Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stoic Bombshell Insulated Jacket

Picked one of these up this year. Have only 10 days in it with only 2 of them being super cold (at the top of the tram at Snowbird with heavy winds) but holy hot damn... this thing is exactly as described... fucking bombshell. I've been rocking a t-shirt under it as going with much more will cause you to sweat your balls off once you start any motion. Super light weight with the fill only being ~100 grams or something. I don't typically write many reviews but if you are on the fence about a jacket, this is your best option.

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-bom...:referralID=NA

If you are spending more to get OR, Arc'teryx, Patagonia you are seriously providing a diservice to yourself.

Good to hear. Just picked one up and it's been cozy around town, still waiting to get it on the mountain. Sounds like I'll have to dial back on the underlayers.

Hearing this makes me really happy I just went with the shell. Even with that, I've been fine on days that got into the mid-high 20s just using a wool shirt. My back got cold on the lift, but I was absolutely fine otherwise.

I've sadly gotten more use out of it as a shell mountain biking, but that proved its breath-ability to me. It completely shut out any wind or moisture and let me layer as I normally would for a mid-to-late fall ride and be comfortable in down the the mid-high 20s.

Bombshell indeed!

I have last years and this years version of the bombshell. Neither is insulated, just the shell but I agree it's a terrific jacket. Great jacket for touring. Never too warm and really breathes. Typically I only wear an underarmor layer underneath. If its real cold, I'll throw on a first ascent down vest but have never needed more than that. No wind gets into this baby at all. Durable too. Cant go wrong with this jacket

I have this years non-insulated version. For the price its the best thing around. I am overall very happy with all the features and the fabric feels durable enough.

How's the fit of the insulated version - baggy new school, boxy Patagonia or trim Arc Teryx? I used to be an XL in the old BC Stoic 2.0 which was so trim it made Arc Teryx seem boxy, but I know they've revamped all the cuts since then.
    "What could possibly go wrong?"

Just another vote saying these are the shit. Have an uninsulated one and it's the goods, still looks brand new even after being rode hard/put away wet.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by krick View Post
    How's the fit of the insulated version - baggy new school, boxy Patagonia or trim Arc Teryx? I used to be an XL in the old BC Stoic 2.0 which was so trim it made Arc Teryx seem boxy, but I know they've revamped all the cuts since then.
    I got the insulated version last week in size medium. I'm 5'11 and 170 lbs. I wear size 41 or 42 blazers or suit jackets. This is not too tight and a nice fit. But it does remind me a lot of my arcteryx shell in fit. I would say it's slightly looser especially around the shoulders and armpits. At my size I can't imagine wanting a large but I'm not into baggy new school. I'm a 38 year old ski dad.

Quote Originally Posted by krick View Post
    I've never rode with any Patagonia or Arc stuff so can't speak to it. I went with the XL, I'm 6'1" 190 lbs and it fits a bit new school (I only wear a tear shirt, plenty of room for more layers but don't need it). Has long arms on it, which is nice. I prob could've gone for a large but prefer the XL Could use a bit more room in the neck / throat section but it still fuckin rocks.

Sent from my PC36100 using TGR Forums

Is the insulated version so warm you would sweat with an under armour base layer on? Trying to decide between the insulated and non-insulated versions.

I don't believe you'll be too warm with just a base layer. Granted, I was skiing with the kids a couple weeks ago but had on a base layer, another Under Armour layer on top of it and got a chilled often during the day. I was wishing I had a fleece on. But without skiing with the kids, a base layer and coat I don't believe would be too much unless a sunny warm day.

I bought both.
    I sent back the insulated one, because I liked the way the shell worked with the base layers better.
    When we went to Jackson hole. I used the shell with a northface medium layer, and stayed warm in single digits, to low
    - conditions. Wind blowing up top like a mutha. It was so cold I had to go get mitts, but my body was warm..
    I am a really cold person, so I was amazed at how well it insulated

Can't seem to find many online, anyone got a site for me?

