Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ^^I can see why they would have a problem with that. Reason I ask is because I have a Mystery Ranch pack and supposedly easy to refill but I haven't had a chance to mess with it.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

The ABS references the IATA (whatever that is) guidelines that specifically allow ABS packs with cylinder attached--with the permission of the airline.
    BTW has anyone had problems carrying on an avy shovel?

Hi, I am flying to Jackson with Delta from Europe on Friday and up to now nobody has been able to give me a good answer with regards to my ABS. I would not take the canister, but am now not even sure if I can take the ABS Backpack without it. (been in touch with TSA, Delta dangerous good, etc) If it was a simple point to point flight I would just try. But I have to go through immigration (in Atlanta) and then change again and don't really want to miss my connection nor arrive without my luggage... so thought I just jump in this forum...
    I am almost at a point of just leaving the whole ABS at home.. which doesnt really makes sense either, but at least hasslefree.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    BTW has anyone had problems carrying on an avy shovel?
    As carry on, yes, Aspen TSA took my buddies Blade and let him keep the handle? I've traveled tons with it checked, but they once took my wax out of a checked bag. Said it was flammable?
    TSA is just a total crap shoot. If the agent's constipated, your fucked!

You should be fine with just the pack in your checked luggage, I had no problems until this flight. You should be able to find a loaner canister in Jackson.......

If I took it without the canister, better as checked luggage or carry on?

Ok... did you just pack it and say nothing or advise the airline beforehand?

Checked baggage, I would not take the chance of dealing with the US TSA bozo's with a pack. The inteligence level of the majority of TSA is that of a 4th grader........

I just pack it with my ski's & other avi gear....

Quote Originally Posted by skiinggirl View Post
    Hi, I am flying to Jackson with Delta from Europe on Friday and up to now nobody has been able to give me a good answer with regards to my ABS. I would not take the canister, but am now not even sure if I can take the ABS Backpack without it. (been in touch with TSA, Delta dangerous good, etc) If it was a simple point to point flight I would just try. But I have to go through immigration (in Atlanta) and then change again and don't really want to miss my connection nor arrive without my luggage... so thought I just jump in this forum...
    I am almost at a point of just leaving the whole ABS at home.. which doesnt really makes sense either, but at least hasslefree.
    i don't see how flying with the pack w/o the cannister would be a problem but i can understand your apprehension when it comes to TSA. i'd carry it on because then if there are any issues at least you are there to explain and defend yourself. print any relevant info from the TSA website and take it along to show that you are compliant.

This is why I've been shipping my gear and traveling light.
    On average, FedEx ground (insured) has been cheaper than checking big heavy bags and super reliable with delivery and the stuff gets there in one piece.

I've dealt with the problem quite a lot since I travel a shit ton and always bring an ABS pack along with me. My rec, go to the ABS site, print out the documents explaining what the canister is and the rules that allows it. When you check in, open your bag, pull out the canister and documents and tell the check in lady what you have and if necessary, you'd like to be pre-screened through security so they don't take your very expensive life saving device.

The more I travel with it the more I realize how dumb TSA and airline customer service is to their own rules. But this technique hasn't let me down in the past dozen flights.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    This is why I've been shipping my gear and traveling light.
    On average, FedEx ground (insured) has been cheaper than checking big heavy bags and super reliable with delivery and the stuff gets there in one piece.
    Are you shipping it with a filled canister at that point? Then you'd also save some hassle and some $. Just open your UPS package and go. Hmmn...

My understanding is that it's not a problem as long as you as shipping it ground.
    And for clarification, I've used FedEx ground, not UPS...

Get a snowpulse instead. THe canister can be easily discharged and refilled for 10 bucks at any scuba/paintball shop. Also it doesn't have the ignition cord which i think TSA no likey. No one i know with this pack has had an issue traveling with it. Plus its better than the ABS because it has a wrap around style that covers your head. I ordered one from a german website here: http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/pro...hop/prod/20268 and it was right around half the price that one is here in the states. I think I paid 700 including shipping from europe. They are 1250 plus tax anywhere in the states...

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Get a snowpulse instead. THe canister can be easily discharged and refilled for 10 bucks at any scuba/paintball shop. Also it doesn't have the ignition cord which i think TSA no likey. No one i know with this pack has had an issue traveling with it.
    TSA doesn't have a problem with the ignition handle in my experience. My first experience with TSA and avy bags was with a Snowpulse and I almost got 5 years in jail and a 160k fine after getting mine taken at IAD airport. It's the giant metal, bomb-looking canisters they have a problem with.

Again, since I've taken the initiative I described above, I haven't had the canister taken nor have been fucked with since.

