Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Skiied them in 3-4 foot blower in the trees. They were amazing and so durable after my night of bushwhacking in the backcountry
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

So quick to initiate. When you gas em they go and tail can be tossed. On variable death crust they held an edge. In setup pow the bigger tip and rocker really kept you up and able to engage it. So three days in Canada and the 191 Fat was able to give 'er
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

pics or it didn't happen.

Splat, why are these so good? You said the 191 fats were better at slarving not railing, but the 191s rail. I'm trying to figure out where the elfin magic is. Are they torsionally stiffer than say the DPS skis? There's something about them that doesn't add up (actually the sum is more than the parts) and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what it is. What kind of cloth do they use in Trab & DPS skis?

I said they'd slarve better than the 187s. They do indeed rail. Look at the pic of Punani all the way up on edge a couple pages back. Also, somewhere in this thread, I mentioned how the slightest variation in the sidecut profile can make a world of difference. This has been our year to nail construction with carbon fibers we had been dreaming to include in the skis. I don't know what other companies use, only what we use. But the hybrids do everything the all carbons do, they simply weigh a few ounces more, so I'm going with the sidecut as the predominant influence in how the Fats ski.

I don't believe you I think you have a voodoo altar & priestesses of the black arts

Attachment 108085

powdork stopped by the shop tonite and got some freshly pressed all carbon 191 Fats in the softer version (they're quite stiff, actually). He walked in as we were finishing them and told us he was on his way to Crater Lake for some solo bc skiing.
    So we did the whole stonegrind, wax and mount so he could bring back some pow footie on them.
    It was kind of hilarious as we all ran through the paces of getting him set up and out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    So we did the whole stonegrind, wax and mount so he could bring back some pow footie on them.
    Only you, Pat. Only you.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

OMG.. I have so much luggage for my trip to Jackson ! Shall I leave the Stockli (101mm 193cm) behind and just ski the 191 Carbon FAT every day !? If this storm keeps going I'll never use the Stockli !! Or I might never actually arrive either !

You won't be needing those Stockli's, Alex.
    Looks like you got that snow you hoped for...

Our website is down and so is my email for the next 5 days.
    Any questions , send me a pm here...

^ cmor has some avy control to do?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Oh it happened Pat....
    191 Fat at Big Red Cats in Rossland BC

Cat skiing is fun

The crew for the day (with Calisnow)

Revelstoke

Uh, Yah its that deep, hike for it off the Stoke Chair

We had boot deep off the Cat and waist deep at Revelstoke.

Lhasa handled it all. Variable crust, death cookies, consolidated snow, rutted cat tracks, trees, survival skiing, groomers and DEEEEEEEEEP POWWWW
    Last edited by whyturn; 01-20-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

I'm Stoked to be in Revelstoke

Slide Path at BRC

Don't get cliffed out

Crossing Shelter Bay on the ferry, BRRR and Burly

Revelstoke is massive
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Whyturn, was BRC every thing you hoped it would be terrainwise and how many runs per day? Were you held up by the group? Expert cat Ect.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

whyturn, care to comment on the difference between the 191 Fat and the 187 Renegade?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

BRC has 19000 acres and 8 mtns. Terrain is varied and all types including jumps off rocks on expert. Glades, trees bowls and steeps. 9 runs per day of 1000-1500 vert. Great Crew and no real issues. Guides are top notch.

Lhasa fat is all Mtn pow and renegade is pow all Mtn. Both are stable, light and quick. Just get both, they are diff enough and sick. Love em-full compare in separate thread with quiver of three-Lhasa fat, 196 renegade and megawatt
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Looking back at all conditions and benefits my favorite is stability I. Swingweight and fat tip. At times I wanted to swing it around in tight ares to make fall line direction change. It was stable on one ski while other came around, planed quickly and then tips cane up and mach down fallline. As I headed into trees it turned quick, was light and effortless. Great all around ski. A true do it all ski. Flew to Canada a d just wanted one pair and it was always performing. I really prefer the 30+ radius skis and feel this ski is an operators ski unlike the RP112 which seems to be geared towards the venturing into pow crowd. This ski can be intuitive and easy but will charge and kill it when you give it gas
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Piggity, care to comment on the differences between the 187 Fat and the 191 Fat since you have both? I was kinda torn between the two, and didn't see much info comparing the two. The dims on the 191 just seemed more what I was looking for, but it'd be nice to get some more info out there.
    I'm not good at putting these things into words so bare with me on the comparison, I'll try my best.

