Drilled mounting holes too deep

So I was drilling a new pair of skis for inserts, and the depth stop collar on my drill bit slipped. Two holes are now through the core and into the bases. Neither hole is all the way through the base, but one of them has a very small dimple visible on the bottom of the ski.

So I am thinking I should fill them up with something, then re-drill back down to 9.5mm. What should I fill them with? P-tex to start, since the bases are so thin now? Then wood glue + sawdust? Just epoxy the whole way? Throw them out and start over?

Mount as usual,don´t fill up with anything other than glue. The dimple can either be hammered down into submission or chiseled off, Don't worry.

Brain fart: Was this using the 6.5mm insert drill bit or a regular 3.5/4.1. If the latter, don´t worry at all, but you might want to fill a portion of the hole with a dab of JB weld if it´s drilled for inserts already.

^^^ what he said. maybe drip a little epoxy or JB down into the bottom of the hole, but don't fill it completely or re-drill.

Wouldn't worry about it all, what are the chances you'll hit a rock in one of those little thin spots? Almost zero.

Dripping a bit of epoxy into the bottom of the holes would be an easy way to support the base if you want to do something with them, as already suggested.

Yeah, this is for Binding Freedom inserts, so 6.5mm bit, 9.5mm deep. And I need to put epoxy in them anyways, per the insert instructions.

So I'll just stick with epoxy, since I gotta put it in there anyways. It should keep it waterproof in the unlikely event I take a rock hit there, or if they get stone ground too many times.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Was this using the 6.5mm insert drill bit or a regular 3.5/4.1.

Just speaking from experience; If you drill too deeply with the insert bit, don´t tap it all the way down. Measure with a caliper set so you don´t tap any deeper than 9.5mm. If you do, that will cause the insert to sit too deep in the ski, making screw length issues a bitch - too short, they won´t provide that great a holding platform - look to the insert screw length thread, should be lots of good info in there for you.

Ideally, you could just do as you planned, and dab a good layer of epoxy in there with something to hold it in place for curing, and then tap for inserts afterwards. If you´re concerned, you can helicoil it, but that´s a good deal of an investment for something you´ll probably not need (if the insert holes are perfectly tapped and you don´t get any spinners, that is - I had four spinners on my first insert mount, three on my second). That said, the toolset from Jondrum´s site is very good to keep handy for whenever you might fuck up.

Whatever you do, don´t drill the holes out any more using JB weld or similar! creates a world of shit regarding ovalizing the holes and whatnot. Steer clear!

Good luck!

agreed - just put some extra epoxy in those holes. It will be tricky but not impossible to do this all in one step while you're installing the inserts. If you use too little, the epoxy may drain out of where you want it on the threads into the bottom of the holes.

It would be much easier to partially fill the holes with epoxy, let it cure, then redrill the holes to depth.

yes, good advice here. definately don't redrill your holes.
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7