Kindle Library Books

I finally checked out a library book for my Kindle and now I'm asking myself: what took me so long? The Seattle Public Library seems to have a pretty good selection. Yes, popular titles are going to have a waiting list, but to me that 'price' is worth paying for having access to books for free. Anyone else doing this and what's your experience been?

doughboyshredder Guest
    didn't know you could. Thought it hadn't been rolled out yet. How do you do it?

From the SPL site there's a link for "Digital Media." From there you follow the link to "Overdrive Digital Books and Media." From there you can browse or search for the books. There are also lots of audio books available in mp3 or wma format. Once you find what you want you can check it out. You'll be taken to the Amazon website and there will be a button to download the book. If you've got a WiFi enabled Kindle it will go directly to the device, otherwise you connect through USB and copy the file over. Very simple!

doughboyshredder Guest
    Seattle and King county have reciprocity, so with your Seattle card you can check out from the king county library also.
    I just applied for my first library card in as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    I just applied for my first library card in as long as I can remember.
    What?????

I think libraries are a sanctuary.....a cathedral of knowledge and prose.

Seattle's new downtown library is one of the coolest libraries I've yet seen, and as a fan of libraries as others might be fans of museums, I've seen a LOT of libraries around the world. It sure as hell beats the "homeless shelter with books" that was the OLD Seattle library.

The Loussac Library in Anchorage is another first class city library....oil money.

I guess there are binding obligations that stop a library from just copying new HTML, PDF or EPub files when ebooks are popular. I can't wrap my brain around an ebook file being either 'sold-out' or 'fully loaned out'....seems an absurd concept for an utterly digital file.

Here's my favorite FREE ebook source (they have files in ALL popular ebook formats)...they have an absolutely AMAZING amount of old classics. Like I said in another thread, the only caveat is that the author must have been dead for I believe 75 years. But that still covers a LOT of extremely good and famous authors.

Oh yeah...forgot to mention that the website is Project Gutenburg. Here is it's link:

http://www.gutenberg.org

Here is a list of just their 25 most popular author downloads. They have MANY more.
    Dickens, Charles 97050 downloads
    Twain, Mark 87817 downloads
    Doyle, Arthur Conan, Sir 66998 downloads
    Shakespeare, William 48640 downloads
    Austen, Jane 47864 downloads
    Poe, Edgar Allan 39831 downloads
    Wells, H. G. (Herbert George) 32511 downloads
    Hoffman, Frederick, Captain 32130 downloads
    Wolryche-Whitmore, H. B. 32130 downloads
    Bevan, A. Beckford 32130 downloads
    Carroll, Lewis 31036 downloads
    Verne, Jules 29451 downloads
    Wilde, Oscar 28651 downloads
    Burton, Richard Francis, Sir 28590 downloads
    Dumas, Alexandre 27387 downloads
    Burroughs, Edgar Rice 26942 downloads
    Stevenson, Robert Louis 26936 downloads
    Tolstoy, Leo, graf 25852 downloads
    Wodehouse, P. G. (Pelham Grenville) 25572 downloads
    Grimm, Jacob 25365 downloads
    Grimm, Wilhelm 25365 downloads
    Vatsyayana 24645 downloads
    Indrajit, Bhagavanlal 23569 downloads
    Bhide, Shivaram Parashuram 23569 downloads
    Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

doughboyshredder Guest
    Before I got my kindle I loved book stores and buying books. I didn't like having to give a book back to the library.
    Also, I can find information I need much easier on line than I can in a library.

Thanks for the link.

bumping this to add that more and more ebooks are being added every day. I travel a lot and hold library cards in three states. it's easy to search a couple of libraries while on the road, down load a few books and if it turns out they suck, just return them and off they go. I didn't buy a Kindle for the longest time and now, I can't live without it.

I even have work files sent directly to my Kindle. Awesome.

Love my kindle. Never thought I would. I used the Boston Public Library until I was given a cd with 1000 books on it.
    BPL only lets you borrow kindle books for 2 weeks and You can't renew without getting back in the queue, seems flawed.

I found a nice trick with library books. The books won't get deleted from your Kindle unless you're connected to the internet. So as long as you keep the Kindle's wireless turned off you can keep reading the book after the loan period has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I found a nice trick with library books. The books won't get deleted from your Kindle unless you're connected to the internet. So as long as you keep the Kindle's wireless turned off you can keep reading the book after the loan period has ended.
    Sweet! That little trick will come in handy as I try to finish the 500+ page final Stieg Larsen book in the three weeks my library gives me. Thanks