The 187 fats felt like the 191 fats little brother, very similar in versatility. If your in tits deep pow above tree line and want to do Mach looney then the advantage probably goes to the 191's. If you're in thigh deep pow in tight trees then I think the 187's would be my choice. The 187's float pow and bust crud with ease but slight advantage to the 191's. The 191's handle very well on packed powder/hard pack but the 187's are ridiculous in these conditions. I opened it up full throttle on lower mountain heading back to the lift and the faster I went the better they performed. Felt like I had sub 100mm skis on in the hard pack. I was originally worried about major overlap but there is a definite difference. The 187's will be my everyday ski and the 191's will be for waist deep pow
    Last edited by Piggity; 01-22-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: for perspective, 215lbs mid 30's recreational skier

powdork takes the carbon 191 Lhasa Fats for a spin in the trees.

OK.. have had 2 days on the full carbon 191 FAT now... just running out door for dinner, but they are fcking GREAT ! LOVE THEM... Pat congrats on an amazing ski.. so versitle and as you say I dont need the Stockli really and dont see me using them this trip. What I'm most pleased about is how the carbon gives them a playful nature, but also they are stiff enough to really not be deflected even though the ski is so light.. I have FKS 18's on them and this was a good choice IMO.. skied them every condition going from great powder, to really heavy stuff in the trees. Piste etc etc.. very impressed. I prefer them so much more than the regular 191's. How can they be more versitile and bigger?! What I also liked so much was how much rebound you can get with them also, however get them in the powder and they excel. In terms of mount I went 0.5cm back on advice from Pat. Personally I think I could have gone further, but I'm happy anyway as you just adjust from ski to ski. Will do a more detailed very in a couple of days and add pics when I work out how from my camera!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    I'm not good at putting these things into words so bare with me on the comparison, I'll try my best.

The 187 fats felt like the 191 fats little brother, very similar in versatility. If your in tits deep pow above tree line and want to do Mach looney then the advantage probably goes to the 191's. If you're in thigh deep pow in tight trees then I think the 187's would be my choice. The 187's float pow and bust crud with ease but slight advantage to the 191's. The 191's handle very well on packed powder/hard pack but the 187's are ridiculous in these conditions. I opened it up full throttle on lower mountain heading back to the lift and the faster I went the better they performed. Felt like I had sub 100mm skis on in the hard pack. I was originally worried about major overlap but there is a definite difference. The 187's will be my everyday ski and the 191's will be for waist deep pow
    Piggity - did I sell you my pair of 187 testers from last year?
    Cause I had a hand bevel put on those and they really sliced.
    It's very much a trad sidecut. The tail is 11mm narrower than the tip.
    The 191 Lhasa Fat tail is 18.5mm narrower than the tip.
    They are indeed different and your description is right on.
    The 187 is like a hot rod with a four wheel drive option built into it.

Thanks for the info guys. No buyers remorse from me!

photos

The un-drilled ones with the 188 top sheets.

The 187 is like a hot rod with a four wheel drive option built into it.
    Bingo...it was like having 4 wheel drive on a GTO. On the other hand, the 191's were like a big ole 4 wheel drive that rides like a Caddy Northstar.

The bases on both skis are bomber. But bringing out new skis in early season conditions was not smart, pretty dumb on my part. Submerged rocks and stumps everywhere. Normally I don't care about injuring my gear cause it's meant to be used. But these things are brand new and so purty that it tugs at my heart strings to see them wounded from battle this weekend. End of sob story.

edit: if those are the ones you hand beveled then I owe you a beer, they railed.
    Last edited by Piggity; 01-24-2012 at 07:03 PM.