Homemade Bacon Jam

Makes about 1½ cups

Bacon jam is best served at room temperature. It can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 weeks, or frozen in an airtight container for up to 1 month.

1 pound thick-cut smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 large onion, sliced thin
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    1 shallot, minced
    ¾ cup coffee
    ½ cup water
    ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
    ⅓ cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon allspice
    1 teaspoon chili powder

1. Add bacon to large Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 20 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate, leaving rendered fat in pot.

2. Return pot to medium heat, add onion, garlic, and shallot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Return bacon to pot, and stir in coffee, water, vinegar, maple syrup, sugar, honey, allspice, and chili powder. Bring to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until mixture achieves jammy consistency, about 1 ½ hours.

3. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool for 15 minutes. Once cool, use slotted spoon to transfer mixture to food processor, leaving behind excess fat. Pulse until finely chopped, about 5 pulses, or until mixture has reached desired consistency. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.c...ade-bacon-jam/

yes, it really is THAT good.

Holy sweet baby jebus WANT!
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I heard about it on CBC a couple weeks ago. I looked for it online and found it in Vancouver for $20/jar and nearly fell off my chair so I made some. The first batch was kinda ho hum because the bacon I used was ho hum. I went and found the baconyiest bacon I could find and made another batch, way better.

My recipe was bacon, coffee, maple syrup, brown sugar, onion, garlic, cider vinegar, black pepper and fennel.

I had toast and jam for breakfast 3 days this week. I never eat toast and jam.
    Last edited by Beaver; 12-25-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Damn good find. Thanks for the heads up!

just made a new batch.

A friend of mine served me up some on a biscuit one day...I was bowled over by the taste. That batch was pretty salty, but damn it was GOOD.

I think I saw an article about it in one of the Foxfire series of books. It's an old "down in the holler' recipe in appalachia.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

A friend gave me a jar of this last Christmas. I had completely forgotten about it, now I can't stop thinking about it.

A coworker asked: "What do you put bacon jam on?"
    Answer: "Whatever the hell you want".

Bacon jam grilled cheese sandwiches are killer.

FWIW, he went with the Martha Stewart recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/326881/...oker-bacon-jam

bumping cuz I just made another batch of baconjam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00982.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	125948

Oh yes. Tomorrow night over sausage.
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

wow, I want to make this now. Why does the recipe say only can be kept in the fridge for 2 weeks or frozen a month, that seems odd. Bacon can keep a long time.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    bumping cuz I just made another batch of baconjam
    We are on our way there. Can you park buses?

Oh and THX for sharing the recipe.
    watch out for snakes

That title caught me like a tractor beam- ha! missed it last year.

For awhile there, there wasn't a thread on the front page of the PR that didn't have the term "bacon" in it. Let's bring it back!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    wow, I want to make this now. Why does the recipe say only can be kept in the fridge for 2 weeks or frozen a month, that seems odd. Bacon can keep a long time.
    How would you not eat it all in LESS then 2 weeks???

I still can't get over that you leave all the grease of a POUND of bacon in the pot - gotta be ~ a 1/2 cup of fat - and then add ONE onion, 5 cloves of garlic, and ONE shallot. That's deep-frying that shit.

The recipe that I posted (and the only Bacon Jam I've had) removes all but a tablespoon of the fat. I agree if you kept all of the fat it would be a little much.

Cooked up a batch last night and had bacon jam on toast for breakfast this morning. Delicious. Kinda like a bacon chutney...mmmm....

Mtlion - I hope you don't mind but I made a couple small changes to your recipe.

Homemade Bacon Jam
    Makes about 1½ cups

Bacon jam is best served at room temperature. It can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 weeks, or frozen in an airtight container for up to 1 month.

1 pound thick-cut smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 large onion, sliced thin
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    1 shallot, minced
    ¾ cup coffee
    ½ cup water (I skip this, you're just going to boil it out later)
    ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
    ⅓ cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar (I skipped this, It made it too sweet for my liking)
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon allspice
    1 teaspoon chili powder (I used more like a tablespoon)

1. Add bacon to large Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 20 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate, Pour off fat leaving just enough to cook the onions etc.

2. Return pot to medium heat, add onion, garlic, and shallot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Return bacon to pot, and stir in coffee, water, vinegar, maple syrup, sugar, honey, allspice, and chili powder. Bring to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until mixture achieves jammy consistency, about 1 ½ hours. I put it all in a sieve to strain out the liquid, put the liquid back in the pot and boiled it hard stirring constantly for about 10 minutes, saved me over an hour and I got to eat it sooner.

3. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool for 15 minutes. Once cool, use slotted spoon to transfer mixture to food processor, leaving behind excess fat. Pulse until finely chopped, about 5 pulses, or until mixture has reached desired consistency. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. No way could you get the excess fat out at this point that is why I took it out earlier.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I like an order of bacon with my eggs and some good fruit jam on my toast. Am I crazy?

Made 2 batches bump. This shit just made my mornings manageable. Those foldgers commercials are full of shit... give me dank jam on a piece of toast, not that shitty coffee.

Yum. Thanks for this. Bacon is more complex than people realize. A fresh 1/2 inch cut from a fresh hog cooked on a gas stove in a cast iron skillet is hard to beat though. But given my avatar, it is safe to say I will eat any bacon. I have a similar recipe as this one, however I think I may experiment.
    -You can't get hurt if you are in the air.

Caleb Wray Photography