Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

ABS pack Canister Travel warning Vail/EGE-United Airlines

Last year after hearing about a few friends that had been killed or caught in avies it hit too close to home, so I decided to buck up & by an ABS pack. I have traveled with it pretty extensively on various airlines with no problem until today. This afternoon the TSA called me back from the gate & told me I could not check my ABS canister or pack, it was against the rules, even when I pointed out the codes on the box the canister comes in. The representive from United the went on to say his rules were the same. When I asked them how I was able to check it on my way there he explained they must of not checked my bag. Total BS since I was headed to Jackson but could not get there due to the airport being closed & had checked my bags at both O'Hare & DIA. I knew there was a reason I never fly United.......... Had to rent a car & drive to DIA,just a little extra F U on this fkd trip.

OR

you could maybe learn where yer friends went wrong, scale back yer choices a bit, save a lot of bucks (and weight in yer pack) by not buying the bag, avoid travel hassles, and the world becomes a much simpler place.

man how i love this shit.

next?

rog

We have loaners available here at WVA, stop by the office. Our canisters emit Ronnie James Dio rather than compressed air or nitrogen.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    you could maybe learn where yer friends went wrong, scale back yer choices a bit, save a lot of bucks (and weight in yer pack) by not buying the bag, avoid travel hassles, and the world becomes a much simpler place.

next?

rog
    scale back yer choices??? too bad yer mom didn't have any male children to carry on yer sername.

to the op, research and make sure you are right, then get lots of free airfare.

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

You know something rog. I bite my tongue 99 percent of the time. But you increasingly say some dumb shit. Especially when someone survived a slide like you. Try finding a woman who will put up with your shit permanently throw some kids who want you to come home into the mix and then tell me 7 lbs, which is probably less then your fat ego you carry around is too much to carry for the added price of safety. For the op call united, their customer service isn't completely daft.

still here bitch^^^^^^^^^^^^next? that was to powdork

fuck, when's this flight getting in?

rog

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    You know something rog. I bite my tongue 99 percent of the time. But you increasingly say some dumb shit. Especially when someone survived a slide like you. Try finding a woman who will put up with your shit permanently throw some kids who want you to come home into the mix and then tell me 7 lbs, which is probably less then your fat ego you carry around is too much to carry for the added price of safety. For the op call united, their customer service isn't completely daft.
    well thanx fer coming out of the closet. 7lbs? holy shit! wonder how any dynafiddlers actually carry that xtra heft?

next?

rog

OP, do your research and then get some major airline credit from United. Stick it to them HARD.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    grabbing my seat early in this thread....
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    scale back yer choices??? too bad yer mom didn't have any male children to carry on yer sername.

to the op, research and make sure you are right, then get lots of free airfare.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    OP, do your research and then get some major airline credit from United. Stick it to them HARD.
    Why would any airline give him any money when the TSA wouldn't let it through?

Is bitching the new welfare?

Was your canister filled?
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Why would any airline give him any money when the TSA wouldn't let it through?

Is bitching the new welfare?
    the distinction between TSA and the airline is fuzzy in the original post. Who was it that didn't check his bags the first time and let him get all the way there with the pack? TSA or United?
    Bitching = the new welfare. whatever
    Seems like bringing an injustice to light has long been the first part of getting it made right.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Oops. I just released my gas out of my canister and checked it hard. Not safe. Those bacon wrapped hot dogs grilled on the hill today caused a class 5. Gotta run. Where's my shovel?

zing! and the winner by unanimous decision is....

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

I have travelled with my pack extensivly and it is a total crap shoot. Sometimes they dont see it, other times they do and dont do a thing. I went to Chile this summer, had the canister stuffed in my ski bag, had a TSA Not is there that they checked it and they left the canister. Go Figure.
    I have never heard of someone not letting you on becuase of the pack itself.
    Good luck with customer service. I dont think they wil do anything for you but you never know.

I've had TSA take a full canister out of my checked luggage and then had to deal with a TSA case against me for allegedly not disclosing that I was checking it. It wasn't a big deal, just a formal letter explaining what actually happened.

The safe bet is either showing them the empty container, or leaving it at home and trying to rent one when you arrive at your destination.

My takeaway from this thread is that Roger is still a wanker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post

next?

rog
    Given that you've got this so under control, I assume you're also saving the cost and weight of beacon, shovel and probe as well?
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

I was posting this as a head's up to folks on the board, I have not had a problem since I keep the canister in the box it came in which has the international code the canister comply's with, I really can care less what icelanticwanker has to say on any subject, stupid is as stupid does, look forward to reading about you in the Obits....... Would you sail across the ocean with out a life vest on your boat? Oh thats right you got them psychic powers & can predict a slide 100% of the time.......
    Be safe out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Helicrackjnky View Post
    I was posting this as a head's up to folks on the board, I have not had a problem since I keep the canister in the box it came in which has the international code the canister comply's with
    just so i understand, you had previously not had a problem, until this recent one, right?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Never had a problem until this flight, had one question it at Calgary last week, but they read the box & then a supervisor came over & said no problem. I have traveled through DIA,ORD,YYC,ASE,ANC,LAX in the past year all with out a problem. I checked at at DIA last night & it went right through.

IATA guidelines regarding Hazardous Goods have nothing to do with the situation.

The confusion stems from TSA interpretations of examination of baggage. As an analogy, shoes are not classified as a hazardous good, but TSA mandates inspection of them in x-ray machines to deem whether or not they may pose a specific security threat.

The problem with an ABS pack is that it contains the compressed gas cylinder. Unless the security agent can examine the interior of an empty gas cylinder, then that agent cannot determine whether there are prohibited substances (i.e.-bomb agents) inside the cylinder.

Here is a link to the relevant page: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...essed_gas.shtm

The prevention of your baggage being carried on the aircraft had nothing to do with United Airlines.

Yes it did, the Rep/desk Agent told me United Express does not allow ABS packs in checked luggage or for carry on, he felt bad since he explained to me that he would like to have the luxury of an ABS pack for his sled. I know the relavent page you will also note that on that same page their is an allowance for small compressed gas cartridges for life vest, so why shouldn't the abs pack cartridge/cannister fall under this same class?
    As I stated previously, I out this up as a head's up for other people traveling, until yesterday I had not had a problem, as a further note I avoid flying United as much as possible they lost me as a customer years ago. I am a more than experienced traveler having pretty much traveled full time since the late 80's.

Was your canister filled?
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Yes it was, fortunately I have not had to discharge it. Had they not made an issue about the pack I would have left the canister behind. As I stated to date I have not had an issue until yesterday. The ABS canister has to be sent in to be refilled it is a sealed canister.