Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Is something like that- gas station card skimmers- really possible?
    Yes, absolutely. They can mount them right over the regular card slot.

I enjoyed the pizza and ski gear, I hope you enjoyed the Christain/Muslim/felons you got with my card...tit for tat

(See "Oh, the irony" thread)

Second time I have been hit. I have become very careful how I use my cards, so I was a little surprised. The forst time was by a very sophisticated group. I canceled the card, but they had the new card and were using it in England, Herod's to be exact, at least they have good taste, before I even got the new card. Canceled that one, and put a pass word on my account. If you haven't, all your bank accounts should have passwords when you call, not just online.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    It's worth mentioning. I'll pass it on to the gurus.
    I appreciate that. Scurred to click on this thread on my dad's pc...
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Got hit once for 2 $600 charges from Dubai. Never figured out how they got my debit card number.

The credit card companies hardly seem to care. They just reverse the charges, cancel the card and send out a new one.

The first time I got hit there was actually an investigation since they knew the ring involved, and were trying to nail them. I talked with the Phoenix police and a CC company investigator (ex-FBI if I recall.) They even had the guy in Harrod's while he was using the card, but the store won't do anything other then deign the transaction. They actually called me and asked me if I was in Harrod's in London, which I thought was a bit odd since then called me on my home phone in California. I don't know if they ever caught the guys, but at least they stopped getting my CC before I did.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    all you cna do is watch your bill.
    really, that's it. and don't worry about shit like this. so long as you don't blindly pay your bill, the scammers don't hurt your bottom line.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yup. Google it.

If you think that's a trip, check this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...s-and-wallets/

My previous CU issued an ATM card(rather than a debit card) at my request but I'm some difficulty in getting one from my current CU. Requested one but still was sent a debit card.

This thread is a good reminder to request that ATM card again...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

I know my problem isn't TGR related. Don't want to point the finger there...

But some fucker skimmed my CC from somewhere and racked up $600+ charges... Early season ski orders??? The pizza parlor??? Somewhere??? Wells Fargo investigating... It's a business card and I don't use it often.

I read a story about people putting card skimmers in gas pumps. Is that really true? Just a media filler? We have a gas station staffed by shifty Russians here in JH.

Skimmers installed could be a real possibility. http://consumerist.com/2009/04/19/he...ike-on-an-atm/
    are some examples of the types out there. The hardest to detect are the ones installed inside the machine.

Um, good info here, mind if I change the thread title to take the malware piece out of it?

edit: after an hour, decided separating this from the hellacious spamhack from a year ago was warranted. Changed the title to reflect the change from the past to the current issue.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
    My Mac repair guy says no known spyware has penetrated any Mac OS that he knows of.
    You probably want to find another repair guy.

Yes. Along with ATM skimmers, supermarket POS skimmers, shifty employees, global warming, and evolution.
    focus.

Thanks Wells Fargo Jackson Hole for refunding my money.

I called the telecallcenter line two times, got bounced around, two different resolution #'s & no action. Walked into local branch with guy I know at the desk and ten minutes later he says- No Sweat!

Solved- sorta.

Still no word on how this happened.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Thanks Wells Fargo Jackson Hole for refunding my money.

I called the telecallcenter line two times, got bounced around, two different resolution #'s & no action. Walked into local branch with guy I know at the desk and ten minutes later he says- No Sweat!

Solved- sorta.

Still no word on how this happened.
    Time for a new bank. This should have been solved with one quick phone call. Account closed, new card in the mail priority shipping, new card in your hand the next day.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Time for a new bank. This should have been solved with one quick phone call. Account closed, new card in the mail priority shipping, new card in your hand the next day.
    You know how I know you haven't spent much time in Jackson?
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    what does Jackson have to do with it? The number he is calling to get this resolved should be an 800# that has no connection to drive. In fact, in this case, sounds like it was the local folks who helped him and not the non-Jackson Wells Fargo people.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    This Java script weakness ( allowing a bot to be installed ) came out in April of this year according to the article. I started the thread in December of 2011. I stand by my Mac guy - hands down the best I have seen. But thanks for the concern. I have network monitoring installed now and deny anything even remotely questionable. No problems since. Little Snitch for those who might want to know.

The article you referenced says nothing about how the bot exploits the Mac. Any ideas on this?

And sorry to hear of anyone who gets scammed by these piece of shit lowlife mother fuckers. Kill them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

You know how I know you haven't spent much time thinking?

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    what does Jackson have to do with it? The number he is calling to get this resolved should be an 800# that has no connection to drive. In fact, in this case, sounds like it was the local folks who helped him and not the non-Jackson Wells Fargo people.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    You know how I know you haven't spent much time thinking?
    My point guys is that there isn't a whole shitload of options there. Telling someone to get a new bank is all well and good if you have a ton of options, not like 3. And only one of which is a "major" bank... unless they started popping up like hotcakes since I moved.

There is this new thing called the Internet. One can do (nearly?) all of your banking online. CC and debit cards certainly do not need local banks.

But yeah, I got your point about being a small town.

iscariot

My bank is in Texas, I don't have a local bank. Don't need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My bank is in Texas, I don't have a local bank. Don't need one.
    Ding. My bank (for the last 25 years) is 1100 miles away. Local bank? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
    This Java script weakness ( allowing a bot to be installed ) came out in April of this year according to the article. I started the thread in December of 2011. I stand by my Mac guy - hands down the best I have seen. But thanks for the concern. I have network monitoring installed now and deny anything even remotely questionable. No problems since. Little Snitch for those who might want to know.

The article you referenced says nothing about how the bot exploits the Mac. Any ideas on this?

And sorry to hear of anyone who gets scammed by these piece of shit lowlife mother fuckers. Kill them all.
    Don't stand by your guy. He couldn't be more wrong.

The JRE is a huge liability because it creates such a broad target and macs are included in that (Write Once, Run Anywhere). Not sure how the specific exploit in the zdnet article worked. Haven't looked into it and I'm not really a mac guy anyway. But the reason macs are less frequently targeted for malware has nothing to do with the relative exploitability of the OS - aside from the JRE vulnerability, macs historically represent about 1% of the exploitable base. As that changes (Macs are now about 7% of the overall PC base, not factoring in wintel servers) macs are more frequently targeted. They are also known for having a well heeled and not very technically savvy user base, which makes them an ideal target for scammers. The well accepted myth that "there is no malware for Macs" that you accepted, hopefully up until today, is an example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    They are also known for having a well heeled and not very technically savvy user base, which makes them an ideal target for scammers.
    LOL wut? I would say 95% of ALL computer users are not very tech savvy. Which would mean there are far more PC users who don't know their asshole from their elbow when it comes to much. Maybe in your circle of system admins and IT peeps they may "be known for not being tech savvy" but of the people in my creative department the PC users are just button mashers.

LOL wut?
    That's the mac user's response to any technical question.

The mac world by and large honestly believes they can't be infected with malware. The PC world believes you can't run a computer on the internet without malware protection. One (vastly larger) group of people sees the data and says, "yep, I need to do something about this". The other sees the data and says "lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala". The very, very, very (mean VERY) best of the bunch are the "creative departments" who think they know something about their macs, or computers in general. I lol'd. No, really.. I'm fucking loling right this second.