Page 112 of 892 FirstFirst ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 22279
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    If you ski Snakepit and follow the ridge line along the west end down to where he was caught there is a nice plaque on a tree as a memorial.

Also Liberty Bowl was know as Stutzmans Bowl for a long time until Marketing in their infinite wisdom re-named it Liberty Bowl. Most long time locals still call it Stutzmans. There is also a big rock in The Bowl known as Stutzmans rock. The Ski Patrol locker room has a plaque and one of his old skis on the wall.

His death and a post control slide that year (82/83) that injured a guest were the triggers that caused big leaps in how Big Sky dealt with A/C hazards.

In the run out of Stutzmans Bowl once you get to tree line if you enter the trees there is another plaque dedicated to Erika Pankow (killed in an explosives accident while performing A/C) along with a gladed area named after her.

Her death also caused huge changes in the Snow Safety program at Big Sky as well as in the entire industry. Next year will be 20 years since that happened.

Too bad that is often what it takes.
    thank's spent last weekend with one of his climbing partners. He used to live in Cordova and came back to teach our NSP refresher. Should of asked last year when I skied there. conditions sucked not much open could of spent some time looking for the plaque. thank's maybe this year.
    off your knees Louie

Give a shout when you are in the area. I haven't visited either site in several years and am past due. The trek to each involves some pretty good skiing.

There is also a plaque for Rathole (aka Jim Kanzler, BS 1st Ski Patrol Director) that I have never seen.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    Ha! No one cares I've been skiing Big Sky longer than you and I don't give a fuck if you care or not!! I will shred yer powz!!
    Oh good, the Bridger - Big Sky debate rages on.

Montucky Maggots! I'm shamelessly spamming you all here, I have a ton of open dates at the Hellroaring Hut. I'd love to fill those spots filthy cheap with some maggots: $150/night for maggots midweek ie Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs. Weekends are $200 for maggots. If that's too pricey or you have a super small group we can work out a deal, I just need to book some trips!

-1.5 hrs from Bozeman
    -1.5 hrs from Idaho Falls
    -2 hrs from Jackson Hole

http://www.hellroaringpowderguides.com/

Last edited by cliffhucker; 11-25-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Yo Cliffhucker- post it up in the Teton thread too. I'll spread the word. Maybe we will pop up for a couple nights, I will look at my schedule.

Cliffhucker let me check with a few buds and see if we can get something together. Maybe Something in January. Anyway skiing has been good!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1448505466.822338.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	172397

Thanks guys, the response is much appreciated!

Ha! No one cares I've been skiing Big Sky longer than you and I don't give a fuck if you care or not!! I will shred yer powz!!
    You rolling with iGband today ? I think I owe him a beer from a gear swap transaction. Either way, First beer is on me. Blue pants, black jacket.

Word is: Ramcharger, Challenger, Swifty, and the Triple will all be open today. Shit, I remember years where only Explorer was open on T-Day. Enjoy it !
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Heading out to run in single digits at Huffing for Stuffing, way more fun than skiing. Have fun, sounds like it should be a great opening day!

So Harry how did Big Sky ski this weekend? Heard the tram was running?

Looking like classic El Nino for the near term.

Sub-zero temps at night gradually giving way to below freezing, thin and shallow snow pack. A massive H that is anchored over the northern Rockies for the next 5-7+ days.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

gettin a wee bit rough out there
    "he doesn't know to behold what the cold frost can do..."

you working Wednesday nite Nate?
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    gettin a wee bit rough out there
    At Big Sky? Trying to decide if it is worth heading up tomorrow. My wife only has brand new skis...

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    At Big Sky? Trying to decide if it is worth heading up tomorrow. My wife only has brand new skis...
    Prolly a bad idea then, the only rock-free run today was tippy's.

So Harry how did Big Sky ski this weekend? Heard the tram was running?
    Tram was for scenic rides only.

I hit a big rock in The Bowl. Based on that I did not go over to Challenger even though it was running. So I basically lapped Mr. K for 5 days straight. I am a gaper anyway, so I am in my element. Africa was surprisingly good, some rocky patches, but they were easy to see and avoid.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    With brand new skis she should be OK on Mr. K, Tippys, Lower Morningstar, and Africa. The Bowl and Challenger would be a roll of the dice ptex-wise.

We lapped the windbuff on the bowl triple to finish the day and must say it was the best turns of the day, just wish the bowl chair was spinning earlier. See yalls mmm hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    With brand new skis she should be OK on Mr. K, Tippys, Lower Morningstar, and Africa. The Bowl and Challenger would be a roll of the dice ptex-wise.
    Thanks!

All this cold and sun....ahh. Beehive was just a huge layer of sugar last week, no bueno
    "Totally Wicked"

I just checked out the new Avanet app, it looks like it's gonna be a real cool way to share snowpack info. Would encourage everyone to take a look at it

Well fellas, looks like more of this abominable shit for at least 10 days out. Guess it's time to do the bike maintenance I was gonna put off till spring, maybe ride some frozen trails and skin tracks, yay! So sad, things were shaping up so nice a few short weeks ago.

Last edited by tone capone; 12-01-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Hey all- here's a call for avalanche-related photos for the February issue of The Avalanche Review (TAR). Will trade you for a comp of the same TAR, or even a whole volume if you have a fat stack of hi-res (at least 1mb@) photos for me. Pop me a PM and we can then take it to email if you're interested.

And in other news, with same cold temps and shallow pack down here in the Tetons, you can hear the facets forming. Should be interesting with pattern change, and it looks like you guys are getting the brunt of the storm that's in the PNW now.

had surprisingly good turns up chally yesterday. bowl kinda sucked today
    "he doesn't know to behold what the cold frost can do..."

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

And in other news, with same cold temps and shallow pack down here in the Tetons, you can hear the facets forming. Should be interesting with pattern change, and it looks like you guys are getting the brunt of the storm that's in the PNW now.
    If by "Brunt" you mean 4 hours of clouds, a rise in temps and some fast moving showers over the mountains. Yep we got hammered.