Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Eh....no need to really justify the hate. Hollow dick riding is however something I truly love to do, although it comes a close second to skipoling or the jackie chanchez. as someone who worked for a ski company for many years and helped design a few models, it's pretty easy to look at dimensions, read about the intended flex, and ski on one of their older models to know that you are going to like a ski. It's fucking skiing not too much involved other than sliding around on snow.

Of course this is a place for companies, reps, whomever to come and show off their new shit. That's why losers like us come on this board, because we like new shit and learning about old shit that we might buy. I've been using TGR since 2006 as a marketing tool and had to switch to a new user because I left the company. Shit, I gave the Jones brothers lots of marketing dollars and am a full proponent of social interaction and transparency from companies. I'd rather have people like the DPS crew, Moment, and joe company be chatting with us, usually they listen or atleast acknowledge the feedback.

If my stoke seems like I am pawning for something or hoping that....oooh please please Moment sponsor me and see how awesome and rad I am than , well so be it, that's why opinions are like douchebags, usually it's easy to smell the really bad one. I don't know you and this does seem like a sick ski. Cheer up dude. We finally have snow in the Wasatch, Jackson is getting hit all this week, and looks like we have another storm brewing for next week.

To chime in here, one-run impression from SIA was that it was a fun slalom-y ski but it took a second to get used to on hardpack. It didn't feel like it liked being driven, but a neutral stance let it swing nicely underneath you. This was apparently not the same feedback everyone else was giving but I felt like moving the pressure forward away from the camber/contact underfoot really made it want to drop out from underneath me. It's wide enough that I'm sure it would perform adequately in powder.

Quote Originally Posted by newe english View Post
    mtskier-
    as far as people trying to sell shit, that's exactly what this thread is all about, it was posted by a moment rep, he (i'm guessing) gets paid to sell moment skis. your sig is a link to an online ski shop that sells moment skis. (which, by the way, kudos for posting camber profiles, i dig your site)

i have skied the praxis concept, i thought they looked like an interesting ski and showed my roommate, who bought a pair. they're kinda fun, but not really for me. not a fan of camber, nor the softness, nor the lack of effective rocker. a stiff reverse camber ski trumps this sort of design, in my opinion. and opinion makes up pretty much all of what is tossed around on tgr. your going to call out someone for having a negative opinion on something?

my sarcastic comment about being totally sold was directed at lunchmob a couple posts up. this is what i'm talking about.

again sorry for being a negative nancy, but the world isn't all rainbows and unicorns. sometimes i just feel like calling it how i see it.
    My apologies for starting a thread about a new ski with next to zero information around anywhere at the moment. I'll be sure to promptly approach you next time to attain your sound approval before sharing something about which the majority of skiers out there are excited to hear (it's no different than other posters with ties to other companies doing the exact same thing... that is what this forum is all about). Fuck... I'll house you if you're ever near Denver for a beer and a discussion on skis... even set you up on the Deathwish for a test drive. And to set the record straight, I don't get paid by Moment and get nothing in return if people go buy a pair and end up being super stoked in the end. Seeing fellow skiers having a blast on the product is more than enough repayment for supporting my friends over the past five years. If I ever talked questionably highly about a ski in the past, it's been justified, and I will let my prejudiced opinion ride with the Deathwish as well.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by newe english View Post
    i haven't eaten in two weeks, my jaw is wired shut and i woke up hungover, i am sorry for being a meany. but i kinda feel like there's been a lot of hollow dick riding around here lately, and felt like saying something about it.

again sorry for being a negative nancy, but the world isn't all rainbows and unicorns. sometimes i just feel like calling it how i see it.
    So they took a different angle at acheiving a similar result and maybe there are some other differences in performance that will result. What's the problem with that? I guess that maybe some people kinda get bent about people touting innovation. No problem here, if you want to continue sailing the Pinta and Santa Maria, more power to you. All these variations can lead to information overload at times and sometimes maybe it doesn't end up in a huge leap in performance. Then again, the type of thought that goes into just making another soft cambered ski yields zero progression. I prefer the thought of creating something different and seeing where it leads. Maybe it goes nowhere. Maybe it's the next Spatula. Maybe you'll feel less negative when they pull out the catheter.

WTF is a hollow dick, anyway?

SkiersRealm's review of the Deathwish:

http://www.skiersrealm.com/connect/g...fficial-review

2013 Moment Deathwish Ski:
    What is Moment Skis bringing to the table for the 2013 Ski Season? A new all-mountain destroyer with a brand new technology, thats what. The 2013 Moment Deathwish and it’s Dirty Mustache Rocker profile were definitely one of the bigger stories in the SkiersRealm trip to SIA this year in Denver. These days with all the new ski manufacturers and technologies popping up on the radar it can be hard to distinguish what’s legit and what’s filler. After demoing the new Deathwish at the On Snow Demo in Snow Basin I can assure you this new ski/technology is anything but filler. It’s the cheese on top of the nachos. (anyone who gets that reference, contact us because you rock.)

