Thread: AK Anyone?

Lightbulb AK Anyone?

I'm a non-hippie, fat ski, meat-eating, telemarker from Denver considering a heli trip to AK (preferrably Haines?) in March and want to know if anyone is interested? I've never been before and all of my friends are busy, can't afford, or won't afford the trip so I'm looking to make the trip solo. I'm most considering Alaska Heliskiing- either the ski bum deal or going it on my own and skiing 4 days but I'd be open to other options.

Hey I'm in the same boat trying to rally some folks for an AK heli trip. I went through Alaska Heliskiing's guide school and worked for them in 2010, and I have no choice but to go back and get my fix every year, whether others are willing to join me or not. I highly recommend Haines and Alaska Heliskiing. I'm not sure what your time frame is, but I'd recommend going for at least a week as you run the risk of getting shut out if you go for less than that. My window is March 23rd - April 7ish. I'm trying to fill a bird (5 people) with a crew that is looking to get to the gnar. If that sounds good to you, let me know. I'm still waiting to hear from some friends, but chances are there will be space if you want to hook up with me/us. I know the scene and the guides there pretty well so I could help you figure things out. Just let me know.

That sounds really good. I could definitely use a little help getting around as I'll be in uncharted waters. I am looking to get in some good burly lines for sure, but would never want to hold anyone up as the weakest link if they're looking for some ski movie gnar. I always thought I could hold my own alright, but AK seems like a humbling place. I was planning about week and to try and ski 4 days, but would need to head back south on 3/30. Would you do the ski bum special or just stay in town and pay a la carte? I'm still not exactly sure how the game works up there.

You guys are new so apparently I can't PM you, but I'd love to join on this, assuming we can keep it reasonable in terms of price, and we share a similar definition of gnar. Shoot me a PM once you are able to (after 10 posts I think) and we'll get the communication rolling.
    Last edited by shasti; 12-20-2011 at 02:58 PM.

You buy I'll fly. I'll even drive you to valdez and supply shrubbery.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

How do you usually do it on an AK trip? Not having been before, I was going to look into a package price but would be open for other options like staying in town with a rental car and paying by the day. Once again- I'm still not sure how the operation works.

I guess I'm official now so you can shoot me a PM. I am very serious about a trip up there and could reserve something anytime if need be.

well my plan is to crash at a friend's place and ski at the ski area until it clears up and then get on a bird and fly until my money runs out

however I have friends everywhere...

but I'd say don't get a package and go somewhere with a ski area (Juneau or Cordova)
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Definitely ski with eldarone if you can. I live in Anchorage, and although I haven't done a heli trip yet, I know it is 100x nicer to be going with someone that has skied the AK backcountry and has tenured experience.

Make sure you bring your beacons! :-)

Hey All, Haines, Valdez, and Cordova are all different animals. I've spent a lot of time in Haines and have not yet ventured into either of the other areas. As far as I know, Alaska Heliskiing in Haines is the best bang-for-your-buck you'll find for heliskiing anywhere. It's even cheaper than a lot of the catskiing operations in Canada, which seems ridiculous, but it's true. The daily rate is the way to go in my opinion. If you go for the ski bum special, they are going to try to get you out there every chance they get until you have your 30 runs, which means flying in sucker holes and milky conditions where you might only get in a couple runs before the weather shuts things down. With the daily rate, you get some more flexibility and you can pick your days.

There's definitely something to be said for going somewhere that also has a ski area for down days. Haines does not, but if the snow stays good down below, there is some great touring terrain just over the border in Canada. You can also go catskiing with SEABA if you choose. Alaska Heliskiing does a good job of getting people up in the bird as much as possible, so if you're there for a week, you should be able to get at least 4 days in, but there's never a guarantee.

