Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I need bibs... shell pants bibs... HELP?

I'm having trouble finding a replacement for my Westcomb Revenant Bibs

Lil help?

Requirements:

eVent or equally breathable fabric
    light/durable
    Zip off bib + pants functional without bib
    Full or 3/4 side zips
    Built in gaitors
    At least one zip front pocket on the pants portion where the pocket is interior, not an overlay like many thigh pockets are, and big enough to comfortably hold a Pulse beacon.
    Last edited by Summit; 12-30-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Any reason you don't want another pair of the Revenant? (I love mine.) If you mention what you don't like about them, it might help.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Why on earth are you keeping your beacon in your pants pocket?

I usually just hold mine in my hand.

Quick access.

my stoic bombshells are pretty bombtastic

Norrana or orage Gibson, both fit bill and have great features and longer cut.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

^The Orages have just a thigh zip. The Noronna looks good, but not sure about the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Any reason you don't want another pair of the Revenant? (I love mine.) If you mention what you don't like about them, it might help.
    Love the Revs, almost perfect, except the zipper on the zip off bib broke after <10 zips and they don't have a pocket as described. Also, I'm awkwardly between sizes (mediums fit perfectly except they bind on my thighs).

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Why on earth are you keeping your beacon in your pants pocket?
    Pocket, as described, and then clipping the leash to a belt loop is a safe place to put it that is quicker access.

It also doesn't require removing and replacing the harness every layer change.

Additionally, it keeps the easily snaggable harness from being exposed as the outermost when skinning in just a baselayer.

Don't lie, if you spend any time in the backcountry, you've at some point made the beacon not be "just under the top layer" whether from tossing on an overlayer for a break, or in a snowpit, or skinning on a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by ace.. View Post
    my stoic bombshells are pretty bombtastic
    Didn't think those were full zip?
    Last edited by Summit; 10-22-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Don't lie, if you spend any time in the backcountry, you've at some point made the beacon not be "just under the top layer" whether from tossing on an overlayer for a break, or in a snowpit, or skinning on a hot day.
    Any layer I put over my beacon has a full length zipper. Always. I've never personally seen or skied with anyone that puts it in a pocket. Just seems very odd to me. I would not consider any time saved as worth the risk of not using the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Any layer I put over my beacon has a full length zipper. Always. I've never personally seen or skied with anyone that puts it in a pocket. Just seems very odd to me. I would not consider any time saved as worth the risk of not using the harness.
    I also do the pocket thing, a few people I go out with do too, I've seen guides doing it, OR specifically markets "beacon pocket" as a feature of their pants, etc. For me it's not time but comfort, I sweat enough as it is, I don't need something else to help me stay wet.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

When presented with a violation of convention, we should question it!

First, my point about having the harness over your baselayer and nothing exposed while skinning on a warm day: the beacon is not protected and would be easily snagged.

I guarantee I can get my beacon out of my pocket and searching at least a good 10-15 seconds or more before you dig under your backpack straps, unzip two layers, pull out your harness, unclip the beacon from the harness, and activate search mode. Contest for beer!

World renowned beacon expert and avalanche researcher Manuel Genswein advocated the practice to patrol directors, mountain guides, search and rescue leaders, forecasters, industry professionals, and avalanche educators. Why? Because his research couldn't find incidents where pants with a pocket as described had the pants removed and the victim living with a beacon still on.

I see guides use it. I see rescuers use it. The industry sells it. I teach it.

Why? Because it makes perfect logical sense, the evidence supports the practice, and is truly a better alternative!

ETA: Here is OR's blurb http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/bl...article/a/2409
    Last edited by Summit; 01-21-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Is there any reason beacons can't be as small as phones?

Size is the biggest reason I haven't put the beacon in my pocket yet -otherwise i'd be all over it

My understanding is that there are size constraints with antenna layout in a 3 antenna beacon. The only beacon that is a truly small form factor is the Pieps freeride, but you can hardly call that anything beyond a body locator.

The outerwear company I work for, Mountain Equipment is coming out with a couple bibs with transceiver pockets with internal d-rings to clip your beacon into them.

Sent from my Desire HD using TGR Forums

I like the idea of putting the beacon in a thigh pocket, with the exception of having the extra bulk between the shell and my leg. For those of us who lift weights, don't run religiously, and consume more burgers/pizza and beer then we should, that area can get pretty tight, especially since most pants are not that baggy up there. Having an inch plus thick chunk of plastic pushed into my IT band is not my idea of comfort.

I'd having a well reinforced exterior cargo style pocket there going to be too much of a risk for having the beacon ripped off?

For those of you who keep your beacon in one of these pockets, are you comfortable having the pocket closed by a zipper? IME, zippers have a nasty habit of finding themselves open. Would you preffer a combination of a zipper and a snap or button (BDU style) flap closure for this pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Is there any reason beacons can't be as small as phones?

Size is the biggest reason I haven't put the beacon in my pocket yet -otherwise i'd be all over it
    Seen the new ortovox? Thing looks tiny...stolen from tetonat.