Specs:
    Lengths offered: 164, 174, 184, 190cm
    Flex: 7/10
    Profile: Dirty Mustache Rocker (Rocker Tip, Triple Camber (camber/flat/camber), Rocker Tail)
    Dimensions: 138/112/129 (all lengths)

Overall how’d it ski?
    Overall I was really impressed with the new 2013 Moment Deathwish, which in a way is what I expected. Everything else I’ve been on from Moment has always impressed me so I wouldn’t expect this ski to be any different. However, I was a little skeptical of the Dirty Mustache Rocker and how much it actually would effect how they skied. These days ski manufacturers are really striving to set themselves apart from their competitors and so it’s important to remember that with all the new technologies being introduced, many of them are still experimental even though they might get put into production. This makes the demo even more important to somebody who’s shopping for a new pair of skis. You don’t want to be the person who goes out and buys into the hype of a new ski only to find out that it really doesn’t do anything, or worse, skis like shit. But this definitely was not the case with Moment’s Dirty Mustache Rocker, which I should clarify consists of 4 different profile zones. You have flat underfoot, then you have rocker zones on each side of this which essentially are under your bindings, next you have more camber on the outsides of those rocker zones which are right in front of your bindings, and finally you have another rocker zone at the tip and tail. So at first glance it’s easy to think there’s just too much going on or it’s just a novelty. But after riding it, I’m sold that it is truly an active part of the performance of the ski. The 2013 Moment Deathwish felt very stable right from the beginning and gave me a feeling of confidence that I could turn the ski loose without having to worry about consequences. It took me approx. 1.5 runs to get used to the ski, which in the grand scheme of things is very minor. Once I had their turn radius and swing weight dialed it was game over and I was able to rip around as I please. And rip they did, on anything from fresh groomers, to the 4-6″ of new that fell, to the chopped up icy crud that was hanging around. A good way to describe the Moment Deathwish? How about bi-polar, serious one minute and super playful the next. But it’s all up to how the skier so maybe I’m the bi-polar one. Either way I can honestly and easily say that I was impressed.

How did it Perform?
    In the pow…well in what pow was there, which was 4-6″ of new snow, the Moment Deathwhish skied flawlessly. I can’t say they were amazing in deep snow because I didn’t have any to demo them in. However, if I were purchasing a pair and I knew they performed as well as they did in everything else and I just hadn’t had a chance to ski them in deep pow yet, that wouldn’t stop me from buying them. Personally I think powder is more forgiving and therefore you can have an inferior ski which can still hold its own as a powder ski. These skis were anything but inferior, they were confident and always in control, but quick on the draw if you ever wanted to pop, slash, or butter an unsuspecting feature. In the spots where the exposure to sun or wind had effected the snow quality, the Moment Deathwish kept its composure and carried you though. It really was a secure feeling ski. On the groomers it was super easy to carve both quick and short turns as well as long and drawn out turns. Both gave the feeling of being locked in or “on rails” as you progressed through the turn. Easy to initiate and smooth to release. I feel like I should add some sort of disclaimer that neither SkiersRealm nor I myself are on the Moment payroll because this review is so heavily weighted towards the positive. But thats just how it was. There were no quirks, no little things to get used to, nothing but get on them and go. They skied very well, period.

How was the ski’s agility?
    Overall the agility of the Moment Deathwish was great, I ended up taking the skis through some pretty thick trees and brush at decent speeds and never felt like I was being hindered by the ski at all. It turned and changed directions as fast as I could, so the only hinderance was me. The skis felt very well balanced and once I had the mechanics of the ski figured out after that first ride up the lifts I had no hesitation about taking them into tight spaces with speed. Part of what made them so easy to turn quickly was that they went in and out of turns so easily. I can’t remember one turn where they hooked up, got caught, or delayed my ability to turn. That also goes for all around the mountain in general. I never experienced being caught off guard or catching an edge while cruising the mountain. Now that’s not to say it isn’t possible, only that I think if the skier knows what their doing, then this ski is going to perform very well for them.

How was the stability?
    I would classify the Moment Deathwish as a super stable ski. That’s something I noticed right from the start, at both high and low speeds the ski never felt squirrelly at all. For me, the stability of a ski is very important because if your ski doesn’t give you a sense of confidence at high speeds then you’re not going to be able to push yourself or even enjoy the ride. I wouldn’t say the Deathwish as a bulldozer, it didn’t plow through everything in it’s path, but it also wasn’t a ping pong ball bouncing off everything it came into contact with. I’d put it in the middle somewhere, it was a good balance between the two. Sturdy enough to let the ski take over if you wanted but yet not stubborn in that you couldn’t play around with it. Very little tip and tail chatter, which sometimes isn’t the case with rockered skis, the flex was a good stiffness that I would say was just a touch towards the stiff side of the spectrum.

Cons/Dislikes/Problems/Suggestions?
    I honestly can’t think of anything that I would like to see changed in the 2013 Moment Deathwish. The ski performed great and never left me wanting more or thinking it needed to be tweaked in some way. If anything I’d like to see the ski in a 120-125mm underfoot model to see just how well it performs on the groomers but with a big pow ski’s dimensions.

