Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Norrona Lofoten bibs are still the best design I can find, with no close contenders. Colors are a let down. But I haven't found anything better in design and durability.

The removable bib is a simple and very breathable stretchy mesh, not gortex that makes the stomach sweat. There are two beacon-suitable pockets on the bib. The thigh pockets are huge and well placed for access. They are tough and fit like work pants. They have long side zips that are easy to access. The tough material at the ankle wraps all way round the ankle, not just on the inside. The bum pocket is big enough for a folded map.
    Life is not lift served.

Trew Trewth bibs. Love mine.

I blew the crotch out of my norrona bibs a couple times.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I blew the crotch out of my norrona bibs a couple times.
    Change your diet?

Norrona are definitely cut for slim people. I had a light weight flexible pair and they blew out in the crotch. But my Lofoten pair live on. Though the crotch is pretty thin from constant friction and the taping came off after 200 days.

Those threwth bibs would be much better of they had a venting zipper down the front of the bib that connected with the fly. And if the zips went lower on the leg and did not start under the armpit. Most of the side vent on them is under your jacket. They just look plain sweaty around the torso, front and back. No way I could ski tour in them in a mild snow climate. But probably great for patrol and ski resort use?

It blows me away how hard it is to find good bib pants with pockets and zips in the right spot.
    Life is not lift served.

I have a pair of now-defunct Westcomb Phantom bib that I could let go. Stretchy soft-shell upper that zips off entirely with two large pockets, full length side zips, quad pocket, eVent for the pants. Probably other stuff; can't recall offhand. Black, size M/L. They fit me @ 5'11", 160#. Not steezy but not Euro fit either. I think they're great; I just have too many ski clothes.

PM if interested. Wouldn't normally post FS spam in a thread like this, but people seem to have trouble finding something that fits the above description.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I have a pair of now-defunct Westcomb Chief bib for sale. Soft-shell, zip-off upper, full length side zips, eVent fabric on the pants. Black, size M/L. They fit me @ 5'11", 160#. Not steezy but not Euro fit either. I think they're great; I just have too many ski clothes.

PM if interested. Wouldn't normally post FS spam in a thread like this, but people seem to have trouble finding something that fits the above description.
    I think you are describing the Revenent. The Chief didn't have the zip off upper.

We have two pairs of Revenants. They have been in for warranty with Westcomb because the zip off bib zipper broke on both. For three years they've been in warranty. They keep saying they'll send them back. Then they don't. I'm rather peeved at Westcomb right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

^^Phantom. I must have updated while you were replying.

But good to know re: warranty
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Phantom. I must have updated while you were replying.

But good to know re: warranty
    Phantom doesn't have a suitable beacon pocket, does it?

I can check in a few days when I'm home, but I'm quite sure I carried my beacon (mammut pulse) in the thigh pocket.

photos

Too bad eddie bauer discontinued the bibs. Neoshell, cheap and lifetime warranty. They would have been my first try when my strafe bibs go.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I think you are describing the Revenent. The Chief didn't have the zip off upper.

We have two pairs of Revenants. They have been in for warranty with Westcomb because the zip off bib zipper broke on both. For three years they've been in warranty. They keep saying they'll send them back. Then they don't. I'm rather peeved at Westcomb right now.
    These just showed up on my doorstep 2 day shipping from Westcomb. Thank you someone for working that out for me
    I do like my Westcomb stuff. Kickass performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Mammut Alvier HS Pants... $$$
    Well these are nice but the leg zips don't even come up to crotch level meaning they are not the best vents.

I am going to be super picky about pants that cost as much as ski boots.

I probably mentioned these earlier in the thread (as I've had them for awhile), so there's likely a shortcoming somewhere (other than price).
    Oh, and no removable bib so that's a deal breaker.
    But I love these: http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx...l=Alpha-SV-Bib

Spendy, but I got them cheap.

Edit: Here's my post from three years ago:

i just picked up the arcteryx alpha sv bib.
    have only put one WROD day on it but it seems like money.

light (for a bib): 21oz
    super crampon protection patches (keprotec or some such).
    removeable knee pads (nice on kneel downs, warm on lift).
    zipper from sternum through mid back for bc dumperdooskis.
    minimalistic suspender straps.
    4 napolean pockets.
    Last edited by pfluffenmeister; 12-27-2016 at 02:43 PM.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

FOUND SOME

Wow

And who would have thought it would have been VOLKL???

Yea... Volkl... on special in Whistler for $279 CDN ($210) off MSRP $750 CDN.

Light as fuck!!!
    25K/45K wp/br
    90% length side zips
    Two waist pockets
    Zip off soft shell bib (with suspender quick disconnects)
    Cuffs

This years version is here (add rear pocket, button bib, minus suspenders which you can add), but good luck finding anyone selling it:
    http://performancewear.volkl.com/us/...ier-pants.html

Excess in Blackcomb has more in black/blue/grey both men and women (other half actually found them first, she bought a pair)