Page 64 of 884 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 22079
    may 11th by soulturns, on Flickr

Last edited by soulturn; 05-11-2014 at 08:24 PM.

^^
    Nice! Way to get after it! Face shots in the middle of May? Yes, please!

I'm glad somebody was out there taking advantage of the snow we got this weekend.

Yellowstone stoke. Technically Wyoming...photos from Baby Stayner

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6315_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	155435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ty hockey stop.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	155436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6285_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	155437

Im looking at Refinery Jobs in Montana. The two locations where work would be is Billings and Great falls,Hopoefully I ccan get a 4-10 schedule, spend three nights in a motel then have long weekends,Try to set up a base pad near a resort. Wondering which area would be better to get to a resort on the weekends, Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by climbgoon View Post
    Im looking at Refinery Jobs in Montana. The two locations where work would be is Billings and Great falls,Hopoefully I ccan get a 4-10 schedule, spend three nights in a motel then have long weekends,Try to set up a base pad near a resort. Wondering which area would be better to get to a resort on the weekends, Cheers
    Billings will have better access to resorts. Red Lodge = 1 hour, Bridger Bowl = 2 1/4 hours, Big Sky/Moonlight = 3 hours.

Great Falls has great access to fly fishing, hunting, and backpacking though. Nearest skiing is Teton Pass up by Choteau. Also Showdown near Neihart.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Thanks for the info, Im looking forward to exploring a new place, meeting new people. Cheers

Billings is closer to skiing, but Red Lodge can have really low snow years. Great Falls is not high on ambiance, but you do literally have skiing in every direction -- even Snowbowl is less than 3 hours, as is Bridger, and Whitefish is about 4. I'm not saying Great Falls is a better choice, but when else will you get the chance to ski at Bear Paw?

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    Billings is closer to skiing, but Red Lodge can have really low snow years. Great Falls is not high on ambiance, but you do literally have skiing in every direction -- even Snowbowl is less than 3 hours, as is Bridger, and Whitefish is about 4. I'm not saying Great Falls is a better choice, but when else will you get the chance to ski at Bear Paw?
    Red Lodge had a GREAT season in 13/14, and they finished out nice and deep. Had a pass for 11/12 which was also pretty fantastic. But it can be hit and miss, as 12/13 wasn't so good. I loved living in Billings due to its proximity to the Beartooths for some of the best summer skiing ever!

I also lived near Great Falls for a little while, and had a great time at Showdown. Had a pass there for 12/13, and had a blast. Showdown may not be too gnar, but it has usually has some of the best powder in the state. Haven't been to Teton Pass (also near GF), but friends of mine have told me that since the reopening, it is where it's at. No crowds, great snow, a fantastic lodge, and a fantastic experience all the way around. Can't wait to check it out for myself.

You really can't go wrong with either city. What would be the determining factor for me? The schedule. Go with the refinery that offers the best hitch. Going back to the oil fields this week to start an 8/8 schedule. Awwwwwwwww, yeah. Definitely hoping to get some more skiing in next season!

Thanks, Austin, I havent been skiing that long, 6 years and like the idea of the smaller resort as a home mtn to work on my craft and hit the bigger Mountains later in the season. Like you said it will be where the work is that I end up, Im a Union Electrican and it sounds like there is a Boom in the horizon. Be safe out there.

some photos i took on my first day of summer school at Saddle Peak University

im in dorm 2- West Side

already met the class bully

Mechanics of Slashing 201

long live the jahrator

I havent been skiing that long, 6 years and like the idea of the smaller resort as a home mtn to work on my craft and hit the bigger Mountains later in the season.
    I've lived in GTF a year now and while my personal season this last winter was a total disappointment (jacked up schedule and travel at the worst possible time) in the skiing department, Showdown racked up the snow in a big way. Weather patterns really favored them this last year. So much that they won't be able to get to much of what I think would be the best improvement for the hill, thinning out some of the trees on the steeper areas, as they'll be full of snow. I'll attach a pic that was taken Tues May 20th, and you can see they still have lots...probably won't be able to get in there until mid July, if that.