Recommendation:
    Without a doubt I would recommend the Moment Deathwish. Especially to somebody who’s looking to buy a ski they can use everyday of the year without ever feeling like they could be enjoying the snow more if they had a better ski. After my demo of the Deathwish I would absolutely feel comfortable taking these skis up to the mountain in any kind of snow/weather. Their ability to perform all over the mountain also gives me the feeling that they would be a great ski for some back/slack country touring.

This is all nice, but what I really want to know is if these skis Charles Bronson approved?
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Any idea of the weight?
    184cm = 2145 grams / 4.73 lbs per ski.

Triple Camber? Is that like the same as the DPS Spoon idea?
    when you really, really need to slap someone, just do it, and then yell, "Mosquito!"

nope, almost the opposite. spoon is reverse in every direction, dirty moustache has 3 different kinds of camber, profile looks (roughly) like this \/\/\/\/ get it?

Deathwish review + rocker pics

Here's my take after 7 days on the Deathwish, plus a number of decambered rocker pics.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...ment-deathwish

Quote Originally Posted by JFE24 View Post
    Here's my take after 7 days on the Deathwish, plus a number of decambered rocker pics.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...ment-deathwish
    Thanks for the review, the decambered rocker pics made it easy to understand the rocker profile. Definitely on the "to demo" list.

Hey, where's the mount point on these things?
    Edit, the info I need might be in this thread or on one of the other 2 reviews posted but I read through all of that a little drunk the other night, can't remember, and don't feel like reading all of it again right now.
    Edit: reply from moment says -5
    Last edited by Hypnotoad; 09-19-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Sold my 184cm DPS Wailer 112RPs (too short feeling/squirrelly in crud, great in untracked deep pow but I have wider skis for that) and today was fondling a pair of the Moment Deathwish in a 184cm at the Glacier Ski shop.....as I was getting my 187cm Hojis mounted up.

These Deathwishes (triple camber) are the antithesis of the Hoji (no camber).....quiver balance? Hmmm?

Worried too much overlap with my 182cm PB&J (129/101/121) vs 184cm Deathwish (138/112/129)? Maybe go Bibby or Belafonte instead?

Considering owning a 184cm pair for sidecountry, also, anyone know why they are called the Deathwish?

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-19-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    WTF is a hollow dick, anyway?
    Penises in a way hollow. They are composed of a myriad of tubes (corpora cavernosa and corpora spongiosa) that are filled or engorged (depending how on how happy you are) with blood, excluding the urethra. If the latter is filled with blood you should see a physician asap unless you have been dipping it during that time of the month.

Should your penis have tip rocker or reverse reverse, well, the circus is in town next week.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by JFE24 View Post
    184cm = 2145 grams / 4.73 lbs per ski.
    Huh, website says:

184cm = 1940 grams / 4.25 lbs per ski.
    190cm = 2040 grams / 4.5 lbs per ski.

As a one ski quiver ski, the Deathwish intrigues me. Especially in light of how little they weigh.

The Deathwish are by far the most versatile ski I've skied. They carve, ski pow, light, playful, easy to whip around, stable underfoot and just plain FUN. Definitely a one ski quiver candidate for me.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Definitely a one ski quiver candidate for me.
    Haha! that is funny coming from the guy who has every moment ski ever made and every video game console ever made.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

my two cents

I had the opportunity to get on the 13/14 deathwish (same ski different top sheet) at the WWWSRA ski demo at Mt Bachelor yesterday. I picked that ski not because my shop carries Moment but because I was intrigued by this dirty mustache rocker that Moment advertises is a one ski game changer. My first turns on the cat tracks displayed a ski with a very playful personality slashing and slarving all over making small little turns on the traverse over to some east side runs. Once I got the chance to really charge on this ski I was a little hesitant about dropping at speed do to the three stage rocker camber profile. Taking a few mellow turns this ski definitely inspires you to open it up and let it rip. The deathwish transferred edge to edge like a dream, more like a 100mm ski as opposed to a 112mm. I felt completely stable making super G turns without any worries of a ski tracking away from the other or any unwanted hookiness; it just held an edge and railed. This ski can be thrown sideways in the middle of a turn or switch at high speeds and maintain that same stability and control even skiing switch. I didn’t get an opportunity to take this in either the park or powder but I think this ski will excel at both exceptionally well. The deathwish is definitely a one ski quiver game changer.

Does anyone have Input or a feeling of how the Deathwish would fair as a telemark ski

Quote Originally Posted by Rads63 View Post
    Does anyone have Input or a feeling of how the Deathwish would fair as a telemark ski
    where are you going to be doing the majority of your skiing?

[QUOTE=Swirlwich;3921200]where are you going to be doing the majority of your skiing?[/QUOTE

Out west in the sierra’s for the most part.

it will crush. after demoing it i went and got myself hooked up with a pair. couldnt ask for a better quiver. youll dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swirlwich View Post
    it will crush. after demoing it i went and got myself hooked up with a pair. couldnt ask for a better quiver. youll dig it.
    Cool Sounds Good to me. Mine should be here by the end of the week.

My advise to you is to start drinking heavily.