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Is the insulated version so warm you would sweat with an under armour base layer on? Trying to decide between the insulated and non-insulated versions.
    I have sweat in the insulated version with it being 15 degrees, 30 mph winds, and only wearing a tshirt. That being said, I think having a layer between your skin and the coat will cut back on sweating so maybe the base layer would help.

Quote Originally Posted by rcamp View Post
    Can't seem to find many online, anyone got a site for me?
    What about Backcountry link the OP has: http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-bom...:referralID=NA

If you read their info, Backcountry.com is the exclusive US distributor for Stoic products

Not to change your mind, but I also bought one of these..I really like the bombshell, but I have not compared them when skiing, but it seems close, and I like Patagonia stuff. No skirt.
    http://www.6pm.com/patagonia-mens-na...m-jacket-mango

Thanks RShea....now just need to figure out what size

I've been rocking the insulated version as my go to resort jacket this season. I really like how soft the fabric is (no noise when moving) and I actually like just having to wear a lightweight base layer. But it would be way too warm for any skiing/backcountry activity. It is very windproof (comparable to my arc'teryx shell) and holds in the heat. Seems to breath fairly well during 20 minute boot packs. Love the longer arms (maybe a couple inches longer than other jackets I have had) fits me well. Size Medium, 6' 150lbs. I am on my second jacket after a warranty. The sticking on the Recco came loose and started to fall off. and the sticking on one of the wrist cuffs started to come off and the Velcro strap fell off. But BC.com warranty is top notch so that wasn't an issue to replace the jacket.

Pros: A LOT cheaper than other similar jackets, windproof, comfy and lightweight.
    Cons: only 20k waterproof (noticeable difference compared to the arc'teryx) but is sufficient for resort skiing. Quality may not be as high as some of the other major brands

I have the Bombshell Insulated and I like it. Sometimes I feel like a clown in it though since it's purple with yellow zippers.
    Dollar sign that bitch.

Sounds like I'm in the minority here, as I'm about to send back the jacket and pants. The price is right, but the material isn't very confidence inspiring. I've only had them out a few times (on account of how bad the season is) but I get new slices around the cuffs every time I do. The cuffs on the jacket are too narrow and my short-cuff gloves pull out almost immediately when I do put them in, and the crotch zipper is WAY too short. I'm bummed because I really wanted to like it, on account of the steeze and the price.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Curious about sizing.

Does anybody have the Bombshell in M, L or XL and if so could you tell me the actual measurements of the jacket itself.

These would be taken by laying the jacket out flat on the floor and measuring:
    1. from the chin down to the bottom of the waist
    2. across the chest area
    3. shoulder to sleeve

The result would be 3 measurements length, width, and sleeve length.

Any info in regards to these measurements would be stellar as I would like to compare those length to jackets I already have.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I've got the XL. I'll take a measurement sometime next week for ya.

On another note, I had a zipper piece rip off late in the season. Took it over to the BC warehouse and they tossed me a new jacket. I know a zipper shouldn't rip off on a $340 jacket but the customer service was handsdown some of the best.

Another plus 1 for this jacket. My lady has the womens version and she absolutely loves it. Its the only thing that got her to stop complaining about being cold so thanks to bc.com for saving me the headache.

bumping this again... zipper ripped off on the new on after 6 days of use. I really wish this hadn't happened again as I really like the jacket. Just can't justify keeping it with the zipper ripping off after 6 days of use. I just returned it to BC and will be picking up the FlyLow Quantum Jacket.. hoping this jacket will work out as well.

What's the current thinking? When skiing inbounds and the temperature is low single digits, I'm getting tired of layering. Harry - what have you been using up in Montana?

Three jackets I've been looking at are:

Mountain Equipment Citadel
    Mountain Equipment Fitzroy
    Black Diamond Stance Belay
    Black Diamond Heat Treat
    Rab Strata Guide
    Rab Inferno Shield
    Rab Photon X

Somehow, the two BD jackets look a lot like the Arc'teryx Atoms and such - more for the alpine experience and that part of my wardrobe is fairly well covered. The Mountain Equipment looks as if you could take it out with just a base layer.

Any thoughts on these or others?

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-03-2016 at 12:58 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music