The hill is an excellent training grounds. I'll be getting my pass there next year. It lacks gnar terrain like you'd have at Bridger or Big Sky, but it's got some steeper runs, 3 pretty antiquated but reliable chairs, and a really great atmosphere. It's very apparent that it's the local skiers' home and they focus on making the most of what they've got, and when they want the gnar they take a couple days and do a road trip elsewhere. The downsides to it is it's not always a 7-day operation, they can really only do that a couple weeks near the holidays and then they're closed a bunch of days (don't recall what they are and too lazy to look up, but it's why I haven't bought next season's pass yet - I won't know my days off for next year until sometime this fall, no sense buying a pass that I ultimately can't use); and the steep, good pow runs get bumped out, which is why I'd like to see more thinned tree glades.

Teton Pass is in the area as well, due to the road from Choteau to the hill it's driving time the same as going to Showdown. I never made it out there this season since every time storms would come to drop snow, the winds would be HOWLING - north of 80mph! No desire to drive out that far to have the chair shut down. Also, again, they have a limited operating schedule.

Great Falls, after a year of living here, can get pretty rednecky fast. There's a big tweaker demographic in town, and the Hoots and rednecks are all around it. The good news is that they don't recreate outside as much and the populace of Bozeman or Missoula, so the trailheads are comparitively empty. Get a sled and 4x4 and you can have a blast here. Food/music scene here sucks IMO, most music acts are country or western (your pick), a lot of restaurants shut down because locals won't support or try new things, etc, but there are some gems here and there. Beer scene is great though, now 3 independent breweries in town.

I think by comparison Billings is bigger and has a lot more shopping opportunities, might have better access for travel out of their airport (though we're trying here), but population with the tweaker crowd it might be the same. Lots and lots of transients there, and Crow who got kicked off the res, so downtown you've got to be careful. Their music scene is a lot better though, most anybody who comes to MT goes to Billings or Missoula. There's just a shitload of people in Billings, like 3 times GTF's size.

Name:	10390320_634317593310477_2807484324788896032_n.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	155710

Hows the corn Totaliboard? Interesting anecdotes Jumper, makes me grateful to live here in the thriving progressive metropolis of East Portland Hipsterville.

A couple from earlier in the month, haven't been out much this spring but it gets harder once I can sleep in and get my speed fix on the dirt. The dirt stays good all day, woohooo!

Fixer upper in a prime location:

Some debris in the line, I figured it could use some more.

...not a bad spot for some casual may pow turns.

Road Jib at the hill, Slayuary!

Good to the last turn, well almost:

Spent a fair amount of time wandering around in the 4th dimension:

Lost motivation early this spring but maybe I can get my shit back together for a few corn sessions before all is said and done. Have fun at the pass!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Wow! Beautiful pictures! I went to a place similar to that, a ski resort in Ontario named Mount St. Louis Moonstone
    http://www.mountstlouis.com/skiing/ and it was breathtaking!!

Tone- its still good and theres lots of it, but the window of rideability is shorter every week. The sun is doin a number on my sleep schedule. Been waking up at 4:45 most days this week.. and its been payin off, but everyday im amazed at how quickly it transitions from hard to mush.. like thurs up m. cottonwood, i found an interestingly thick crust that I was skeptical wouldnt corn up.. but sure enough, while im takin my sweet ass time transitioning .. i drop in and its already slushin'! oh well, slay la vie is the phrase i believe...
    long live the jahrator

2 days at Frazier turned into 1: weather alert!

A couple friends and I packed up both the camping and ski gear and hiked up to Frazier for the weekend.
    From the ridge separating Frazier and Hardscrabble:

Name:	IMG_20140524_124010812.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	390.1 KB 
ID:	155753
    The lake has started to show itself

Name:	IMG_20140524_125602072_HDR.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	155755
    A pretty deep slab released on the north facing wall of hardscrabble while we were setting up camp, in addition to the slough.

Name:	IMG_20140524_155620759.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	513.5 KB 
ID:	155756
    The laps down to the lake were pretty nice spring skiing though:

Name:	IMG_20140524_161639880_HDR.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	872.7 KB 
ID:	155759

Name:	IMG_20140524_162252778_HDR.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1,014.0 KB 
ID:	155757
    ...but then these clouds poured over the Bridgers between the peaks, and brought thunder, 40 mph wind, and driving rain with them. Two of us had foolishly brought only camping hammocks with us, and our rainflys weren't any match for the wind. We had to pack up in a hurry and head back to the car

Name:	IMG_20140524_181048014.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	896.9 KB 
ID:	155758

