Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schralper View Post
    You need to take a chill pill lil buddy, I'm just poking fun at the whole thread thing, JEZ

Dood! No it ain't. It maybe on the crest of the cascades but it AIN'T a volcano
    yes I know there's some fumaroles but that don't make a volcano
    from wikipedia
    A volcano is an opening, or rupture, in a planet's surface or crust, which allows hot magma, volcanic ash and gases to escape from below the surface.
    So then nearly 1/2 of OR fits your "volcano" definition.
    maybe it's semantics, eh?
    Volcanic isn't a "volcano"
    which is why I feel uncomfortable about even posting this TR here, it's only the volcanic stoke of wake butte, not sickter volcano stoke
    Guess LindsORama needs to chime in since she started this dawggone thread
    edit- dood im a geology major, i take this shit to heart!

almost the whole damn state is volcanic

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    It is Hoodoo. No corn for you,cold next week.
    I will try my luck at Bachelor tomorrow. Look for pink pants, yellow DPS skis, and a limp. That'll be me.

Guess LindsORama needs to chime in since she started this dawggone thread
    Any and all volcano/volcanic stoke is welcome in this thread! I'd even be flexible on the definition of "Central" Oregon!

Quote Originally Posted by linds-o-rama View Post
    I will try my luck at Bachelor tomorrow. Look for pink pants, yellow DPS skis, and a limp. That'll be me.
    okie-dokie, will keep an eye out for ya.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    edit- dood im a geology major, i take this shit to heart!
    DOOD, I'm a schralpology major & I take THIS shit to heart!
    must have missed the OrGeo201 class while skiing
    Guess this thread should called be the "All of OR volcanic stoke, except for Mt.Hood cuz they've got there own thread" thread

Crater Lake is WAY easier to jib & circle w/ a SLED, aka snowmobile

volcanic butte stoke from today
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01420.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	109341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01425.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	944.2 KB 
ID:	109342

Name:	DSC01426.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	109343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01440.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	109344

nice shots E. sick write up jibmaster

ohh--> Eagle Peak (will pass) is a shield volcano

Willamette pass, is 1 sad looking volcano there, @ left above lake

Name:	DSC01453.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	955.5 KB 
ID:	109518
    Last edited by Schralper; 02-05-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Popped my Oregon volcano ski touring cherry today, with an assault on maiden peak from willamette pass resort.

Pretty much took a straight line from car park to summit. Had to break trail all the way and didn't have any buddies to share the work. Was rewarded with great summit view but th skiing down was crap. Wind crust up top, then sun crust, then heavy wet slop that stuck to my skis, then rain crust and slop to the bottom. Snow was very sticky and I hadn't waxed skis in about 2 years so each step downwards meant lugging 8lbs of snows.

Was a great day, amazing weather, seems like a nice day for May, potty its early Feb. Praying for snow

Where's the pics?
    did you ride the chair or just skin up & go off cherokee ridge towards shelter & up?

Name:	DSC01464.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	938.7 KB 
ID:	109615

Where's the pics?
    did you ride the chair or just skin up & go off cherokee ridge towards shelter and up
    Sorry for delay.
    I skinned from the PCT trail head and took a direct line towards MP, skirting the edge of one of the ski trails, crossed a flat plateau to meet the Maiden peak saddle, followed the pct for a little until I was perpendicular to MP summit and then skinned straight to the summit.
    Returned via lower rosary lake and then PC trail.

Not at all optimal for skiing. Seemed like a good route on the map to reduce distance but it was still quite far.

Name:	6855076119_fa7778e9ca.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	109999

Today's excursion was Odell Butte. Parked in a pullover near the Odell butte road which goes towards the summer.

Was hoping there would have been a few inches of fresh snow but it was very mild and sunny.

Bush whacked straight to the summit. Been sick all week so took it easy and got to the fire lookout in over 1.5 hours. Amazing views and mild up top. Rested in the sun for an hour.

Original plan was to ski down the north side in the hope of finding softer snow. I felt like scrap and there didn't look like snow worth the re-climb so decided against. North slope looks like some good steep terrain but dense trees.

On the descent, the top 500ft were great with a hardback covered in just enough soft corn. The remained of the descent was horrible rain and sun crust, bush whacking, leg-breaker crust made for survival skiing. Just enough snow to ski back to highway 58 but if it does snow soon the lower slopes will be bare.

Attachment 110000

Attachment 110001

Attachment 110002

Quote Originally Posted by p@wder View Post
    Today's excursion was Odell Butte. Parked in a pullover near the Odell butte road which goes towards the summer.

Was hoping there would have been a few inches of fresh snow but it was very mild and sunny.

Bush whacked straight to the summit. Been sick all week so took it easy and got to the fire lookout in over 1.5 hours. Amazing views and mild up top. Rested in the sun for an hour.

Original plan was to ski down the north side in the hope of finding softer snow. I felt like scrap and there didn't look like snow worth the re-climb so decided against. North slope looks like some good steep terrain but dense trees.

On the descent, the top 500ft were great with a hardback covered in just enough soft corn. The remained of the descent was horrible rain and sun crust, bush whacking, leg-breaker crust made for survival skiing. Just enough snow to ski back to highway 58 but if it does snow soon the lower slopes will be bare.
    its a little longer slog but you could always park on the Crescent Cut-off and and go up and down the north side.

I like BC.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Love it!

BTW, COAA showing 2 movies Feb 23rd at McMenamins

Wyoming Triumph and FreeRider
    9 pm show, 8 bucks

2.23.12@9.$8/got itThanks T.

This, boys and girls, is what skiing in Oregon is all about!

I like BC.

PS sorry I haven't been contributing to my own damn thread. I'm out for what appears to be at least a few more months with a bullshit ankle injury. Will be learning to play guitar, paint with watercolors, and will be making semi-monthly trips to gimp-friendly hot springs! Sucks, but such is the life of a skier I guess...

spook Guest
    I like BC.
    man i'm hanging out at the wrong hill

I like BC.
    i have seen the purple haze out the door with bob bogarting the j

linds r u going to the COAA show? spook I know a few secret stashes.........good eye alpy.

Yes I am. It was a mighty fine-looking day today, where's the stoke?

Was xtra good today linds. One of the crew took a few pics I'll post up later. Prolly best day so far this year.