At least one zip front pocket on the pats portion where the pocket is fully interior, not an overlay like many thigh pockets are. (This is important if keeping your beacon in the pocket).
    I bitched in the previous bib thread about week a go, that norronas pockets not being 100% watertight. Well, they aint 100%,as the stichings are not taped. But the amount of water let in a pouring rain
    is very small. Only is a issue if you have some delicate papers in your pockets..
    I have had my beacon in front pocket for the last 2 seasons and things have been nice and dandy.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Outa Ware Couloir pant fit the bill? Not sure if the front pockets are exactly what you are looking for, but I bet they would customize them. Ditto with Freeride systems. I haven't seen the Couloir pant, but the Patrol vest Outa Ware does is well built.
    http://outaware.com/Ski%20Patrol%20S...20Uniforms.htm
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

I'm having trouble finding a replacement for my Westcomb Revenant Bibs

Lil help?

Requirements:

eVent or equally breathable fabric
    light/durable
    Zip off bib + pants functional without bib
    Full side zips
    Built in gaitors
    At least one zip front pocket on the pats portion where the pocket is fully interior, not an overlay like many thigh pockets are. (This is important if keeping your beacon in the pocket).
    Norrøna lofoten pants:

Check (well, proshell not event...)
    Durable, but heavy (new 2011/12 version has multiple reinforcements and weighs in at 1050grams...)
    check, very nice breathable and stretchy bib upper that can be zipped off for spring touring
    check
    check
    check

This is my beacon/thigh-pocket setup:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0901.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	797.1 KB 
ID:	108355

^I'm not sure I'm cool with beacon in a bellows thigh pocket, even with the backup leash. Bellows pockets can snag and wear easily and things naturally slide out any hole in the bottom. Internal pocket means you have to either: blow the zipper, squeeze the beacon up and out, and pop the leash, or slash the flush outer and hanging inner fabrics, have the beacon slide outside the pants, and blow the leash.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Marmot Alpinist Pant or maybe the Helly Hansen Odin Mountain Mk3.

I know we are getting a little off topic but I think its a good discussion. I think it would be ok to have in a bib chest pocket that is secured but I would not be putting my beacon in my thigh pocket. Reason being if I was to get in an avalanche I don't want someone probing my thigh I would prefer they are doing the probing near my airway. "Insert joke there" Me personally I always wear my Pieps as intended with the provided harness.

Call me Aaron Im sewing some custom pants out of NeoShell. Want some? pm, email whatever. These are the shizzle

They are going to be good enough for an expedition headed to Alaska in April i.e. PIka Glacier, Little Switzerland, Trolls, Dragon Spine, Swiss Peaks and more, they should work for your purposes

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ski-ride-pants
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I love my trew bibs. They are super durable and fit me well. Highly suggest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by adria33 View Post
    I ride alone so I don't get held back by dead weights and dead beats. It's not always like that, but I destroy most skiers on the pistes.

^I'm not sure I'm cool with beacon in a bellows thigh pocket, even with the backup leash. Bellows pockets can snag and wear easily and things naturally slide out any hole in the bottom.
    Each to his own.
    But to tear the pocket away would require that kind of forces that you very,very probable would loose (or rip apart) your leg in the process...
    >2 years of skiing with the pants (total aprx.200 days) in various conditions (including norwedgian birch bushes...) and zero snags & zero wear on the pockets.0.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

^I'm not sure I'm cool with beacon in a bellows thigh pocket, even with the backup leash. Bellows pockets can snag and wear easily and things naturally slide out any hole in the bottom. Internal pocket means you have to either: blow the zipper, squeeze the beacon up and out, and pop the leash, or slash the flush outer and hanging inner fabrics, have the beacon slide outside the pants, and blow the leash.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Marmot Alpinist Pant or maybe the Helly Hansen Odin Mountain Mk3.
    Or just have the (probably weaker) interior fabric of the pocket tear from strain. I don't see the bellows pocket, if it is made of durable material, being the fail point.

^I guess when I mentioned the propensity for a bellows to snag and rip, I was referring to Manuel's contention that bellows stick out and are prone to damage when getting dragged through rocks, trees, other beatings that slides provide.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_faster View Post
    I know we are getting a little off topic but I think its a good discussion. I think it would be ok to have in a bib chest pocket that is secured but I would not be putting my beacon in my thigh pocket. Reason being if I was to get in an avalanche I don't want someone probing my thigh I would prefer they are doing the probing near my airway. "Insert joke there" Me personally I always wear my Pieps as intended with the provided harness.
    When I think about where I wear my harness, having a beacon in the pocket would only put it 6-12" distal from where it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    Call me Aaron Im sewing some custom pants out of NeoShell. Want some? pm, email whatever. These are the shizzle

They are going to be good enough for an expedition headed to Alaska in April i.e. PIka Glacier, Little Switzerland, Trolls, Dragon Spine, Swiss Peaks and more, they should work for your purposes

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ski-ride-pants
    Oh Mike, you are definitely getting a call! BTW Your repair on my skins is still holding up 100%!

Pieps DSP in one of the little pockets positioned at mid torso on the AT Theta bibs. Better than a harness: secure, easy access, beacon goes on my body the moment I get dressed for skiing. Don't have to have a slightly annoying harness wrapped around me. The unit fits in the pocket perfectly. But I wish I had a cargo thigh pocket for other stuff.
    Life is not lift served.