Avalung pack gets ripped off in 2010 slide, victim killed.

Reading back on the 2010 Dry Gulch incident, I came upon this this sentence that I missed the first time I read it:

"Subject 1 was buried with their head down-slope and on their side. The Avalung pack had been stripped from the shoulders but was still attached at the waist belt and the mouth piece was no longer available to use."

Is this a possible failure mode for the Avalung packs? Is the Avalung standalone also vulnerable to this?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by coreshot-tourettes View Post
    ]

Is this a possible failure mode for the Avalung packs? Is the Avalung standalone also vulnerable to this?

Thoughts?
    You're asking whether a flimsy tube strapped to the outside of your jacket is liable to be ripped off by the massive and complex forces generated by avalanches, is that right?

I've always been under the impression that packs, skis, helmets, legs, trees, clothes, and life can pretty easily be stripped off a skier in an avalanche.

Have you ever tried digging in avy debris? It can be like concrete.

I saw a video where a guy lost his backpack and jacket in a rag-doll fall... so I would say that it's totally reasonable that an avalanche could do at least that much.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

This is why I slap people who think it's acceptable to keep their beacon in their backpack.

I guess what I was asking is "is the Avalung sling less vulnerable than the pack to being ripped off in an avy?"

Guess the sling is less volume / sleeker than a backpack so the avalanche has less to "grip on", for lack of a better description. Just like a lot of things out there, lots of variables to consider, no guarantees.

A friend of mine wears one; guess you can't wear it inside the jacket and have the tube peek out the top somehow?

Next question; wonder if anyone has ever modified their jacket to wear it on the inside and have the tube come out from just about pec level. If BD gets into jackets, this might be something that they can look at.

/\ Never wear your sling style Avilung under a jacket. It needs to pull in "fresh" air from the snowpack at the chest and exhaust it down at your side. A jacket can prevent this. You need separation between inlet/outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by n0t1ap View Post
    Guess the sling is less volume / sleeker than a backpack so the avalanche has less to "grip on
    This is my thinking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoDuk View Post
    /\ Never wear your sling style Avilung under a jacket. It needs to pull in "fresh" air from the snowpack at the chest and exhaust it down at your side. A jacket can prevent this. You need separation between inlet/outlet.
    Ah got it / makes sense.

I wear a BD Outlaw w/Avalung so no fussing with a sling. Good info.

this event confirmed what I was thinking, better to have a avalung vest or a sling. Backbacks rip off. Personal events have confirmed that backpack staps will rip when given enough force. Best to mitigate avalanche danger but in a pinch as long as you survive the trauma of the slide depend on the avalung to buy some time.

CAT

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    This is why I slap people who think it's acceptable to keep their beacon in their backpack.
    ^^^^ THIS!!!

As to the avalung being ripped off....of course. There are no guarantees....they stop at the parking lot. Hell, they stop when you get out of bed!!!!

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."