Page 105 of 890 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 22244
    Rough way to end the season for the GNFAC. Many vibes to them plus of course Jens' family and friends.

I got to ski around just north of Bridger today, and it was pretty great! Fantastic snow in the shade, but everything out in the sun got nuked and was moving around really easily. It was humbling to see a pretty good-sized loose snow slide run over the cliffs next to us after skiing Hourglass, and throughout the day little pieces of snow falling off of trees on steep stuff triggered loose wet slides that ran just about full track, in some cases. A few more days of this and we should have the sweet combo of south-facing corn and north-facing pow, which will be tolerable.

Any of you maggot scum need a big sky ticket for this weekend? I have one to dispose of, hate to see her go to waste. Gratis, just don't make me work for it. PM if you wanna

Just curious if there is anything even remotely resembling dry snow conditions on high north facing terrain around Big Sky. I realize "powder" would be alot to ask for, but anything not bulletproof would fit the criteria...
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Decent corn harvest in the Bridgers this morning, but didn't really come across any good dry snow. Even N facing stuff had some crust, but I didn't really have the time to explore too much.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Just curious if there is anything even remotely resembling dry snow conditions on high north facing terrain around Big Sky. I realize "powder" would be alot to ask for, but anything not bulletproof would fit the criteria...
    lower section of great falls was nice this morning; but it may have gotten baked today; I don't know.

MLB folks and SW MT Mags.

Lee Poole has passed away.

Say what you will about the guy but he was always great and positive to be around and instrumental in creating what is now called the Biggest Skiing in America (tm). For better or worse.

When it counted he backed me and the rest of the Moonlight Basin staff 100% and allowed us to operate a ski area they way we thought it should be run. Most of us were disgruntled ski area employees from other ski areas who had spent a career complaining about how things were run at a daily level and wanted the chance to prove it didn't always have to be the same way.

When Lee realized we had to hike 600-1000' vertical every time we needed to do A/C or access the Headwaters, he bought us a chair, asked us to put it where we thought it should go and left us alone while we did so.

When we told him our plan for operating the N. Summit and the costs for building and flying a pre-made structure to the top of Lone Peak, the cost of the A/C and the tiny number of skiers per day the area would see, he gave his blessings.

For a terminal low intermediate skier he appreciated that some people wanted to ski shit like Rock Creek, from the top.

Vaya con dios Amigo.
    Last edited by Bunion; 04-19-2015 at 01:12 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Damn. That's a shame. Great memories from my 2 years there.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

RIP Lee Poole

Thanks for giving us a great place to ski.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I skipped the pond skim Saturday in favor of a tour in the park, which was probably the right decision. I saw a set of wolverine tracks and six sets of grizzly tracks, so bring your bear spray if you're in the area!

Looks sweet!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Great pictures, and the pond skim set up this year was pretty lame, flat and long. Kudos to the competitors who still managed to make something out of it. In other news, Bridger was great yesterday, prime corn conditions that held up pretty well thanks to some clouds and cooler temperatures. I hope it doesn't get too warm too fast, it could still last for a while.

RIP Mr Poole

What was the cause of death? He was "younger" I thought...

Nice pics aenigma. Really liked your trip to the Crazies. It seems you do a lot of skiing solo. Not questioning your judgment, just wondering how everyone feels about doing that. I'm new into touring and nervous to go w out a partner. I see the recommendations always say avy gear and a partner. Anyone going out of a gate at BS or Bridger w out gear gets blasted as idiots. So I'm curious what those w more experience think, aenigma included. If you're a confident skier, it's a stable day and you just want to ski mellower terrain, do you go solo? Or as spring comes are you up for anything, anytime?
    Part of the reason I ask is Great Falls isn't the ski town Bozeman is. I'm sure there are a few here who would go (feel free to chime in). There is really cool stuff on the Front Range up here, but it's a project. Not 15 min out of town like you SWers. I wish.
    Anyway, just wondering what the thoughts of the collective are. Thx

I won't make the position that touring solo is better than having a partner, but I do end up alone pretty often. I'm going to make the exact same assessment of the snow regardless of how many people are in the group, but I certainly think more about exposure when I'm by myself (notice the "I"; a partner/group can help with decision making). A minor injury or gear failure is a lot bigger deal when nobody is around to help! When I'm out there I have all my avy gear and a full first aid kit, but am still well aware that none of it will do me any good if I get buried or am unconscious; it's just a risk judgement to make personally, and I try to mitigate risk as much as possible while still at least getting out. I've been able to do a lot of really cool stuff the past couple months due to generally stable conditions, but I sure did a lot of cross country skiing earlier in the year, which can be just as enjoyable for me.

But mostly, I've had some trouble finding reliable partners lately, and enjoy being out by myself.

Edit: don't base people's exploits purely off of photos you see online; try and think of all the days we go out that aren't that special . For every really cool trip, there are many days of meadow skipping, turning around because of conditions, or just poking around and not doing much at all. Or bushwhacking with skis and getting rained out.

All this talk of solid men going down early is a daily reminder of how lucky I feel this year...Lucky to get out in good mountains on many perfect and nearly perfect days, with a rotating cast of my ski bum heroes. Feeling lucky not to be broken and to still have the oppotunity to still live here and enjoy what we have! Wouldn't have it any other way, and since these photos are my greatest contribution to society I hope it fuels some stoke at least. From one of those fortunate days recently:

Last edited by tone capone; 04-21-2015 at 10:56 PM.

It was so good I could ski in my touring boots, amazing!

Good partners are the best thing ever, but sometimes you just gotta go it alone, and some times are less of a bad idea than others, haha... Have fun get stoked get out

there and be safe everyone! t/b/c....

nice work tony. Gorgeous

Hot damn! Gotta love spring skiing.

Thumbs-up #3.

Thanks guys. Again, so lucky to have ended up here, with so many to school me in the ways of the dirtbag and the degenerate. I came out here a 23 yr old gaper and have just been a follower ever since. I'll have to raise a few more pints today to all who have come and gone before, to those that have shown us the best ways of playing in the mountains. To all the ski bum heroes, past present and future, cheers to each of you for showing me the way. Everyone has a story, a lesson, an example, a style to learn from.

Thanks for that boost of stoke Tone. Had one of those days a few weeks ago over here in the 208.

Thx nigma. Good points. If I make it out sometime I'll take some pics. Nothing to rival tone tho I'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm!!! DAT LINE! You're living the dream, my friend. Great stoke!

Inspiring pics and words tone great stuff.