Dynafit Radical "Service Bulletin" - Anti-rotation pin replacement

I got my new "anti-rotation" pins in the other day for my Radical STs and took some photos during the install process. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the problem/fix with the Radical heels, so hopefully this will help clear things up for at least some of you.

Here is the pin in question: Top = Old / Bottom = New

You get to it by removing the side release cap

And spring and inner spring "cup"

The stuff comes out in this order

Then lift the housing slowly to access the pin (skier's right), watch that it doesn't pop out. Here is the pin at rest, notice how far it sticks out...

You'll pull the old pin (leave the spring IN) and insert the new pin, skinny end first

This is the replacement pin "at rest." Notice that it doesn't stick out nearly as far (because it's nested in the the spring). They've basicly reduced the pins spring pressure holding it in place, and also given it a "break away/fuse" groove. Either the pin will get pressed back into the hole, or self distruct if the heel is rotated in the wrong direction from climbing mode (with force)

Now put everything back together, and go skiing.

It's a quick and easy job. If you're looking for replacement pins, I got them using this e-mail contact. Send 'em a nice e-mail with your address and they will hook you up so you can do the job at home.

Nice pics!.. and a way better tutorial than the grainy black and white print up that comes with the replacement pins from Dynafit.
    This only applies to early season shipments. The Radicals coming to shops now have the new pins installed already. I still check just to be sure though.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

I did mine, it wasn't too hard or frustrating so don't be scared. Just start the big screw back in gently with your fingers.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    ...Just start the big screw back in gently with your fingers.
    Yeah, one thing I did notice (which not stoked about) was the lip of the "big screw" rubs against the body of the heel piece, actually gouging the plastic. Makes you think your cross-threading and makes going above DIN 6 a bit of a challenge at least the first few times. But to reiterate, be very careful re-installing the side release cap to not cross-thread it.

Did mine. A bit more complex than anticipated, but hey..... The tough part was to find a shop with the replacement pins.

Can anyone attest to the functionality of the new pins?

The recall was initiated because the original pin could potentially break the housing of the binding if the heel piece was rotated counter clockwise. The replacement pins will break away if enough force is applied when the heal piece is rotated counter clockwise. Long story short, issuing the recall is just some preventive maintenance for Dynafit.

Right, thanks. Are the new pins working? Can anyone attest to this?

If by working you mean preventing the heel piece from rotating then yes, they work. If you mean preventing the heel piece from blowing up... I didn't have trouble before, and haven't since. Maybe someone else has had them long enough and has had enough bad luck to shear one off, but not me.

Thanks for the reply. I guess no news is good news, the other websites haven't reported any problems with the new pins either.

Just replaced my pins ... easy, except no other site, including Dynafit, tells you which way the new pins go into the casing. Thanks TGR, for explaining it so clearly. Kinda got to that part and thought "huh? Uh oh."