Page 28 of 892 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Bozeman, MT. (Originally from Amsterdam, Netherlands)
    Any word on where to go yet? I REALLY want to go skiing, but everybody around me is being a total knobhead, all pessimistic and shit.

We got around 10-12" in town and it's snowing right now too. Buddy of mine skied in the Bridgers today and said coverage wasn't great. What are the best places right now?

Helena got two feet already? Is Western MT better now? Any idea where some good skinning might be? If anyone from the Bozone is up for some early-season touring tomorrow: hit me up!

how far u wanna drive...... still might be a bit early buuuuutttt............
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baldy.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	125216
    this will prolly be good to go............

good luck, stay safe, lots of new snow to rip out so may be better to chill do grass meadow mellow type skiizin

Fast Pass is dead. Rejoice!

Also it's snowy up here. 12-18" I would say and still snowing lightly this AM.

I'm new to the Bozeman area; any good meadows around here?

6 degrees and STILL snowing here. 3 days straight now. Had to shovel a path to the road this morning so I wouldn't end up in the ditch in the front of my yard. Was hilarious seeing the dogs running full speed across the yard then totally disappearing when they ran over the ditch (was completely flat across the top). The dogs seem as stoked as we are about the snow.

Skinned up Pierres Knob at Bridger yesterday. Enough snow to go for a skin and shuss back down, but not really enough snow yet to even meadow skip, although plenty of people tryin. Maybe with fat rockered boards. A good start to the season, good to get out and dust off the ole' hip flexors. I'm happy.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

just a friendly reminder to everyone, we have already had at least one avalanche happen in which skiers were injured this season. Stay safe, and stay smart.

*** Looking for newbie Backcountry skiers ***

If this is you and you would like to participate in a MSU study about behavior and decision making shoot me a PM and I will put you in touch with the researchers.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Yesterday up Taylor Fork

That was fun scree way to get after it

Looking good Scree! How much snow was there you think?
    I'm trying to figure out where to go. I heard Ulm got like 40", that was on the news but I don't know if it's true. Anyone from western/northern Montana? How is it there?

Quote Originally Posted by TijmenDal View Post
    Looking good Scree! How much snow was there you think?
    There was about 16" of new snow on the ground, but more drifted in where that was shot. Right now you pretty much gotta find the spots where that snow from two weeks ago is still covering the rocks in a nice solid layer. That spot was ridable for two reasons; there is a big sheer cliff above it that shades it really well this time of year, and the little wall I was riding next to always seems to get a nice drift forming against it. Definitely somewhat of an anomaly, as far as not too much else up there was really ready to ride yet. Beware of the new snow old snow interface right now though, especially in wind loaded pockets. I didn't get any results in my column test, but there was about 25-30" of fist hardness snow on top of 20" of pencil hardness snow, and as you can see it sloughed out pretty good down to the old snow.

Great Divide had one groomer open today with a combo of machine and natural snow.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	125381

Here's a reminder to carry a first aid kit, ski with people you can depend on, and be conscious of shallow hazards. I took a pretty mellow fall yesterday up above Fairy Lake that resulted in a pretty serious impalement. I would've been screwed without a first aid kit and a dependable partner to help me out. Also, yesterday's wind created some burly slabs up there, which is what sent us to the trees in the first place.

^^^^^^^^bump for the truth.......... sweet lac dood!!! glad your melon is intact

Perhaps this will bode well for Big Sky and Moonlight?
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/boz...arnings/334227

^^^ like the looks of it, on another note, how many of you guys have a sled and are into some sled skiing in the West Jellystone area this winter? I'm parking an old5th wheel there and hoping to get some good turns in, doing the volly thing up at big sky, and maby getting some part time work in West, anybody have any leads for sled guiding in the park???

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/tfx/main/avy.php?wfo=tfx

New part of the NOAA system that is directed to winter users, you can get pretty good point forecasts from the Google Earth image by point and click or visit any of the SNOTEL sites.

Good stuff, thanks Great Falls NOAA.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/tfx/main/avy.php?wfo=tfx

New part of the NOAA system that is directed to winter users, you can get pretty good point forecasts from the Google Earth image by point and click or visit any of the SNOTEL sites.

Good stuff, thanks Great Falls NOAA.
    There's a SnoTel site called Bloody Dick. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    There's a SnoTel site called Bloody Dick. Heh.
    Yeah, not what yer thinking! The area was named after one of the original homesteaders in the zone that apparently was an ass and was British. Hopefully the PC branch of the GNIS do not decide to change the name.

Climbing Bloody Dick Peak is on my list.. is the Bloody Dick Cafe still open?

theres a bloody dick sticker in the moonlight shack
    long live the jahrator

which shack ? BH? Horseshoe?

there is one at Scruffy's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CheezDick View Post
    Climbing Bloody Dick Peak is on my list.. is the Bloody Dick Cafe still open?
    No se, but you can rent the cabin...and it is in the Beaverhead! Have fun!

If you're around Bozeman this evening, head on down to the Pour House. They are putting on a wax n tune night from 4 to 8pm. Lone Peak is providing some beers on special.

If you've neglected to keep your boards in good shape over the summer, come on down and give them some love with a free wax. The fellas from Roundhouse will be there working their magic and The Pour House will be raffling off free tickets to Big Sky.

Otherwise, come down and grab some cheap, local beers and talk skiing.