Fat-ypus I-Rock 186 Review

I acquired the I-Rock to supplement my D-Senders on deep pow days, and for touring capability.

I’m 5’8’’ 150lbs
    Ski aggressively and have competed in a big mountain competition

186cm Fat-ypus I-Rock
    15-126-148
    For rocker view, see previous post
    Mounted with Marker Duke Touring Bindings ski center

My review of this incredible ski after three days at Aspen Snowmass and one day at Crystal:

Groomed- My first few runs on this were on groomed terrain, which the I-Rock handled admirably. This ski exudes stability and speed, at least with the segment that remains in contact with the snow. They key to groomers was remaining centered and foreword on the ski. With the correct stance, the ski rails. I only got in trouble if I tried backseat driver. Keep your form up and the ski will follow.
    Ice- Unfortunately, Crystal had several aspects that resembled solid ice. The I-Rock remained solid and stable on the slope, with chattering tips and tails. Not the ski for these conditions, but I was able manage well.
    Crust- Riding the northwest, I was fortunate to obtain plenty of chances to experiment on this snow type. While not as stable as the D-Sender, the I-Rock rides like a champ. The tips remain up above the snow, allowing me to decide whatever speed and turning style I preferred. The I-Rock made this snow type more enjoyable.
    Heavy Powder- Let’s face the facts: the Pacific Northwest’s atmospheric patterns don’t predictably bless us with light snow. That’s why a fat ski like the I-Rock becomes a necessity, because even if the snow isn’t ideal, you can still ski like you’re riding Utah.
    Crud- No complaints in this department. Similarly to groomers most especially, keep the balanced stable stance over the middle of the ski, and prepare for Mach 5.
    Powder- That’s why I bought the ski, and no I don’t regret the decision in the slightest. Zoom zoom in the pow pow!
    In the Ayer- My bindings are the legendary heavyweights Dukes, yet these skis still retain a very high level of pop, which keeps all of the little hits fun. I’ve only sent around 15feet on these thus far, and they’ve remained highly stable.
    Speed- This ski performs well at all speeds, but truly comes alive in straight lines and fast turns. Just go for it on these skis: the I-Rocks will remain dependable.
    Technical- Given the rocker shape, these skis handle technical sections with ease, and easily accomplish the small precise turns. Not their forte, but the I-Rock handles well.
    Freestyle- Fun, fun switch ski. Their girth necessitates a rather wide stance for switch skiing, but the slightly different technique becomes well worth the trade off. These are a fun ride for backwards. Additionally butters are quite easy with the I-Rock, even with Dukes. Spread Eagles and 180s have never been more fun.

Here’s a short video on a few runs at Crystal with outlined conditions, while I was testing out the ski. Unfortunately the GoPro died a couple hours before lunch, but here are a few shots.

[/QUOTE]

In short, the I-Rock is a turnier, slightly less stable, more powder oriented D-Sender. In otherwords kickass to the max. Such a enjoyable pair of boards. I recommend them entirely.
    While corny, I rock with I-Rocks has become a proven fact!

With the forecasted upcoming NW storm, hopefully these babies will be of use. Pray for snow!
    Last edited by skibum93; 01-12-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.