As for my definition of gnar, the sad truth is that it's hard to get to the crazier film lines you've seen in the recent Absinthe, Poor Boys, etc. films as a regular client. You have to have the time and the budget to get to some of those spots, but the rest are totally fair game. I'm always itching to get out to some of the steeper, more featured lines, but it almost has to be the perfect storm of variables to get there as a client. That said, if it's you're first time up there, there will be no shortage of lines to get you going. There's typically an easy, medium, and balls-to-the-wall way down from any given point and the guides are really good about catering to each group and getting people into the type of terrain that they want. I guess the most important thing is being in shape and being comfortable in deep powder. It's only a buzz kill if someone's legs are shot after 4 runs and everyone else wants to keep going. I like hitting more mellow cliffs and pillows and I appreciate the challenge of a more technical line, but you won't find me donning a full-face and hucking backflips off of 60-footers.

I guess I have to do some more posting to be able to PM, but I'll get on that and be in touch.

^^^Interested in being a part of your group. Get 7 more posts and I'll shoot you my email

If I were you, I'd shoot for Valdez. The the town itself isn't nearly as cool of a place as Haines (IMO...but I'm prejudiced, as Haines is one of my very favorite towns!). But up toward Bridal Veil Falls (Keystone Canyon) there are TONS of places you can access right from the road...when you're not in the heli. Parking can be a problem, though because the roadside parking lots are small and either filled, or totally filled-in with snowbanks from the plow. Getting back up to the vehicle can be another chore, as the way is steep enough to make skinning a bitch, so it's a stomp trail. Plenty of stomp trails, though from the locals. Thompson Pass is of course the other destination, and has even more stomp trails and terrain.

For either the pass or the canyon, you'll DEFINITELY want to have avi experience and equipment, though....especially in March.

However, you can probably get better heli deals in Haines...as Valdez is pretty high-dollar. In a pinch, you can always go Evergreen, but they'll charge you top-dollar oil-field exploration rates which are FAR higher than heli-ski rates.

But here's the thing: Valdez will ALWAYS have cheaply accessible snow...and even when the helos are down for weather and fog...you can get to the aforementioned areas, even by hitchhiking.

That isn't always the case in Haines...when the helos aren't flying down there, you're stuck in town....sometimes for a week....you might be hitching all the way to the Junction to find snow. But when they have it, they have it.

I think it would be cool if the White Pass & Yukon railroad line would start-up a single whistle-stop car for winter trips up the White Pass from Skagway. It would be similar to the winter single-car whistle-stop service that the Alaska Railroad runs in central ak. It could take AT skiers and boarders to amazing terrain without need of a chopper and would be WAY cheaper. They'd need to put their rotary snow-blower back in use, but they'd STILL make money. I'd go. Hell...I'd move down there!!

Like thompson pass out of Valdez, famous chilkat pass outside of Haines (about 50 or 60 miles out of town) IS accessible by car...and there are decent stomp trails and riding/skiing there as well.

You'll save money in Haines, but you'll have more options in Valdez.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

^Thanks for the info

Eldarone, I'll be there this April too but was planning on going the second week in April til....whenever. We are waiting to see what TedShred has planned but we have a spot for sure. Maybe 2.
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

Traveling from Denver and planning to ski 3 or 4 days, it looks like about the same money for Alaska Heliskiing in Haines or Alaska Backcountry Adventures on Thompson Pass. Is there a difference in snow quality or temperature in March vs April? It's best for me to go in the first 2 weeks of March. Also- could you get stuffed on daily skiing if you don't reserve something early? The ops must have some type of max capacity right?

I guess you are not getting into a group with other mags. I am a fan of going earlier. More of a chance to open up lines for the season. Never been to haines, skied with ABA. If you go first two weeks of April to ABA you will coincide with Tailgate might not be the scene you are looking for. In my experience ABA is the easiest to walk off the street and fly with. That has sort of been the operation since Alaska West Air started there. They over stated the vert on our runs by 1000' and we farmed the shit out of the area. 3 of 4 runs were same pick up. I have never in the past not been able to get a seat in Feb. or march in valdez. Quite a few operators that don't like empty seats. Definitely would not of been an issue last year. This year who knows no snow down south epic winter here. anyway if you get weather and conditions no matter who you fly with you will think it is the best day of your life. Just ask any guide.
    off your knees Louie

Thanks, BFD. I definitely can't go in early April so I will probably end up solo in early March. Plus- I'm hoping March will be a little cooler and insure some lighter pow. The best plan for me right now seems to be flying to anchorage, drive to valdez and try to ski 3 or 4 days with ABA while staying in Valdez. I've got a crap knee so 3 or 4 days will be enough to cripple me for a week- hopefully worth it though. I'm gonna plan on 5 available ski days and can probably even squeeze in another few if the weather doesn't cooperate. Sounds like the season will be less busy in early March and I hope that means more flexibility in skiing and hotel accomodations if I need to stay a little longer.