Quote Originally Posted by Helicrackjnky View Post
    Yes it did, the Rep/desk Agent told me United Express does not allow ABS packs in checked luggage or for carry on, he felt bad since he explained to me that he would like to have the luxury of an ABS pack for his sled.
    There is no such thing as "United Express" regulations regarding checked luggage or carry-ons. "United Express" is simply a marketing convenience that has no reference to the particular airline upon which you were ticketed. Your situation was not with that particular airline, which ironically was not even United Airlines, but with TSA.
    I know the relavent page you will also note that on that same page their is an allowance for small compressed gas cartridges for life vest, so why shouldn't the abs pack cartridge/cannister fall under this same class?
    For the same reason that a gallon of water in a bottle is prohibited, but 3 oz. containers or less are allowed. Ease of identification of the substance involved and the potential size of a security threat and the danger it poses.
    As I stated previously, I out this up as a head's up for other people traveling, until yesterday I had not had a problem, as a further note I avoid flying United as much as possible they lost me as a customer years ago.
    I am surprised that you have not had a problem to date. Even in countries such as Europe that prioritize security threats in a different manner, travelling with an ABS pack cannister is fairly well known as difficult and a crapshoot. I.E.-gendarmes in France.
    I am a more than experienced traveler having pretty much traveled full time since the late 80's.
    Okay. Good luck.

that's a great price! did you have to pay euro taxes on that? how quick was shipping? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Get a snowpulse instead. THe canister can be easily discharged and refilled for 10 bucks at any scuba/paintball shop. Also it doesn't have the ignition cord which i think TSA no likey. No one i know with this pack has had an issue traveling with it. Plus its better than the ABS because it has a wrap around style that covers your head. I ordered one from a german website here: http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/pro...hop/prod/20268 and it was right around half the price that one is here in the states. I think I paid 700 including shipping from europe. They are 1250 plus tax anywhere in the states...
    F-R-O-double-G

Alkasquawlik - I didn't have any trouble with my ABS until my last flight and I did the exact same thing as you... all paperwork printed, pulled out at the desk, explained, etc. I also taped the paperwork to the bottle, so that if TSA went through my bags, they wouldn't freak out.

Bottle was gone when I arrived - I found a small paper form in my bag that had some chicken scratches on it and something about hazmat.

Then I got some serious sounding paperwork about 4 weeks later from TSA - that they'd opened a case against me. I had to explain the situation and send it in and do a phone interview before they closed the case.

It's still a crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop~Ghost View Post
    Alkasquawlik - I didn't have any trouble with my ABS until my last flight and I did the exact same thing as you... all paperwork printed, pulled out at the desk, explained, etc. I also taped the paperwork to the bottle, so that if TSA went through my bags, they wouldn't freak out.

Bottle was gone when I arrived - I found a small paper form in my bag that had some chicken scratches on it and something about hazmat.

Then I got some serious sounding paperwork about 4 weeks later from TSA - that they'd opened a case against me. I had to explain the situation and send it in and do a phone interview before they closed the case.

It's still a crap shoot.
    That's what freaks me out. You can do everything right and it's still up to some TSA or airline employee with no clue and an exaggerated sense of power to screw it up. Hopefully my BCA pack will turn out to be easier, but who knows. I'll find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    That's what freaks me out. You can do everything right and it's still up to some TSA or airline employee with no clue and an exaggerated sense of power to screw it up. Hopefully my BCA pack will turn out to be easier, but who knows. I'll find out soon enough.
    Putting aside the bigger arguments of the need for, legality of, or merit of TSA and current baggage regulations.

IMHO I think it's asking a bit much to expect the finer points of differing avy airbag design to be at the forefront of these guys minds and as such it's hardly surprising there's some confusion and differing Interpretation, usually resulting in them getting pulled from folks. The system TSA drones work is by deliberate design resistant to individual initiative or flexibility, their default position if in doubt really does have to be "no".
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Are you shipping it with a filled canister at that point? Then you'd also save some hassle and some $. Just open your UPS package and go. Hmmn...
    Shipping a full canister is a major shitstorm I have been told and is heavily regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by West Vail Academy View Post
    We have loaners available here at WVA, stop by the office. Our canisters emit Ronnie James Dio rather than compressed air or nitrogen.
    Will you refill the ones EVI is handing out at the top of the boot pack with HOT air?

Mine was strangely empty and made sort of a cowbell sound when I tapped it with my ice axe...

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    I've dealt with the problem quite a lot since I travel a shit ton and always bring an ABS pack along with me. My rec, go to the ABS site, print out the documents explaining what the canister is and the rules that allows it. When you check in, open your bag, pull out the canister and documents and tell the check in lady what you have and if necessary, you'd like to be pre-screened through security so they don't take your very expensive life saving device.
    This. The printouts from the website are really important - I'm currently in Japan and had a few hassles getting from tokyo to sapporo and back. Mainly due to the language barrier but we got there in the end & the documents really helped.

I've never had an issue leaving Europe or Australia, but once in NZ we got a call on the Intercom to come to the desk - they weren't very happy with us.

So far we have flown - Europe - Australia - NZ - Australia - Europe - Australia - Japan with them and overall the issues have been minor.

I also agree that there is zero issue with the handle, it's all about the scary looking canister.

This is not entirely relevant to the OP, but for those flying in Canada, Air Canada permits airbags on domestic flights. This seems to be the case regardless of whether the airbag is ABS or any other variety.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...che_equipement

I just travelled from Toronto to Vancouver without issue.

I can't find information on the WestJet site specific to avalanche packs but their policy regarding scuba tanks requires them to be checked and drained. This would be fine for any of the refillable cartridges but not so good for ABS.