Temporary housing

A man and his dog

J'ai faim ("I´m hungry")

Central heating, Paris style

nice, gritty little series...

got any more?

they should occupy something...

Good shots btw
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Don´t have any more, sorry. You should look forward to my next trip to Paris, I guess.

Thank you both for the kind words, had them in RGB first, but decided they are more fitting as grained-out-the-ass monochrome conversions. My own favourite is "Central heating(...)". I´m sure there are some critics out there, willing to give me some, and that´s very welcome. Bring it!

These guys don´t occupy much more than the sidewalks they´re sitting on, and counter to the gypsies running around Paris trying to steal every bit of valuable you´ve got, these were very friendly, talkative and willing to be photographed. I find that´s the general norm, really, especially if you hand them a few bucks in advance.

The classic scene "j'ai faim" is pretty normal, people looking generally starved right in front of a burger joint. I shook that guy´s hand, he was very grateful, and I felt nothing but bones underneath his gloves. Glad I keep desinfectant in my camera bag all the time, heh.

Great shots!

Flying to Paris on Sunday, spending some time with family in Italy for Christmas then back to Paris 4 days around New Years... super excited about doing lots of photography while there.

Good stuff!

I don't want to derail this thread but I just saw this and think it is appropriate. Incredibly awesome B/W homeless portraits. http://thumbpress.com/25-incredibly-...-lee-jeffries/

Great shots! I've really become interested in urban photography, but it's hard to practice around here, and I'm not too comfortable with shooting random strangers.
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    Great shots! I've really become interested in urban photography, but it's hard to practice around here, and I'm not too comfortable with shooting random strangers.
    That's why you use a longer lens. With 85mm on a crop they don't even know you are taking their picture

But I know what you mean. Some people have no problem sticking their camera in anyones face. I always feel awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    That's why you use a longer lens. With 85mm on a crop they don't even know you are taking their picture
    Heh, try 70-200...that has been my go-to lens for the little urban people photography I've done. But I'd like to shoot up-close as well. There's a different feel to shots when you're right there.

I like the speed of the 1.4 and an 85 prime is much less conspicuous than a big white monstrosity

I like the speed of the 1.4 and an 85 prime is much less conspicuous than a big white monstrosity
    Yes, the white does stand out. I have the 35/1.4, but need to get REALLY close with that (too close for my comfort). Just got a 50/1.4 recently, and am interested to try it out in Chicago next week.

Heh. I pretty much only use my 24/1.4, all these shots are shot with that lens, these photos are uncropped (except for the 1.3x crop sensor, that is). But, for someone not coomfortable yet shooting perfect strangers up, close and personal, an 85/1.8 or so is what I´d choose. Still, I think there is something to be said for being close to the subjects, creates a more intimate scene.

Going full frame some time in the future, will pick up a 35/1.4 then (seems Canon is releasing a new one in 2012!).

Thanks for all the cool comments!

BurnHard: I´m incredibly jealous of you. Wish I lived in Paris, at times. I even managed to force out some French this last time! My wife and I are thinking of moving to Nice in the future, close to the Alps and all.

But I know what you mean. Some people have no problem sticking their camera in anyones face. I always feel awkward.
    I make sure to talk to my "models" first, make sure they understand what I´m doing, and why. I feel uncomfortable about just randomly shooting someone, as their reaction to being shot is something that can ruin a photograph for me, personally.

Go out and shoot, Fuzz!