out the Western Mountaineering Flash hooded puffy jacket, Patagonia Capilene 2 long underwear, Dri Ducks rain gear and the Neo Air sleeping pad. All super light, durable and they will make life much more comfortable on trail.

Don’t bother buying any type of stove and heavy ass gas containers, just buy a can of cat food, a one hole paper punch and denatured alcohol. (see picture for example)

I hope this helps, and everything that I have recommended for you, I have personally used while hiking over a 1000 miles on the PCT and the Long Trail in VT. These are just my opinions and what worked for me so I thought I would pass it along but remember- HYOH! (hike your own hike) Happy Trails...
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

as far as advice goes- i would consider that dana designs pack sierraskier posted up there. i dont know that specific model but DD packs are great IMO.

At your height, nevermind on the tent. You would need an XL length, or sleep diagonal.

Beware the recommendations from the ultralight backpacking crowd. Like any activity they'll make recommendations that take the idea of weight saving to the N-th. Better to pack an extra pound or two and have your lady's first experience be good, and go the UL route should you guys get into it and start going longer and longer.

i.e. thing long and hard about recommendations like 'buy a quilt, leave your insulating layer at home, it doubles as an insulating layer (oh yeah, and it requires optional sleeves'. You're doing overnight/long weekend trips, I don't know that the extra few ounces you save are going to add an incremental level of enjoyment. YMMV, as always.

At your height you may want to ping Feathered Friends out of Seattle and see what a custom length bag will cost you. I think Western Mountaineering will do custom as well but don't quote me on that.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

I do not consider myself as UL with a 13lb base weight but I can leave town with 5 days worth of food and 2L of water and still be under 30lbs. Then easily put in 20+ miles days, so most of the time I don’t even need 5 days worth of food, more like 3 days because you can get to most resupplies on the PCT in 60-80 miles.

Here is my gear list and as you can see, I have many redundant insulating layers while keeping my base weight under 15lbs.

1. ULA-Circuit backpack: 35oz

2. Big Agnes FlyCreek UL1: 36oz
    A. fast fly set up: 22oz

3. Western Mountaineering Versalite 10degree: 36oz (PCT)

4. Compacter bag stuffsac: 2oz

5. ULA bag pack cover: 2.4oz

6. Patagonia Capoline 2: 8oz
    top & bottom

7. Wool beanie: 2oz

8. Gloves: 1oz

9. Headlamp: 1oz

10. Cell phone: 5oz

11. Weed kit: 4oz

12. GG groundsheet: 1.4oz

13. Maps, trail guide: 4oz (PCT)

14. Camera: 5oz

15. Cookset: 7oz

16. Personal kit (toilet paper, credit cards, etc..) 4oz

17. Headnet: 1oz

18. Sunglasses: 2oz

19. Sun screen, deet: 3oz

20. Ipod: 1oz

21. Puffy jacket w/pillowcase: 11oz

22. Rain Jacket: 7oz - Rainpants: 4oz

23. Sleeping pad: 10oz

24. 2L Smartwater bottle x2: 4oz
    full: 2lbs 5oz

25. Platypus 2L: 2oz
    full: 4lbs 14oz

26. Food stuffsac: 3oz

27. Hat: 2oz

28. Fuel container w/duct tape: 2oz

Total basweight: 13lb 1oz (PCT)
    209.8 oz
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Just fyi Nunatek does custom work also - I ordered a bag from them and had it customized with fabric and fill to my specs and was very satisfied. Was as easy as a few e-mails back and forth to the owner of the company.

I am 6'8" 210 [/QUOTE]

Holy Sasquatch Batman!
    Don't ask.... Don't tele