I am predicting the biz in AK will be more in swing this year. I heard it was a bit of a down year last year. With this season going off already combined with crap for snow in CO/UT/CA, there should be more hounds sniffing around up north.

Hey all I've been out of the loop for a bit, waiting to hear back about a job before I can make any definite plans, but I'm still planning on being in Haines in the 3/24 - 4/7 window. Lebowski, thanks for the invite, but I probably have to be out of there before you guys get there. Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths?

Jhipps, I've never been to Thompson Pass, but having seen some footage of it, I can say that the terrain in Haines is much more stacked and spine-laden. One of the reasons why Alaska Heliskiing is more affordable than most heli operations is that the mountains are so close to one another that you don't need to burn as much fuel to get from one zone to another. From what I've seen of Valdez, everything is more spread out, which makes it more expensive to get to.

That said, if you only have 5 days and you're going in early March, you probably have a better chance of not getting shut out in Valdez than in Haines. Again, having never been to Valdez, I can't say for sure. Also, given the amount of snow they've been getting, I don't know that I would count on being able to drive from Anchorage to Valdez. You might want to look into other methods of transportation. Girdwood and CPG might be the more reliable option if you're flying into Anchorage.

Why do you think you have a better chance of getting shut out in Haines in early March than Valdez? Because of there being more ops out of Valdez/Thompson Pass?

And thanks for the heads up on driving to Valdez. I just assumed since it was the main way to get from Anchorage to Valdez, the road would be plowed and cleared regularly- any more beta on road conditions will be appreciated.

I would not worry about the road. They keep it open. If it is closed you won't be missing anything anyway. If you are renting a car for the trip 4 wheel drive could come in handy. I do not know of any companies that rent with snow tires. Also you could take the ferry from Whittier one way. Get to see more scenery.
    off your knees Louie

we don't close roads here unless they are covered in avy debris, its not like the lower 48 where everyone is a pussy.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Thanks guys. One more question- What's the difference between going in early March vs late March vs April? In CO I associate April skiing with good if it snows, but shit if you didn't hit a powder day on the spot. March is colder and the soft snow lasts longer.

Quote Originally Posted by jhipps View Post
    Thanks guys. One more question- What's the difference between going in early March vs late March vs April? In CO I associate April skiing with good if it snows, but shit if you didn't hit a powder day on the spot. March is colder and the soft snow lasts longer.
    I think you can relate the transition of spring in both areas similiarly, just slow things down in Alaska. You'll need to choose your aspects and timing more wisely as spring progresses, just like in Colorado but on a different scale.

In some years stability may be an issue in early march, and the snowpack may need some warmer temps to consolidate and stabilize a bit for the bigger lines to be in play. Reports so far seem to show a fat and well-developed midpack that is only causing problems in storm snow and wind affected areas. But obviously things can change between now and March (but hopefully not).

Take my input for what its worth, this will only be my second season up in Haines. There are folks in this thread who know more than me about skiing in southeast alaska, but I'm bored at work so there goes. Anyhow, Alaska Heliskiing is an unreal operation, and I am psyched to be back up in Haines. Hopefully we'll make some turns or have a beer at 33mile.

Just for fun, this is quoted from the Haines Avy center..."Beneath the surface wind slabs, the midpack is pretty well consolidated with little weakness." Exactly the opposite of our snowpack in Colorado. Can't win em all I guess....
    Drive slow, homie.

Just got back from my trip to Valdez/Thompson Pass and had the best skiing of my life with Alaska Backcountry Adventures. Flew 4 out of 5 days and conditions are epic right now. That place is amazing.