Still a fun trip, but I think i'll reserve heading back there again until I can drive most of the way. Makes running away from t-storms much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Not sure about next year, but I think it was $69 last year if you bought it by September 30. (They did the same thing last year and did not release the Sky Card price until later in the summer for some reason.) You could call guest services and ask, but if they haven't released the price officially I don't think it will do you much good to call.
    Finally announced, same this year: http://bigskyresort.com/the-mountain...cards/sky-card

Anyone been to black recently? Thinking it's a good bet; the amount of snow I can see from here on NW Emigrant gives me hope, but with limited time off this summer want to maximize my time. Any beta is appreciated. See ya around.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Quote Originally Posted by ODHGABFE View Post
    Anyone been to black recently? Thinking it's a good bet; the amount of snow I can see from here on NW Emigrant gives me hope, but with limited time off this summer want to maximize my time. Any beta is appreciated. See ya around.
    yo hows the snow lookin on emigrant? is that your spot? gold prize crk? gulch route? any beta is appreciated.
    long live the jahrator

Does Big Sky play ball with that MT-resort-pass, half-day pricing? Some program through either the state commerce dept or tourism bureau that gets you half day rates for a lift ticket at any other resort in the state - ie have a Showdown pass, get a half day Bridger lift ticket. I used it a couple times at Showdown this past winter and it worked nicely.

If it's a state thing they should comply, but if there's anybody in the state that'll act like the lone big dick that does whatever it wants, it's Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Does Big Sky play ball with that MT-resort-pass, half-day pricing? Some program through either the state commerce dept or tourism bureau that gets you half day rates for a lift ticket at any other resort in the state - ie have a Showdown pass, get a half day Bridger lift ticket. I used it a couple times at Showdown this past winter and it worked nicely.

If it's a state thing they should comply, but if there's anybody in the state that'll act like the lone big dick that does whatever it wants, it's Big Sky.
    they offer $10 off for that, which is pretty much their half day rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuck in Limbo View Post
    they offer $10 off for that, which is pretty much their half day rate.
    ^^^ Yeah, if you live in Montana and plan to ski at Big Sky more than 2 or 3 days a season you would be better off to get a Frequent Sky card.

It is good that Big Sky participates in that program though, with my BS pass I skied at Discovery for something like $23. Had a great time, I love Discovery.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I skied a bunch of places in Montana last winter and got the half day rate with my Big Sky pass. Also got several free days at Crystal and Alpental in Washington, which was nice. You get up to ten free days at those areas with your Big Sky pass, although it's not reciprocal--people with passes at Crystal and Alpental don't get free days at Big Sky, I think they just get half day rate.

I may have missed out on some epic spring ski days but a decent consolation has been one of the best spring months of biking that I can remember.

Ben M. at Trumans, good ole Trumans, it's like Bridger Bowl but with dirt.

The foothills are alive!

But there is still some snow in them hills.

So finally I reluctantly dragged my ass outta bed at some god forsaken hour one last time.

I forgot this takes calf muscles, fuck.

A little cruxy off the top, climb was perfect till the last 20 feet or so which was thin breakable crust over chest deep cohesionless wet sugar, pretty sporty in shorts and a t shirt.

Timing was good. Turns were acceptably fast and fun, but required signifigantly more effort in comparison to all the pow we enjoyed up until one short month ago. The rest of the experience reminded me of why I cheerfully embrace the two wheel method of mountian travel in the spring these days.

Not too shabby of a tag to send off an epic season though, I was stoked.

just gonna just try and keep the rubber side down for now and save what's left of the battered carcass for the promise of next year's virgin flakes! See ya's out ridin.
    Last edited by tone capone; 05-14-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I skied a bunch of places in Montana last winter and got the half day rate with my Big Sky pass. Also got several free days at Crystal and Alpental in Washington, which was nice. You get up to ten free days at those areas with your Big Sky pass, although it's not reciprocal--people with passes at Crystal and Alpental don't get free days at Big Sky, I think they just get half day rate.
    Yeah, I was thinking the opposite. Had a BS pass last year and it didn't work out like I wanted it to, so I think I'll stick to a Showdown pass this year since I do live in GF. But $10 off? Yeah screw that, I'll get the Freq card.

Funny, when I had a Crystal pass living out in Seattle, I got the 10 days of free skiing at BS - 10 free days at each of Boyne's resorts. Interesting.

Sweet pics Tone. Lets get some more riding in.