Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    FWIW I certainly don't need any more stiffness. I'm more curious as to which liner is lower volume given my shell fit was quite snug.
    I was borderline between the 27 & 28 shells & went with the smaller 27.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    FWIW I certainly don't need any more stiffness. I'm more curious as to which liner is lower volume given my shell fit was quite snug.
    I was borderline between the 27 & 28 shells & went with the smaller 27.
    My fitter at Intution also told me he's been getting feedback that the ProTongue is too stiff/hard for peoples' shins - not necessarily too stiff, but too stiff/hard for their shin bone. YMMV, of course.

I'm in the same boat as you, went with the 27, COULD have gone with the 28 but I prefer a snugger fit. I have a 28 pro tour in my 27s. After punching, they fit decent and are warm.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    yeah the stock liners don't feel very warm. Assuming the liners wear out before the shells, are Power Wraps the Intuition liner of choice?
    well for me with a high instep the stock liner & neither of the tongued liners worked at all, modifying the stock liner by cutting that piece off the instep worked pretty good and the PW's work great altho they do limit ROM a bit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Has anyone noticed the Vulcan boot sole resting on the cramp on attachment on newer radical toe pieces? Mine do, though it probably is a unique function of my bsl (304 / 27.5) and the fact that I used an ST toe base plate to shim my toe in combination with a radical speed heel.

In any case, I've just noticed it and considering removing the cramp on piece. Tough to tell how much pressure is being created there.

these spacers do ask for removal. given the boots came with a bag of spare ones i wonder, would the heel-piece stud break where the carbed shaft meets the lower shell? there is some sort of severe force occurring from forward lean, so i'd rather ask those for advice having tinkered already too much...

thx u.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unbenannt.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	153696

helpful&friendly. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Has anyone noticed the Vulcan boot sole resting on the cramp on attachment on newer radical toe pieces? Mine do, though it probably is a unique function of my bsl (304 / 27.5) and the fact that I used an ST toe base plate to shim my toe in combination with a radical speed heel.

In any case, I've just noticed it and considering removing the cramp on piece. Tough to tell how much pressure is being created there.
    For the record, I did remove the crampon attachment as I felt the pressure point there while probably mild was enough to create an imprint on the boot sole and thus concerning. A reminder to watch the boot soles no matter what bindings you are mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    For the record, I did remove the crampon attachment as I felt the pressure point there while probably mild was enough to create an imprint on the boot sole and thus concerning. A reminder to watch the boot soles no matter what bindings you are mounting.
    Just grind a tad off the sole at the contact point with the crampon attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by asylstrasse View Post
    these spacers do ask for removal. given the boots came with a bag of spare ones i wonder, would the heel-piece stud break where the carbed shaft meets the lower shell? there is some sort of severe force occurring from forward lean, so i'd rather ask those for advice having tinkered already too much...

thx u.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unbenannt.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	153696
    The "spare" ones they give you are actually larger and stop the boot sooner in its forward flex. I don't think they are spare so much as another option to make the boot feel even stiffer!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Just grind a tad off the sole at the contact point with the crampon attachment.
    Turns out I am going to have to do this anyway. The center attachments still hits if I try to tour flat. Again I will blame this on the shim not the boot.

What alpine boots fit and ski similar to Vulcans?

I like my touring boots better than my alpines. (which is a good problem to have I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    The "spare" ones they give you are actually larger and stop the boot sooner in its forward flex. I don't think they are spare so much as another option to make the boot feel even stiffer!
    thats ^^^ some interesting info

I was trying to tell a buddy the Vulcan is THE baddest ass stiffest AT boot on the market but he would not believe me, we even had a pair in his size to try on but buddy refused to even try them on and said "no way, its only got 3 buckles"

I am very happy with both my alpine and AT boots but after instaling a set of Rads on some new lotus 120's I have been mostly on the mercury's this season
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-28-2014 at 07:00 PM.

I dig 'em. Needed to punch for my bunion, which quadrants did not need so that illustrates a difference in the lasts.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Super stoked on my experience w the Vulcan this year. No huge adjustment switching back and forth between kr2 pros that I ski in bounds. Reading some reviews before I purchased I was to worried about forward lean as I generally like a lot. However it's really not that bad compared to most modern alpine boots. Id venture to say it feels like more than the current generation of Lange RS/RX 130s I tried on. Less but not too much less than kr2s in most forward position.

Stiffness may feel like as much as the kr2 in the living room but still not quite as stiff actually skiing to set the record straight. But they are very stiff an powerful and certainly fall into what feels like a real 130 range (as opposed to other AT 130s that ski like 90s).

True bad ass AT climbers, ski like true ripping hard shells on the down. What's so bad about that?

Add me to the list of unbearable instep pain (followed by total numbness in about 5 minutes) with the stock liners.

I tried the Intuitions tongue liners from my TLT5s (that were originally Mobe's) and viola the pain is gone... seems like I loss a little stiffness though.

Tried to carve up the Vulcan liners to see if that works but getting those tongues to sit right is almost impossible. Maybe just one more operation...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I use Zipfits and they are great! A little more weight but negligible give the comfort and heel hold

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Add me to the list of unbearable instep pain (followed by total numbness in about 5 minutes) with the stock liners.

I tried the Intuitions tongue liners from my TLT5s (that were originally Mobe's) and viola the pain is gone... seems like I loss a little stiffness though.

Tried to carve up the Vulcan liners to see if that works but getting those tongues to sit right is almost impossible. Maybe just one more operation...
    WTF did you try cuz the fix is on about page 31 of this thread, cut that black piece off th top of theinstep ?

I made some lace loops which I sewed to the liner that help keep the tongue in the liner but the real fix is to just get another liner

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    WTF did you try cuz the fix is on about page 31 of this thread, cut that black piece off th top of theinstep ?

I made some lace loops which I sewed to the liner that help keep the tongue in the liner but the real fix is to just get another liner
    The black elastic is gone and
    Cutting liner material out of the tongue itself over the 1st met head. Still have instep pain and arch pain too. Might have to ditch the super feet orange for something like the blue less arch support but less volume

Or a new liner... Intuition Pro Tongue? Intuition Pro Tour? Or Power Wrap?

You must have a high arch? I tried 2 intuition liners with a tongue but the tongue still bothers my 1st met, I use red soles & PW's which work great ... love the shell

^The red superfeet?

https://secure.yoursole.com/ca/mens/...ftec-response/

I got flat feet so the soles^^ have lots of arch support, they come in several thicknesses, I usually sand some of the foam from the bottom of the toe area to give more toe room while still taking up a lot of volume

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Power Wrap?
    Do it - I even fit PW+ in mine. The range of motion back is still there, it is just progressive and the liner breaks in better for that direction. No tongues ever needed and stiff as MF -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

I felt like they were too stiff with powerwraps. I swapped them for the tour liners.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer