Introducing PitPod - A new free iPhone app for recording snow and avalanche data

PitPod, a new iPhone and iPod touch application for recording snow pits and avalanches is now available for free on the iTunes store. PitPod is your digital snow and avalanche field book.

Imagine: you see an avalanche, you ski over to the crown, record a crown profile on your iPhone, GPS map the path as you ski down, and then share the crown profile and a map of the slide with your friends on Facebook right from the toe of the debris. With PitPod you can do all that and more on your iPhone or iPod touch.
    PitPod was developed out of a desire to be able to easily enter snow and avalanche data in the field, and then electronically share that data, and it uses all those fancy features on your iPhone to make it as easy as possible. It is full featured enough for use by avalanche professionals, but simple enough to be used by back country skiers and snowboarders.
    PitPod includes inclinometer, GPS, and compass support so you can accurately mark your field sites.
    Supported export formats include diagrams of snow pits in image and PDF format, KML maps of avalanches, CAAML xml, SnowPilot XML. It can upload to Facebook, it can even print.

For more information about PitPod see http://www.pitpod.net

You can download PitPod now at http://itunes.apple.com/ke/app/pitpod/id477838698?mt=8 or search for PitPod on the iTunes store.

Will it have the capability to bring up datasets from previous years within those same lat/long coordinates (once it has seen enough seasons of use, of course), so that the compiled data can be compared and weighed?

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Will it have the capability to bring up datasets from previous years within those same lat/long coordinates (once it has seen enough seasons of use, of course), so that the compiled data can be compared and weighed?

--
    Yeah, there will be a new release coming out in January that will have that feature.

Check your emails from the website. You are welcome to put a press release into The Avalanche Review with details. Contact me for more info.

That's kinda cool.

Any way you can pull data from other avalanche reporting sites like CAIC?

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    That's kinda cool.

Any way you can pull data from other avalanche reporting sites like CAIC?
    Right now it's focused more on inputing data that receiving data, but that is planned for a later release.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Check your emails from the website. You are welcome to put a press release into The Avalanche Review with details. Contact me for more info.
    Seriously- this is a free ad in the periodical that goes to all the avalanche professionals in the US. I will do this for you for free- just had a press release from the Ullr lab guys and I know a lot of avy professionals are using their MAST product.

Just in case anyone is still interested in real field books.

http://www.hacksawpublishing.com
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Beijing one day tour with more than 60 options. Price from $20 per person for the tour to Great Wall.

Beijing One Day Tour
    Panda Zoo

I will stick with the old school for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Just in case anyone is still interested in real field books.

http://www.hacksawpublishing.com
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

PitPod is now called Avalanche Lab. A much better name, less reminiscent of BO. And there is a new version out, easier to use, and a bunch of new features. Check out http://avalanchelab.com

Quote Originally Posted by mountainGoat09 View Post
    PitPod is now called Avalanche Lab. A much better name, less reminiscent of BO. And there is a new version out, easier to use, and a bunch of new features. Check out http://avalanchelab.com
    I downloaded the original "PitPod" and just updated the app to "Avy Lab". I used it for the first time this weekend and I am really impressed. I took my field notes and updated the data when I returned.

I hope it is alright for me to comment on a couple of features I feel would be nice as an upgrade.

1. Stability Tests - It would be nice to graph those with a red line to show the failure layers.

2. Camera - I took some pictures of crystals with my iPhone Microscope and I wanted to include those with the Observation; however, it only allows for you to take a picture not to insert a previously taken picture. It would be nice to be able to insert a picture.

3. Location - You either have to know your Lat/Lon or mark the location at the moment. I could have started an Observation on the spot; however, I ended up entering the data once home. This made it a little more difficult. Would be nice to use one of the map applications to narrow down a location (this is a minor suggestion).

Overall I thought the app was great and have enjoyed using it as another tool. I will definitly continue using it and will probably make some adjustments in my data collection to make up for some of the functionality enhancements I listed above (Mark the location while there, take pictures and insert while on site, etc...).

Once again, thanks for putting this together and making it a free app. Where can I send contributions?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Stability tests are drawn on the diagram next to the layer matching the fracture depth for the test. But I'll see what i can do with drawing some sort of line from the result to the location, There might be a good way to visualize that.

If you'd like to make a contribution I accept payPal payments at jesse At pitpod.net, or send me a private message and i can send you a mailing address.
    In the new version you can double tap on a location on the map in the location screen to set your location, or you can let the gps set it and then drag the pin to where you want it.

New Version of Avalanche Lab available

A new version of Avalanche Lab, 0.93, is now available on the App Store. This release is mostly bug fixes, but also has a few new features.

New features include:
    Attach photos from camera roll to an observation.
    Observations can now be sorted by distance from current location.
    New mode for selecting multiple observations and viewing a series of Pit Diagrams.

Fixed a bug that could occasionally cause data to be lost.
    Fixed several bugs improving that could cause crashes on older devices.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Seriously- this is a free ad in the periodical that goes to all the avalanche professionals in the US. I will do this for you for free- just had a press release from the Ullr lab guys and I know a lot of avy professionals are using their MAST product.

Hummmmmmmm?

Hacksaw: What?
    I was very glad to get some free publicity in the February issue of The Avalanche Review.

Some of us have paid for our ads for years in the Avalanche Review.

You should be happy....

Well, he is giving the app away free, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Some of us have paid for our ads for years in the Avalanche Review.

You should be happy....
    Hacksaw that was a one-time offer for a piece for What's New. We appreciate our long-term advertisers tremendously, as I hope you know.

A new version of Avalanche Lab is now available on the App Store. One of the main focuses of this release is support for New Zealand.
    Whats new this version:

After creating a new snow observation, you must choose a type of observation, Quick Observation, Quick Pit, Full Pit, or Weather observation. The option shown for the observation are based on the type of observation.
    New Weather forms for Canada, New Zealand, and USA, that include all of the weather fields specified in their national weather observation standards. These forms are only used for “Weather Observation” observations. Other types of observations use a simpler weather form.
    Avalanche data collection now complies with standards for Canada, New Zealand, and USA.
    Better support for exporting SnowPilot XML. Export your data from Avalanche Lab, and import it into Snow Pilot on your desktop.
    Assorted bug fixes.